• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE 2.0 crashes under Vista Home

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2013 Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First at the end of the installation I recieve the following message about migration stopped working (note that I had v. 1.7.2 installed)

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    migration.exe

Application Version:    1.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:    50583571

Fault Module Name:    KERNEL32.dll

Fault Module Version:    6.0.6002.18704

Fault Module Timestamp:    5065ccb6

Exception Code:    e0434f4d

Exception Offset:    0003fc16

OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID:    4105

Then when I start ADE 2.0 I have a dialog informing me that Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 stopped working.

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    DigitalEditions.exe

Application Version:    2.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:    5058357c

Fault Module Name:    KERNEL32.dll

Fault Module Version:    6.0.6002.18704

Fault Module Timestamp:    5065ccb6

Exception Code:    e0434f4d

Exception Offset:    0003fc16

OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID:    4105

Although I can revert backt to v. 1.7.2. it is getting a problem for me because ebook sites requiring more and more ADE v. 2.0 installed. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any attempt from Adobe to explain these crashes? Note that I had uninstalled ADE 1.7.2 with Revo Uninstaller before I reinstalled v. 2.0, but I still got the same result. Will I ever be able to upgrade ADE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE2.0 is a very buggy program.  I still use 1.7.2 as it is adequate for me and works with my PRS-350; but I can see that there are a couple of features of ADE 2.0 that would be useful (if it worked at all).

First, just in case. Did you have an option 'skip' or 'migrate data' when installing ADE2.0.  Try choosing the option 'skip'.

(Just did a test and installed V2.0 on Windows 8 using the 'Skip' options, and without un-installing 1.7.2 and it worked.

Of course, that doesn't mean it will work for you ...)

If you have done that or it doesn't work, try the following.  I can't promise anything as I haven't tried it; but .....

Uninstall v1.7.2.

Check for all directories relating to Digital Editions and delete them (or safer, rename them in case they contain books etc).  eg

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Temp\Digital Editions

C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

C:\Users\<userid>\Documents\My Digital Editions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying to help me. As I mentionned above I used Revo Uninstaller. I used it with "advanced" clean-up when I uninstalled 1.7.2. This option found lots of registry entries, files and directories. I cleaned up all. On the other hand when I am installing v. 2.0 I am not offered any "Skip" option. (Only file association, shortcut installation and install directory location.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds as if Revo Uninstaller had done a pretty good job! 

Maybe it still missed something so that ADE2.0 tried to do a migrate but found an incompatible set up files etc.

Have you tried installing V2.0 without uninstalling v1.7.2?

They can both live on the same machine at the same time (when all goes well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that both versions can be installed. It does not make the difference though. The same two crashes above will occur even if I have v. 1.7.2  left there.  Now your "skip" option puzzles me. Why don't I have that? Because I am using Vista Home (with all the recent updates)? Only thing is not "standard" on my laptop is Norton Internet Security, which turns off Windows security to replace it with its own. Can that be a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 14, 2013 Apr 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd.  I doubt Norton would be the issue; might be worth trying an install it turned off though.  And maybe whatever firewall as well (I have seen firewall issues with ADE in this forum, though not like yours).

Make sure you don't have an eReader device plugged in while trying to install.  (You probably didn't anyway, but ... clutching at straws.)  ADE2.0 has some very odd behaviour with some eReader devices that work fine on 1.7.2.  I don't know if the problems you have seen could be related, but worth a try just in case.

Really out of ideas now though.

~~~

Side comments: probably irrelevant but may spark an idea.

I can't remember the exact sequence I went through, but I think I upgraded v1.7.2 to v2.0 on Vista before upgrading my Vista to Windows 8.

(whatever, I quickly changed back to v1.7.2 after getting my wife an excellent Sony PRS-350 that kills ADE2.0 on overdrive books).

I don't think I even installed v1.7.2 on my Windows8, just ran the old .exe file from its old place in the previous Vista (my old Vista C drive is F on Windows8).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think I just give up now. Norton, that includes a firewall as well, has a very detailed log. This log  indicates nothing during installation, so I am sure turning Norton Internet Security off won't solve my problem. Just a note to Adobe - if anybody from there is reading this - in my 20+ years of extensive experience with computers  (Windows, Unix, IBM/370) I have not come accross such a disasterous installation process and such a total lack of vendor support. (I called Adobe support line they told me to use adobe forum as a support for ADE.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  ADE 2.0 is a load of untested rubbish.

Unfortunately, Adobe hides behind the fact that ADE is 'free' to choose not to support it.  They ignore the fact that for many people it is an essential part of the Adobe ADEPT DRM infrastructure.  (ADEPT seems such a bad name for such an inept infrastructure.)  I assume they make a profit out of licensing ADEPT to the various publishers and they should step up to proper support for all of its infrastructure.  Or maybe they don't really make a profit from it, but are now stuck with it round their necks?

Difficult to choose between a relatively open infrastructure that doesn't work properly, and a complete closed one (Amazon/Kindle) that does.  People who want to use European libraries don't get the choice, its Adobe DRM or nothing.  The people I feel really sorry for are the poor librarians who have to try to provide support to many of the general public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it is a free program, which you are forced to use if you are buyining an Adobe DRM protected ebook and the ebook is not from the same company as your ebook reader. Now, once you pay the purchase price (sorry, the rental fee for lifetime) of an ebook, which can be as high as the price of a paperback (sometimes that of a hardcover) you don't feel like using a buggy, unupdatable, unsupported software. The ebook vendor had to refund me because v. 1.7.2 lost the book cover, messed up the fonts and I did not have v. 2.0. of  ADE. Well I think it is just one more reason to avoid Adobe DRM protected books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines