• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I convert many .png's to graphic symbols at once in Flash CS6?

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just as the subject says, how do I convert a ton (like over 2,000) .pngs quickly and easily to graphic symbols?

I really dont want to have to drag each one to the stage, hit f8,  and name it, for each one.

I understand that, back in the CS3 days (im using CS6), it would autonatically generate them when you imported them to the library, is there a setting that I can turn on to have this happen?

Thank you for your time,

Obsidn

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013
  1. Select the directory with your pngs in it.
  2. Right-click>Browse with Adobe Bridge
  3. Select your pngs
  4. Tools>Photoshop>Load to photoshop layers (not sure how many layers this can handle--you may wind up having to do this in batches)
  5. Save your new psd
  6. In Flash, create a new symbol with a blank timeline
  7. Ctrl-R, navigate to the psd you made earlier
  8. Select all the Photoshop layers
  9. Check "create MovieClips for these layers."
  10. Convert layers to keyframes or flash layers (not important, since you probaby don't need to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File>Import>Import to Library

All images will be converted to graphic symbols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly, it does not do that when I import them to the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will give you an idea how to use jsfl to import a lot of images into your library

During the import you will have to use sth like this to convert your images to symbols and name them dynamically:

fl.getDocumentDOM().convertToSymbol('movie clip', '', 'center');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*sigh* I just wish I understood how to use javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can use a batchprogram which will convert all your png`s to MovieClips -

There is a workaround where you got to the preferences dialog (CTRL+U) and select the PSD Importer with "create MovieClips" checked.

Then during import to stage of theses psds there will be created graphic symbols for each psd.

Or: Use a automation tool (macro recorder) like this to record your clicks and leyboard inputs and simply let it run 2000 times while drinking a coffee.

Caveat: I can`t imagine that Flash will be too happy about 2000 pngs in the library, meaning: be prepared for crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select the directory with your pngs in it.
  2. Right-click>Browse with Adobe Bridge
  3. Select your pngs
  4. Tools>Photoshop>Load to photoshop layers (not sure how many layers this can handle--you may wind up having to do this in batches)
  5. Save your new psd
  6. In Flash, create a new symbol with a blank timeline
  7. Ctrl-R, navigate to the psd you made earlier
  8. Select all the Photoshop layers
  9. Check "create MovieClips for these layers."
  10. Convert layers to keyframes or flash layers (not important, since you probaby don't need to keep this symbol)
  11. OK

You'll have Movie Clips, not Graphic Symbols, but maybe you can write or find a JSFL to convert them and then you can block select them, click the Properties button, and change the type from MovieClip to Graphc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank god, That worked perfectly. You're a saint.

I'm gonna add, for those that come after me, if, when you are in the import screen, and the layers are not automatically checked as 'convert to movie clips' just select all of them using shift-click.

I'll say on behalf of all nub sprite animators, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually used this thread as the inspiration for a blog post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How is there not just, you know, an option to select all the elements and convert them ALL to symbols at once? A 10 step solution for something this simple is ridiculous, and Adobe really needs to get on top of solving issues like these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines