• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't YouTube embedded video play from PowerPoint?

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed the normal process to embed video in PowerPoint 2010 (32 bit), and playback worked without issues a couple of months ago.  Now it does not.  I have completed all of the troubleshooting tips, and reinstalled latest FlashPlayer 32-bit, etc.  When I go to play the embedded video in PPT, the following message appears:

"To play the selected item, you must install a later version of the Adobe Flash Player. To download the Adobe Flash Player, go to the Adobe website."FlashPlayer Error.JPG

Flash Version.JPGPPT version.JPG

There does not appear to be any settings changed in browser (IE / Chrome), Windows Media Player, or PowerPoint.

Need a solution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the Flash Player ActiveX (Internet Explorer), not the embedded player in Google Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2013 Mar 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the above.  I removed Chrome, installed ActiveX.  Restarted.  The same problem exists - cannot play embedded video in PPT.

Any other suggestions / fixes?

Adobe ActiveX installed.JPG

Flash Version.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2013 Mar 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link / info was interesting, but after taking the suggestion per the site, to delete the extra "version3" - it did not work.

The site wasn't guaranteeing it - "Hopefully it will now play!"

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you delete both instances.

Can you post the corrected code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to the embedded video code from YouTube, captured it and pasted it into the "insert video from Web site" and then deleted both "version=3" instances in the code:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/od8cUvPyvsg?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/od8cUvPyvsg?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

That seemed to do the trick! 

Many thanks for that help.  Not sure what caused prior embedded videos to no longer play - that still is baffling, because I hadn't done anything with the code until today.

Gracias!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a new security update that breaks the old code. We now have both a completely free and also a pro (not free but not expensive!) AddIn available from the link on the same page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  That helps.  For as many / few of these types of presentations, it is just 1 more simple step to remove the 2 "version=3" components of that code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. This does work, as long as flash is updated... It is a pain especially for PPT files that have worked before and do not now. Is this being addressed at all???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously I have no idea if it's being addressed by Adobe. Our pro AddIn now can fix already embedded You tube video automatically and enable autoplay. While it isn't free it won't exactly break the bank at under $15

The free version will auto fix the code for insertion for you but not fix already embedded video

http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/You_Tube_PowerPoint_Doesn%27t_Play.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSRWilson wrote:

Obviously I have no idea if it's being addressed by Adobe.

If you think this is something that should be addressed by Adobe, open a bug report at https://bugbase.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else still having problems with this?  I haven't had luck with removing 'version=3' from embed code.  Powerpoint gives me this error if I do:

'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is located on the Internet, connect to the Internet. If the file is located on a removable storage card, insert the storage card.'

I think I have modified the embed code correctly:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/od8cUvPyvsg?hl=en_US&&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/od8cUvPyvsg?hl=en_US&&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try having only one ampersand after en_US in both instances below.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/od8cUvPyvsg?hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><par am name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/od8cUvPyvsg?hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have the same problem. JSRWilson's fix no longer seems to be working. Any updates?

The old way using 'Developer tab > More Controls > Shockwave Flash Object' works, but autoplay doesn't seem to work in this manner...no way to have a PPT run with timings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, used old code, deleted version3, added ampersand aftrer en_US, not getting the popup anymore but video won't play automatically or when clicked.

If anyone has been able to resolve this issue, please advise. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2013 Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see the comment below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2013 Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on Powerpoints over the last few months to get ready for a course I have to start teaching in July.  Previously embedding Youtube videos with the version=3 removed x 2 worked.  I was reviewing all the previously finished presentations that were working at one point and now the Youtube clips no longer show.  Anyone else having this same problem.  I even tried to create a new powerpoint presentation and have the same issue.  It is prompting again to download the latest version of Flash, which I tried again.  What's happening here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Avrilley81, it looks like we're experiencing the same issue. Please let me know if you come across a fix. Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  I uninstalled every version of Adobe Flash/Shockwave and reinstalled them.  I tried deleting any code after the question mark behind the link to the end of version=3 and it no longer works.  I just did that fix last week and it worked and now it doesn't.

I hope there is some sort of fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As do I. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have tried even at work today

on multiple different computers and same effect. Something must have

changed. What exactly I don't know exactly. How do you go about either

emailing Microsoft or Adobe directly. Both of their support websites could

be improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was one of the features that Powerpoint 2010 offered. The Delevoper Tab way works...BUT that wasn't what was boasted.

Now that Microsoft has Office 2013 and Office 356, I wonder if they will look into a fix for all 3? I wonder if 2013 has this feature and/or problem? I will bet they don't care if Youtube works, as Bing videos probably will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually tried this in Outlook 2013 as well and received the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a developer tab in the 2010 version of Powerpoint? I thought that

was only in 2007. I agree probably something that is not high on their

priority list with making sure Youtube works with their products. No one

seems to know the answer on another fix for the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ppt-developer-tab-classic-menu-2-700-424.jpg

I always found that step 4 could happen by putting a checkbox in the Developer spot on the right, but as long as you get the tab.

There are lots of walkthroughs on how to insert Youtube from Developer tab from the 2007 days, so I won't add more here unless needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines