12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 10:21 AM by OneWhizz

A Complain To Adobe

Joe Bodego Level 1

As the start of another weeks dawns and most of us come face to face with our “income earning” pursuits, I am faced again with Adobe and its suite of software that is a source of Terror, stress and a lack of productivity in our lives. I would attempt to list the stressful situation we face by using Adobe’s suit of products. I do it without any profanity, childish name callings or language of ranting.

• (1) Program launch Time: On average we use Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Premier and After Effects. On average each program takes a full 2 minutes to launch and ready to use, Adobe programs has this habit of pretending to be ready but is not quite ready, just try clicking on say the “File” menu. The biggest offender here is Photoshop with Illustrator a close second. Indesign is no better and constantly reverts to its default settings even with our custom settings saved. This is quite annoying as we cater to an international clientele with different measurement settings, imagine the time wasted with a client in Europe using the metric system and an American with the imperial standards.
      • (2) Program False Exit: At least three time a week we are surprise to see an adobe program “Illustrator is the biggest offender” running when it was closed three days ago, we usually has to force quit the offending application.
      • (3) Destroying the session: When an adobe program misbehaves and they often do, it brings the entire system down. An example being Dreamweaver and any browser use for previewing. When Dreamweaver slows to a crawl, so does the browser, and any other program you may be running even notepad that draws little system resources. It seems that no matter what’s done after including closing the programs, the session is dead resulting in a complete and time consuming system restart.
      • (4) Fonts: As desktop publishers we know better than to copy all of our thousands of fonts to the fonts directory. We use Extensis suitcase to load the font sets kept on an external USB 3 drive, yet every time we launch Photoshop the “Initializing fonts” popup comes up and lingers for up to 5 minutes before anything can be done. Sure we have big sets of fonts loading into suitcase but no more than 150 fonts that we know are clean, most being from Adobe’s own fonts library.
      • (5) Sluggishness: Sure this could be blamed on a myriad of things but we’ve seen this sluggish slow behavior primarily with Adobe’s programs, Photoshop sometimes just comes to a halt with the simplest of task like opening a 4mb jpeg. We just can’t put our fingers on it. With 8Gigs of ram with frequently defrag and system maintenance, we just don’t understand why Photoshop would just freeze for 5 minutes as we watch the status bar slowly progresses. It seems as though it’s a big “no, no” to have Dreamweaver and Photoshop running, not to mention Adobe bridge, now that’s another story. Multi-tasking with adobe products seems to be a pipe dream.

Adobe’s programs are a major source of stress in our Multimedia business, I’ve heard the mildest and calmest of people use profanity dozens of times a day as they try to earn a living using Adobe’s programs. Smoke and coffee breaks are a usual sign that an Adobe program is creeping, freezing or has caused the system to be restarted. Adobe must take the time to realize that some of us are real users, earning our living using their products and not some recreational user who downloaded a cracked copy to experiment. We’ve tried everything, from more memory to no web connection and even a system with just the adobe suite of program installed, yet the programs are still problematic to use. Seems everyone is reading from the same outdated diagnostic book with the same old questions like “What anti-virus program are you using” I can’t tell you how annoying it is that after waiting two days for an answer, the question is answered by another question. We wish we could dump adobe’s suit but their monopoly is in full effect, there just isn’t another Photoshop or Dreamweaver out there. The final cut guys on the Mac are frequently laughing at the premier guys on windows 7 and 8. All in all Adobe’s products have great features but there is something wrong with their products, something very, very wrong. On an average week, we loose five and a half hours of non-productivity due to Adobe’s programs, that’s 27 hours a month, 324 hours a year or 13 days a year, now that’s real money in any lauguage..
        • 1. Re: A Complain To Adobe
          Curt Y Level 7

I don't have the suite but CS6 by itself should take less then 10 seconds to load.  I have Win 7 and a 2 year old mediorcre computer but it still loads in 6 seconds.  But you have probably heard that also.  Two minutes for each program?  Something is way wrong but you have probably seen and done all the common stuff so will not bore you with it again.

I would not expect much cordination of the various Adobe programs.  Yes, they are all Adobe, but the divisions are spread out all over the world and coordination of the "guts" is probably too much to ask. 

As far as operating systems go, both Apple and Microsoft are in a race to see who can build the OS to looks and act more like a smartphone.   How well do the systems work on an iPhone?

• 2. Re: A Complain To Adobe
            Joe Bodego Level 1

Yes, we've heard everything from places like this and even Adobe yet as i make my plans for work tomorrow, i am terrified of stress that i know these programs cause. The accounting department does not have these issues using excel or work, the database guys with mysql or access it's just Adobe.  Stress kills, it could cause a heart attack or stroke and i fear that these products may send me to an early grave. I am dead serious!! we make our living from these programs and i cant believe how bad they are, it must be the new crop of cheeters that our colleges turn out. I can;t think of anything else

• 3. Re: A Complain To Adobe
              Level 7

What you are seeing is far from normal.  And the majority of slowdowns and crashes that we see are due to external factors (drivers, utility programs, bugs in plugins, etc.).

Try disabling Suitcase, or updating it --it has been known to cause slowdowns, crashes, and odd behavior in applications.

And make sure you have the Photoshop updates installed.

• 4. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Curt Y wrote:

I don't have the suite but CS6 by itself should take less then 10 seconds to load.  I have Win 7 and a 2 year old mediorcre computer but it still loads in 6 seconds.

You must run a bare bone Photoshop CS6 then.  I have a relatively new workstation with decent specs OS, CS6, paging and swap on SSD. 40GB ram dual 6 core xeon 2 mhz processors and it take CS6 longer then 10 seconds to launch useally it takes under 20 seconds.  The time it take Photoshop to get initialized can vary greatly depending on what has been added to Photoshop.  When Photoshop start a lot of processing may occur  All Scripts and Plugin in Photoshop's Scripts and Plugin paths need some processing and many thing may have been added to ones preferences like loading extensions and allowing them to connect to the Internet. I have no problem believing the op stating launching can take minuets thay\t may well be normal. If I were them I simply not shut down applications like Photoshop. However when Photoshop CS6 crashes they may loose things that should have been saved in their preferences during a normal termination. 

Adobe needs to make Photoshop CS6 more stable and fix the other bugs in CS6 as well.

Yes some users may not be hit with a Photoshop crash or any of its other bugs. Others use more of Photoshop Features and the scripts and plugins that ship with Photoshop and experience crashes and bugs.  The most common one I get is caused by fault happening in  Adobe module ScriptUIFlex.dll when it strikes  Windows terminates Photoshop and records the problem in its reliability log

• 5. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                  Joe Bodego Level 1

Thanks Chris but we've tried everything and nothing helps, even a band new computer, disconnected from the network and the web and only the cs6 suite installed rund right for the first hour, try opening a 32 mb jpeg and photoshop just crawls, that's with no suitcase just a bare bones system. Out top techs have looked at this for months now and the issue always comes back to Adobe. We have 3 versions of office, yet excel, word or outlook launcehs in 2 seconds. Like i tell the folks, just live with it until they fix it but i've always been saying that. Bad programs, really terrible products with neat features.

• 6. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                    John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Still far from normal though.

I run Photoshop almost 12 hours daily on networked machines (Mac and Windows) and they all perform well with no issues.

• 7. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                      Joe Bodego Level 1

Giid for youm  i know several children who grew up to be healthy adults, yet my brother did of a bad heart when he was 5. whats your point??

• 8. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

Joe Bodego wrote:

• (1) Program launch Time: On average we use Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Premier and After Effects.

Yeah, ya know, is there a real good reason why you ever close these apps? I meant, Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign and Illustrator are always running...(I don't do web or video). So, it takes some time to relaunch some apps, is that really a hill worth dying on? I meant, is this really your top pain point? Really?

Joe Bodego wrote:

• (2) Program False Exit: At least three time a week we are surprise to see an adobe program “Illustrator is the biggest offender” running when it was closed three days ago, we usually has to force quit the offending application.

If you are getting regular and constistant hangs and crashes, something is wrong with your systems...for the same reason I don't have to restart apps very often, I couldn't tollerate consistant and regular hangs/crashes...I would do something to to troubleshoot and fix the systems because hanging and crashing is not typical and shouldn't be toloerated (and not automatically blamed on Adobe).

Joe Bodego wrote:

As the start of another weeks dawns and most of us come face to face with our “income earning” pursuits, I am faced again with Adobe and its suite of software that is a source of Terror, stress and a lack of productivity in our lives.

Uh...really? "Terror, stress and lack of productivity" in your lives? Ya think this might be just a bit over the top? I meant we ain't talking world peace or solving hunger here...if your pro apps are not working well for you, you need to get to the bottom of the reasons they aren't. Adobe apps work well for the vast majority of users–you just need to move from the "don't work for us" camp to the "works fine for us" camp. That's your job...fix yourself!

• 9. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not looking to argue. Just trying to assist the brainstorming.

My point is simply that Photoshop runs very well for many people in countless situations with countless machine configurations.

Why it's not running well in your workplace, I do not know esp. since you seem to have tried everything including fresh machines with brand new OS installs. Yet as soon as you load your image files, your machines slow to a crawl.

Simply trying to eliminate options. What else could it be?

That's one for Adobe engineers to investigate.

• 10. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I have only run CS6 on Windows and three machine Window XP and Window 7. The XP machine has since been replace with a 64 machine.   Photoshop has crashed on these machines because of Adobe ScriptUIFlex.dll and I get over 3,000 hits on ScriptUIFlex.dll searching the web. It not a solid failure.  I can start CS6 ad do what I was doing and it will work still Adobe should make Photoshop more stable and not crash.

• 11. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                              {Troy D} Level 1

I am running Photoshop CS6 on a MacBook Pro with retina display, quad core i7 processor, 8 Gb ram, Nvidia GForce 650  graphics card. Mine opens within three seconds (my computer uses an SSD, not a hard drive though), and I never have problems with it running slow. It sounds like the problem is with your computer hardware. This problem with photoshop is defiantly abnormal. Make sure all of your graphics card drivers are updated and you have the recommended 8 Gb of ram.

• 12. Re: A Complain To Adobe
                                OneWhizz Level 1

Something with your computer setup might not be right. I‘m having a three year macbook pro with tons of stuff on it (SSD-drive nethertheless) and photoshop still loads in a little less than three seconds. No crashes with photoshop (but lots with dreamweaver and indesign ;-).

There could be a lot of factors that slow your machine down – how much free disc space? how many installed fonts? network-printers (i had heavy problems with those back in my ms windows times)? Is the swap-SSD an external drive? Any network-drives that are mounted on startup? what type graphics card with how much memory?