• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 "has stopped working" on Windows 7.

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Community,

I just bought a new computer and am in the process of downloading my standard set of programs. I'm testing everything out and InDesign fails to stay open past the new project window. The error just reads the it has stopped working and then windows closes it. I got it to work once or twice as an administrator by right clicking on the launch icon and running it as such. But this doesn't always work. I ran into a similar issue with photoshop and resolved it by changing the cache location under the preferences menu. InDesign doesn't have this setting though so I'm out of luck. Anybody come across the same issue? Windows doesn't give me any more specific error information. I'm not sure what to do at the moment.

Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it could posibly be a permissions problem. There was a recent thread with a list of required permissions: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5075152#5075152

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To collect more details of a crash, click on Start> and type eventviewer and hit enter key. Expand Windows Logs and click Application. Now look for red circle marks that says Error. Select the latest Error and click on Details tab and you'll find Event Data already expanded. Select the text and copy it, paste in Pastebin and provide the link here. Peter already mentioned about a similar recent thread that will help you in setting correct permissions to the folders necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is what the event viewer is showing me. Any thoughts? I looked into some other solutions from the suggested thread but had no success.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          2/23/2013 4:58:19 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Randolph-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 8.0.1.406, time stamp: 0x50335e39

Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f0c22

Exception code: 0x40000015

Fault offset: 0x0008d6fd

Faulting process id: 0x788

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce1210dbdb1144

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\InDesign.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVCR100.dll

Report Id: 218ed7a5-7e04-11e2-a174-94dbc90d401d

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-23T21:58:19.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>2552</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Randolph-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>InDesign.exe</Data>

<Data>8.0.1.406</Data>

<Data>50335e39</Data>

<Data>MSVCR100.dll</Data>

<Data>10.0.40219.1</Data>

<Data>4d5f0c22</Data>

<Data>40000015</Data>

<Data>0008d6fd</Data>

<Data>788</Data>

<Data>01ce1210dbdb1144</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS6\InDesign.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\system32\MSVCR100.dll</Data>

<Data>218ed7a5-7e04-11e2-a174-94dbc90d401d</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Event viewer is pretty useless, unfortunately. It looks like the problem is in msvcr100.dll, but that doesn't mean much.

Does rebooting help? What were you doing when it crashed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no clue what that file does. I found that Windows has a compatibility option when you right click on a program shortcut. I found that running InDesign in XP mode resolves the issue, although I don't know if there are any underlying negatives to doing so. For example, will the performance be reduced? Another option when running through this compatability mode looked at various permissions issues. Windows solves my issue in another way by setting the program to be opened as an administrator. I actually figured this one on my own earlier, but the minor incovenience of this is that I have to allow the program to open through another dialogue box to do so. Not a huge dilema, but it is an "eye sore" considering that I just built my computer fresh and expect everything to be like a freshly waxed car.

In the end, all my adobe products run as they should, and I am able to get my work done. It's just a minor detail with InDesign permissions. In the back of my mind, I have a feeling this has to do with the fact that it's still a 32 bit version and has yet to convert to the full 64 bit.

Regardless, I appreciate all the help. The past two weeks of ordering parts, building my own pc for the first time, and then setting up everything on the software side of things has been a fantastic (and sometimes a little bit infuriating) experience.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a dynamic library, program code provided by Microsoft to interface with windows to handle routine system calls.

Running in XP mode should not be required -- I run on Windows 7 Pro x64 with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever issue is causing the symptoms on your system, it isn't a generic problem experienced by the vast number of CS6 users on Windows 7 64-bit and certainly has nothing to do with whether InDesign is a 32-bit or 64-bit program.

Note that this 32-bit versus 64-bit issue has been blown very much out of proportion by many users. Windows 64-bit fully and natively supports 32-bit applications. In fact, in many cases, they run more efficiently than equivalent 64-bit versions. The big advantage of 64-bit is strictly in their ability to have a larger address space, i.e., no longer restricted to 4GB.

You will see a 64-bit version of InDesign in the not too distant future! 

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished talking to the India branch of Adobe about this problem and the "supervisor" that I ended up speaking with was trying to say that it may be a Microsoft problem.  I told him that I have had a similar problem after a new system and new Adobe CS6 install with Bridge and after doing updates the problem was gone. In my opinion, it is a directory access problem.  If enough people call them at 800-833-6687 and complain about the problem they will fix it.

Although my Win 8 user account has Administrator privilege, InDesign works only when I use "Run as Administrator".  I have had a few instances where the Action Center has found problems with drive errors and I am requested to "Restart to repair drive errors (Important)".  This may be a result of running InDesign with full privilege to write anything anywhere is pleases.  As I said previously, the reason for the new system was because I installed two new disk drives in my laptop and upgraded to Win 8 at the same time.  There could be drive problems, Win 8 problems, or InDesign problems; everything is too new at this point.

I see by other posts that the same problem occurs on Win 7.  Adobe has fixed an identical problem with Bridge.  Please call them and complain at 800-833-6687.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issues with some CS6 apps and I figure it out the problem happened because my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bits was installed with user profile redirection during setup (not moved individual folders). All users profiles are created on D drive instead C drive where Windows files reside. I have used the Unattend settings Folder Locations to move the users profile folders.

I think its a CS6 issues because the previously CS versions works fine in the same setup.

Any ideas how to solve this?

I had reinstalled Windows 7 without users profile redirection and CS6 works fine.

Setup:

Dell Precision Workstation with Intel Xeon;

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bits;

Adobe CS6 Brazilian Portuguese version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My user profiles are on D: and CS6 works fine here....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines