Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backgroundcolor outside the artboard

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2009 Sep 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

is it possible to change the background color [outside the artboard] to a dark grey? because i really dont like having a big white screen while working in illustrator.

when you normally work in illustrator, the artboard is indicated by a black border line

but when you select the artboard editor tool, the background changes to dark grey, so it is possible

and that is the effect im looking for, but then permanently...

is it possible to do this via the preferences somewhere, or via a hack?

here is an image to clarify what i mean:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Click on "View"

Click on "Overprint Preview"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know, but i would kill for that AND a preview mode like ID:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

canvas.JPG

A grey scratchboard is much better, I agree, that's why I drew a grey "frame" around the artboard, locked it, created a new layer above it and set that as my default canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe's referring to one artboard document though I guess you could use the transformation command to copy the openings

to coincide with the number of artboards and placement on the canvas with action that has stops for the number of vertical and number of Horizontal repeats.

But here is probably why they did not opt to give the user the choice, when in the artboard creation and editing mode it has a dark background
as well what would be the method of distinguishing between the two modes one that the vast majority of user can find effective for them?

BTW deciding a dark gray background is better rather than asking for a simply method to allow the user to choice they way they want to set this up  is not productive IMO as it ill not allow for others to say I would like it differently. I would ask for a method to make changes to canvas look.

Keep in mind that if you are working with a color the same as the background color you won't be able to see it so there hast o be a way for the user to have a choice of how to distinguish these objects.

Screen shot 2009-09-22 at 4.58.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i really dont understand what you saying there...

but if you saying this, i agree:

introducing an option for the users to change the background's shade of grey, would be awesome 😄

but is it possible?

@ Joe: yeah, that is possible, but that would make the filesize much larger, wouldnt it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so.... nobody knows a solution that works properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem in InDesign and I solved it by going to VIEW then clicking MATCH PASTEBOARD COLOR THEME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5, and I want to do the opposite. I want to change the background color back to white. It's maddening to have it be slightly off because I often use the eye dropper to select pure white from the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't figure out how to do what K-Swoosh sought but

Hi Display Type,

the one you are requesting can be achieved via  document setup dialog.

File->document setup, check simulate colored paper and click on the the two colored rectangles to choose their color also set the Grid size to large, if you choose the same color for both the rectangles your artboard will be of uniform color .

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't change the background color. I'm not trying to change the artboard color. The method you descibed only allows me to change the artboard color, but does not control the area outside the artboard.

In previous versions of Illustrator the area outside your artboard was still white. Now it's light gray. I want it to be white again, K-Swoosh wants it to be dark gray.

The best solution I've found is to just hide artboards while I'm working, but this is less than ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benbarry... did you manage to find a solution for this? Minus the hiding artboards thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on "View"

Click on "Overprint Preview"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.  Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer to this question, at least in cc 2017 or is it 2018. I have no idea how that option got checked and I have no idea what an overprint preview is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS6: Go to preferences: Interface: The choice will be there to make it as white as you want, or as dark as you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the one that did it for me, although it's a bit different now. Preferences: User Interface, and under Canvas Color, click "match user interface brightness".

Thank you, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured it out
View > Show Artboards (: or shift+cmd+H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As sammib said, in CS6 you can change this color to your own taste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPEN TO ME! I accidentally click on something and it happens then I forget how to put it back! It's so hard to find this precise problem on forums so THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Show Artboards (: or shift+cmd+H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! I pressed some sort of short cut by mistake and everything went white...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU, it works 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the background grey:

Go to: Preferences/User Interface

Adjust the brightness..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines