Exit

Coldfusion & Ajax

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2007 Jan 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get more into Ajax with Coldfusion. I have found 2 frameworks
(cfajax & mxajax).
Anybody use Ajax in their CF applications?
What support code do you use to do this? (cfajax, mxajax, other)
Which Ajax system is better?

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There actually seem to be a number of decent Ajax packages out there right now. I've started working with SPRY, which is Adobe's ajax package (currently in pre-release). It has some pretty neat features and effects, though being a pre-release product it is still working out its kinks. Still, the forum is very helpful and you can usually get a response from an actual Adobe team member quickly.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/

The main feature of the framework is the ability to treat XML documents as datasets (think CF queries) and create page regions that dynamically update when the data in the dataset is selected, changed, filtered or sorted. The examples can give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. Basically, the only big drawback right now is 1) Currently no support for multiple levels of nested XML elements (though they are working on it) and 2) No back button browser support.

Anyway, worth checking out if you are looking into Ajax packages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at SPRY, but I it only seemed to show neat effects that can be done
verses some of the more useful things I have seen on other AJAX sites. I am
sure I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up. I will revisit it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSMX is very nice and lightweight. http://www.lalabird.com

i've used it on a couple of AJAX implementations.

i plan on taking a look at jQuery in the near future now that Rob Gonda has integrated AJAXCFC into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest with you AJAX is all a bit hyped. There are some really good libraries to help you avoid some of the more annoying browser related issues (prototype in particular). But to be honest AJAX is only about communicating with your server without refreshing the rest of the page. Everything else is just DHTML, so to be honest you are better off learning some solid DOM manipulation as 9 times out of 10 you will need to do something that your lib of choice doesn't quite do, so you are much better off having an understanding of what is going on rather than relying on a 3rd party library.

Just my opinion, but I can create an AJAX call with about 10 lines of code and then I am down to my DOM manipulation ability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest with you AJAX is all a bit hyped. There are some really good libraries to help you avoid some of the more annoying browser related issues (prototype in particular). But to be honest AJAX is only about communicating with your server without refreshing the rest of the page. Everything else is just DHTML, so to be honest you are better off learning some solid DOM manipulation as 9 times out of 10 you will need to do something that your lib of choice doesn't quite do, so you are much better off having an understanding of what is going on rather than relying on a 3rd party library.

Just my opinion, but I can create an AJAX call with about 10 lines of code and then I am down to my DOM manipulation ability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation