• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Textures in Element 3D - Help!

Participant ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a 3D object (.obj) in Element 3D. I applied a metalic texture to the object. Here's my question: My final object should have a metalic texture with a big color label on it (imagine a metal paint can with a paper label around it). Is there a way to apply the metal texture to the object and then the imported label texture on top?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Element's texturing is quite limited. You would have to combine the layers in Photoshop and create matching specularity maps etc. to get different shading behavior in different areas.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think it's possible to import the two objects independately and then assemble them together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. If they are reasonably aligned already, you can add as many objects to a group as you like and possibly do a bit of aligning by adjusting the anchor point and scale in teh editor, if needed. Of course you can always also use 2 groups and align them that way. Just be clear that this doesn't change the rules for texturing: Even if you use this approach, Element will not render transparencies, so if your label is anything else but a square/ cylinder segment, any contours will have to be geometry based so the parts outside are "cut away". just using a texture with transparency won't work.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium. Actually, the label will cover the entire paint can itself. The problem is the lid. I first imported the paint can, and then when I tried to import the lid, the can disapeared and I could only see the lid in the window. It's probably a "group" problem, no? Then, are you saying I can align these object in the Element 3D window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to set the particle count accordingly - 2 in your case. Each element counts as a particle and if there are more particles than elements, they will be repeated. Unfortunately there's no way to do this visually, because only the currently selected object shows in teh editor viewport, so a bit of experimentaion may be required, if you didn't model your items with teh same origin.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps I took. Let me know where I go wrong. I load Element into a new Solid layer. I click on Scene Setup. The Scene Setup window opens. I import a first element, the paint can (in group 1). I import a second element, the lid (in group 1 also). When I click OK and go back to my Comp, I set the Particle Count to 2 and I see that the lid is in the middle of the paint can. I need to move it up on top of the can.  Of course, changing the Position XY moves the entire group, not just the lid. So my question is, can I move the lid up in the Scene Setup window? If so, how? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, enable the grid preview in the editor window amd then select the element in the list. Then adjust the anchor point which will be visualized as the origin of the grid. Requires Element 1.5, so download this free update, if you haven't already.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will update the plugin. One last question and then I leave you alone. I watched the 1.5 update official video on Videocopilot. The guy imports a 3D character (soldier). He then gives it textures. We see that the face has one texture, so does the uniform, the shoes. etc. How is this done? How do you give the same onject all of these tectures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply different textures to selections in contiguous meshes, which will then appear as separate materials. E.g. if you had created your paint can as a single lump, but created a polygon selection for the lid and possibly applied a different material to this selection, it would show up this way and could be textured separately.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello   - i am using element 3d and i  have  all models pack but i have a  problem   when i use  element 3d   i see that my  3rd party models   have  no textures  on them

and i really  want to use those models

i work for TV anyone help me !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Put them in your model library folder or in the folder where you store the Elemnt project. The plug-in automaticalyl looks for everything in these locations...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines