• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I see a list of OLE links in my book?

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a FrameMaker 9.0 book that has several OLE links to Excel spreadsheets. How do I create a list of references to those spreadsheets, similar to the one I could create for a list of imported graphics?

I am aware of the Links dialog box, but due to the length of the path name and the restriction on resizing that dialog box (grrrr!), the information is unusable. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't within FM. The Links dialog is the only mechanism within FM that lets you know about OLE links (that's one of the reasons OLE is not a best practices method for getting content into FM). Alternatively, FM will let you import Excel files by reference, so depending upon the content needed, this might be something else to consider.

A last resort would be to create MIF verisons of your FM files and then use a grep-like search tool to find the OLE entries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis.  Unfortunately, importing by reference will not work for our purposes.

I did try saving as MIF and using MIFBrowse but that seemed like more trouble than it was worth!  Maybe I'll revisit now that I know that that is sort of my only option.

Do you know if the Links dialog box can be resized in either FrameMaker 10 or 11?  That would actually work for us, but the paths are so long the text becomes garbled, as you can see.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sue,

Unfortunately, the dialogue can't be re-sized and the behaviour is the same in version up to FM11.

One thing that you might be able to try is to (at the system level) create a mapped drive to the deepest common level and use the drive in FM when linking, e.g. let K: map to "C:\... whatever ...\Model Reports\Asia\Korea data\Version 9.0\ "

You might need to do a one-shot re-link or a search & replace in the MIF to do this to get the mapped drive to show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines