Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot view Oracle Help output in rh10

Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp HTML on Windows 7.  I am able to generate Oracle Help output, but I when I click on "View Result",

rh1.png

the following window pops up:

rh2.png

I have the 1.6 and 1.7 JDK and JRE's installed as well as the Oracle Help JDK.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I know about this help format is on my site.

Do you really need this format? It is outdated and poorly supported by Oracle. Flare does not even offer this output for precisely those reasons.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter.

What you say about Oracle's support of the Oracle Help format seems true.  What format would you suggest for a stand alone application written in Java?

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most cases webhelp will do the job.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter.

As a developer how do I go about integrating Webhelp with my Java application?  Is there something analogous to the Oracle Help Java Development Kit which is used with Webhelp?

Thank you.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are pages on my site about calling help. Also see Willam van Weelden's site at http://www.wvweelden.com

If you can link your app pages to specific topics using a URL, that is a straightforward way but note the instructions about opening the topics with the navigation pane showing. It's more user friendly that way.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently stuck with an Oracle help system. I would like to migrate to webhelp b/c it needs to run on Mac/Linux/Windows and we can't host the help. It has to be installed locally. Also, it is context sensitive.

I am told by dev that webhelp isn't a good option because:

"Robohelp does not work well with some versions of internet explorer. Also it generates and uses non-W3C compliant fragments in file URLs (URL ‘#' Fragments are not standard compliant in file URLs)."

Any comments on this?

I am using Robohelp 12 (2015) but can upgrade to latest if required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not entirely sure what your dev is trying to say in the sentences you quote. I'll do my best to address what I think they're saying.

Webhelp is an older technology and should work fine with all versions of IE. This format does not display a # in the URL. (I can't remember if that syntax is used in CSH call though). Do note, though, that I doubt there will be much development of this format going forward.

Responsive HTML5 is the new kid on the block (relatively) and will not work properly with IE10 and below because it uses modern HTML and CSS that IE7,8,9,10 do not understand. This includes IE11 running in compatibility mode (emulating IE7,8, 9 or 10 depending on the setting) . However, a meta tag can be added which *should* force IE11 to display your help in normal IE11 mode (it  possibly already includes the tag, but I haven't checked recently).

Responsive HTML5 uses the # in the URL, but # appears to be used in a standard way if I'm understanding this wiki page:

Fragment identifier - Wikipedia

But I'm not a developer, so I could be misunderstanding.

Hopefully this will help your discussions. Post back if you can get more detail from your developer to understand what the issues are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp