9 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 3:43 AM by Stokesy3

i3770 decent build ?

Stokesy3

Dear all,

great forum and  i have got lots of advice from it from existing posts.  So i have tried to configure what i think matches my needs, although its possibly above my budget (under $2k i have been trying to acheive), but i have listed what i think is a  good system and one i'd like to have.  i list alternatives, and that takes it to $2k if i also use cheaper hdd's like WD Blue or Seagate, hitachi...; but  would i get significanly poorer performance with cheaper components like an i5, GTX 660 or less, etc.. ?? and hence perhaps best to stick with just being above teh $2k mark.  Time is critical for me, so i like the idea of a fast performing system that is enjoyable to use even if i am not a heavy user.  .  My main requirement is video / image editing family videos - been meaning to get a system for the last 3 years when my daughter was born but always short of time, not helped by another little one. i have tonnes of AVHD footage and billions of pictures to do something with.  I will only do overclocking if its no hassle and doesnt overwork my system.

I would appreciate any advice or if there is anything i should be aware.  I have no idea on CPU cooler at this stage, i havent researched that yet so any suggestions appreciated.

I have gone for the cheaper samsung ssd to save $70; is this a bad idea ?

The MSI m/b seemed the cheapest with support for 8 sata drives and it has thunderbolt. 

be good to know if my HDD setup is sound.  Particularly my drive D-  should i be using 2 disks in raid0?

I havent used Adobe Premier before, but can get it and every other adobe program extra cheap through work, so i am not familar yet with how it sets things up. 

Prices are all Australia dollar, but this matches the USD these days, 

thanks

Jason

comments/alternatives
      Case Fractal Design Define R4 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case Titanium 139Quiet / minimum of  8 drive bays
      CPUIntel Core i7 3770K/3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/LGA1155 Ivy Bridge 350alternative i7 3770 is $309 and i5 3570 $215
      CPU coolerN/A50not surewhat to get or  if needed
      MotherboardMSI Z77A-GD80 Motherboard199cheapest thunderbolt m/b with 8 sata
      GraphicsMSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB295alt MSI Pow Ed $329 or GTX 660 for $259
      MemoryCorsair 32GB (4x8GB) Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R DDR3 Red255alt N/A
      Power SupplyCorsair HX650v2 650W ATX Power Supply, 80 PLUS GOL137alt N/A
      BR / DVD writerLGE CH12LS28 12XBD/16DVDBlack Blue Ray HD Combo Retail 55alt N/A
      HARD DISKS
      C: System & ProgramsSamsung 250GB SSD 840 Series- SATA III 6Gbs, 2xnm Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND, 3-Core MDX Controller, 512MB 179Alt Samsung 256 GB PRO for $259
      D: Projects /Media Cache / PreviewsBlack WD 1TB99alt., Raid0 with 2 x 500 Gb WD BL (2 x 79=160) ??
      E: Export Video & Photo ( Storage)Black WD 2TB159WD Black due to 5 y warranty,
      F: Media: Raw Video Footage (import)Black WD 2TB159and good speed for HDD
      G: Media: Raw Photos (import)existing0
      H: Music and Documentsexisting0
      I: Backup Video & Photo Green WD 3TB133back up
      SpareN/A0space for future growth
      TOTAL System (excl HD)1480
      TOTAL HDD cost 729
      TOTAL OVERALL2209
        • 1. Re: i3770 decent build ?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Several comments on your pretty nice build list:

- Definitely get a good cpu cooler even it you are not overclocking; suggest Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus if your budget is tight

- I would suggest the 3770k cpu choice and overclock it

- I personally would go with an Asus m/b and skip thunderbolt

- Samsung 128GB 840 Pro is an awesome OS/programs drive and should be plenty big enough. I don't like the non-pro 840 series until you get to the 500GB model due to slow write speed vs. the Pro

- RAID 0 the two 2TB blacks and use for everything except for media cache, previews, and exports; use the 1TB for that

- don't get a WD green, even for backups; very slow and not particularly reliable

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: i3770 decent build ?
            Stokesy3 Level 1

Thanks Jim for the prompt reply.

great to get some feedback to make me think a bit more. 

re. m/b - this asus P8Z77-V looks to be nice at $193 and it has wifi built in......Thunderbolt version would be a wopping $335 from my vendor.

Asus P8Z77-V P8Z77-V.Z77 4xDDR3 3xPCI-E16 GBL SATA3 USB3.0 RAID DSP HDMI DVI VGA WiFi

re. SSD/Raind - interesting suggestion re. smaller SSD and raid0 on the 2x2TB.  ...will look into that one.

Re. 3 TB back up drive -  i am now thinking seagate barracude got some decent reviews

Seagate SATA3 3TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache

cheers

jason

• 3. Re: i3770 decent build ?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Thunderbolt Asus boards are nice with significant control settings in the bios which fixes compatibility and device driver problems. Definitely the one to go with if you want that option.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: i3770 decent build ?
                RjL190365 Level 5

In addition to what the others told you, forget about the Corsair Vengeance RAM if you're going to use a third-party tower-style cooler: The heat spreaders on the Vengeance RAM itself are extremely tall (all of 56mm high!) Worse, almost all motherboards these days have their RAM slots close enough to the CPU socket that it would interfere with the proper installation of a good tower-style air cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 series CPU coolers have only a 46mm clearance between the bottom of the heatsink and the memory slot that's closest to the CPU socket. The Vengeance RAM, because its heat spreaders are so tall, would force you to mount the CPU cooler's fan way off-center - and this off-center placement would either negatively affect cooling performance or result in the case's side panel not fitting properly because the fan would stick out the left side of the case. Because of this, only choose RAM with such tall heat spreaders if you're going to use liquid or water cooling for the CPU. Otherwise, with good air cooling (using a tower cooler, of course), check to see if your vendor can order the low-profile version of the Vengeance modules (one whose model nimber starts with "CML" instead of "CMZ").

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: i3770 decent build ?
                  Stokesy3 Level 1

Thanks for the replies and the heads up re. ram.. Even more to think about...

• 6. Re: i3770 decent build ?
                    Stokesy3 Level 1

And finally here is what i think is my build.  happy for any additional feedback.

Questions / Thoughts:

PSU - is Corsair 850 W 80+ Gold overkill ?   I found PSU choice most confusing so i was almost opting for overkill and the high rating of this PSU to stop myself reserching it anymore.  But i keep thinking i could save alot (>$50) if went for  a lower power (eg. 650 W or 750W) and Bronze rating .

HDD - 2 x 2 TB WD Blacks in Raid may be more than I really need and i may go to 2 x 1 TB WD Black instead.  Save: $120.

Umart ($AUD)Comments/alternatives
                    Case Fractal Design Define R4 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case Titanium 149Quiet / minimum of  8 drive bays
                    CPUIntel Core i7 3770K/3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/LGA1155 Ivy Bridge 348alternative i7 3770 is $309 and i5 3570 $215
                    CPU coolerCoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU Cooler44newer model, orig evo is $35
                    MotherboardAsus P8Z77-V P8Z77-V.Z77 4xDDR3 3xPCI-E16 GBL SATA3 USB3.0 RAID DSP HDMI DVI VGA WiFi 185Pro version is 217 with no significant benefit to me.  no thunderbolt, but this could be added via a card if needed later
                    GraphicsMSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB325alt MSI Pow Ed $329 or GTX 660 for $259
                    MemoryG.Skill 32G(4X8G) DDR3-1600 Quad Channel F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL 255low profile heat spreaders
                    Power SupplyCorsair HX850 v2 850W ATX Power Supply, 80 PLUS GOLD 215Corsair HX650v2 650W ATX Power Supply, 80 PLUS GOL
                    BR / DVD writerLGE CH12LS28 12XBD/16DVDBlack Blue Ray HD Combo Retail 55alt N/A

HARD DISKS

C: System & ProgramsSamsung 256GB SSD 840BW Pro SATA3 2.5245Alter. 128GB ($145)…but require more management
                    D: Exports /Media Cache / PreviewsBlack WD 1TB89WD Black due to 5 y warranty,
                    E: Media (raw video), Projects, PhotosBlack WD 2TB, Raid 0159and good speed for HDD
                    E: …Black WD 2TB, Raid 0159""
                    F: Backup Projects, Video & Photo Seagate SATA3 3TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache 133back up . 2 year warranty
                    G: Music & Documentsexisting (500 GB)0
                    H: Miscellaneousexisting  (200 GB)0
                    I:N/A0space for future growth

TOTAL System (excl HD)1576

TOTAL HDD cost 785

TOTAL OVERALL2361...wow sure adds up....

Cheers

Stokesy. 

Message was edited by: Stokesy3

• 7. Re: i3770 decent build ?
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Jason,

Your final build list looks great!

Regarding the 850 Corsair, I would not say it is overkill. I use a AX1200 and while it is more than I "need" the additional capacity keeps the fan speed silent even when the system is working hard.

Regarding the 256GB 840 Pro, 128GB would probably suffice.

Regarding the unused E: RAID 0 array, I would use this for media cache, exports, and previews instead of the single 1TB WD.

This does not change what you are buying, but I would leave the existing 500 GB drives out of the mix. Get an external USB 3.0 connected tray and use them for backups, etc.

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: i3770 decent build ?
                        Stokesy3 Level 1

thanks Jim. I should point our that the 2 E drives are a single raid 0 config. 

ie.

D: Exports /Media Cache / PreviewsBlack WD 1TB89
                        E: Media (raw video), Projects, Photos 2 x Black WD 2TB, Raid 0  x x 159
                        F: Backup....etc. 3TB

• 9. Re: i3770 decent build ?
                          Stokesy3 Level 1

thanks Jim. in response

re. psu - ok, that matches my logic then. 

re. 256 GB vs 128 GB - I guess i am opting for the larger to be safe rahter than find it all clogged up.  Given so many programs default to it, it can take a little  time to keep it all  tidy.  My 256 GB laptop drive got clogged with itunes pictures/videos and its a pain to alter the default. 

But about $100 less for 128 gb is a significant saving.

I also thought to save $100+ by going for 2 x 1 TB drives for my E: Raid0.

Work flow:  The way I envisaged I would work is to import all video and photos to E: drive and export finished peices to D drive.

Both D and E would be routinely ( automatically) backed up to  F drive.   I like this internal in case the external is not connected for whatever reason.     

F drive would be occasionally backed up to an external drive, which would be backed up by another external drive stored remotely at work.