• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I insert a hyperlink in a Word doc that opens a particular Help topic?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 31, 2007 Jan 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to insert a hyperlink in a Microsoft Word document file that will open a specific topic that exists within a .chm file?

If so, could someone please provide examples of the syntax/path that I would use for the hyperlink?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboFan

Try this:
ms-its:CHMFileName.CHM::/TopicName.htm

Of course you would need to first display the topic inside the .CHM so you know what its name is and the actual path. What is listed above assumes the topic is in the root level. If it's inside a folder, it would look something like this:
ms-its:CHMFileName.CHM::/FolderName/TopicName.htm

I would assume that this should work as long as the .CHM is inside the same folder as the document. If not, you may need to specify a path to the .CHM file. In that case, I would think it would need to be something like:
ms-its:c:\SomeFolder\CHMFileName.CHM::/TopicName.htm

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the timely response! It worked, but it doesn't quite accomplish what I'm looking for. The link will open the topic in Windows Explorer - similar to how any .htm file appears when you double-click it.

What I'd like the link to do is to open the entire .chm (with the Contents tab, Index tab, Search tab, and browse sequences) and the specific topic visible. Basically, I want to give my intended audience a single Word document that contains hyperlinks to the first topic for each of my browse sequences. Thoughts?

- Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jason

I'm not sure if Word is capable of launching the HTML Help viewer (HH.EXE). If so, you might try prefixing the ms-its stuff with HH.EXE and see if that works. If not, you might use RoboHelp to your advantage. Insert a Shortcut control and configure it to point at what I listed earlier. Then look at the TrueCode and copy the Green code. This is the Design-time code. Then see if Word will accept a Design-time control. You may end up poking the menus to find out how to insert it, because my gut is telling me that if you simply copy the code from RoboHelp and paste into Word, it will view it as simple text and not a control.

Good luck! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Jason,

I think you need to use VBA if you want to open help topics in the HTML Help viewer. See this newgroup discussion for a few ideas:

http://tinyurl.com/2bnotn

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp