• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text entry boxes & click boxes who wins?

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2008 Jul 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a slide that has a text entry box with a failure caption. I have selected for the 'on success' to have it continue because I want the user to type the text in the box and then click over an icon that is on the other side of the slide. I added a click box over the icon, and after the click, it is supposed to go to the next slide, but I can't get it to work. I have tried adjusting the timeline multiple times. What I get on the preview is - when the text entry box comes up, you can type the text in fine, but the click box won't activate and the slide just sits there.............HELP.
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2008 Jul 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My assumption is that you want the user to type into the field and then click the icon on the other side. OK, try this:

Insert a text entry box and give it the words you want the user to type and where he should branch when he completes these two steps.
Under options, SELECT the show button option. this will put an ugly gray submit button on your screen. Click OK.
When the submit button appears on the screen, double click on it, opening its properties panel.
In the type dropdown, select transparent button with a width of 0 and a transparancy of 100%. This will create an "invisible" button. Click OK
Place the invisible button over the intended icon.
I think that should do the trick for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2008 Jul 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KB,
I tried your suggestion, however it didn't work. I think where I'm having my problem, is when the user types whatever I am asking for in the text entry box, I don't want them to tab out of the field, or hit enter. I want them to enter the text and then use the mouse to click another area of the slide. I made the button that attaches to the text entry box transparent and put it over the icon I want clicked, but the slide continues to sit there. I have tried adjusting my timeline - to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shari

What action did you assign to the Text Entry Box object?

I ask, because the default action is normally set to "Continue playing project". If you don't change that and the slide is rather long, it may appear that nothing is happening.

Another thought that occurs here is that perhaps you have another Click Box or Button object that is pausing the slide and working against you.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,
The text entry has the 'continue' action attached. I took the 'submit' button and made it transparent, but it still won't work. Here is how my timeline looks:

button: 5 seconds
text entry box: 5 seconds
slide: 5 seconds
audio: 5 seconds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2008 Jul 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Shari

Okay, sorry but there are questions.

I saw that Kevin correctly advised you to enable the Button for the Text Entry Box object. Did you do this?

Here's why I ask. You reported that you had already added a Click Box over the icon you want the user to click. What isn't clear to me is whether you removed that Click Box and actually followed what Kevin advised. The issue at hand here is that you can't simply use any Click Box or Button. You have to enable that option for the Text Entry Box so that it is attached to the Text Entry Box.

My suspicions surround what you listed for your Timeline objects. You list a Button in there.

Let us know... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,
I tried to start over with a clean slide. I added the Text Entry box, typed in what I would accept as correct, on sucess: continue and then if the answer was entered incorrectly after 2 attempts to continue also. I used the failure caption and the sucess caption and moved the 'submit' button over to the icon I want them to click on after they enter the words in the text entry box and I made the 'submit' button transparent. Still doesn't work. I'm wondering if after they enter the words in the text entry box, does it require them to hit enter, or tab out of that particular field before it will let them click somewhere else with a mouse?? On my new slide, the timeline is still the same - 5 seconds for the slide, audio and text entry box.

Shari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Shari

I'm climbing out on a limb here and guessing what is happening to you. Both a failure as well as a success are configured to result in the same action. Why?

You might try this. Configure the Text Entry Box object so the action for a failure goes to the next slide. Insert a blank slide and pop a caption on there so you may see. Then configure the success action to be to jump to the slide following the one you just inserted. Here you will insert yet another blank slide with a caption.

Give that a try and see if you think it is working. Personally, I've never seen it fail.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources