Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

multiple indexes in simultaneous development

Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm in a situation where I work on different versions of our software, sometimes simultaneously. And now have an issue with indexes.

I introduced an index in software version 1 (for example)

I improved on that index (adding more keywords, cross-references, etc manually) in software version 2. We're talking 100+ new entries.

I now am working on software version 1.5

I will soon be working on software version 3

Question:  How can I easily bring the improved index from version 2 into version 1.5?

I don't know which is the best option, or if I am missing an option.

1.  Should I just copy/replace the index file in an explorer window, outside of RH?

2.  Should I copy/paste the contents of the index version 2 and replace the contents of version 1.5?

3.   Is there an easy way?

4.  What will happen to an index entry from version 2 that is not in the documentation of version 1.5?  Will it be bolded? Will it display in the output.

I think I've gotten myself into a little trouble here........

thanks!

RH9, Webhelp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

No problem. At some point you will have taken a copy of iteration one's project and added that to CVS as iteration two. From that point onwards your iteration two index would be the same as iteration one. If you added keywords to it, it would be the index to use for iteration two. The index for iteration one would be unaffected as it would still be in CVS in a separate project.

Things only get a little more complicated if you are working on two different iterations of the project at the same time

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you dealing with the different document iterations. Are they in separate RH projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Sorry, I should have explained that.

Each iteration is its own RH project., managed in CVS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. At some point you will have taken a copy of iteration one's project and added that to CVS as iteration two. From that point onwards your iteration two index would be the same as iteration one. If you added keywords to it, it would be the index to use for iteration two. The index for iteration one would be unaffected as it would still be in CVS in a separate project.

Things only get a little more complicated if you are working on two different iterations of the project at the same time. If this is the case it may be better to finish one iteration first and copy the <projectname>.hhk file into the other project. Provided you haven't rrenamed or deleted any topics all references will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's not that simple.

Some iterations are on CVS branches, some are on a common trunk.  So, in my example above doc version 2 is on a branch, while doc version 1 and 1.5 are on a common trunk.   I am often working on different iterations of the project at the same time, orginating from different cvs locations. 

I will try the copy the hhk file from v2 to v1.5.  If there are references in v2 which are not in v1.5 what could the impact be?  Well, I guess I will find out....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't wait until one iteration is complete and copy the HHK file, there is no other option but to make the index amendments in more than one project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

just a follow-up in case someone else has this problem:

I copied the hhk file and observed index keywords without associated files display in the "broken link" folder.  I was able to resolve them.  The iterations were not very far apart in terms of content, so I manually deleted keywords not used in that particular version  which were otherwise associated to existing files and did not display as broken links.

hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp