Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internal IP+ person name

Participant ,
Jan 22, 2007 Jan 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys.
Does anyone know how to get a person IP along with the associated person's name from internal network. ?

Any help will be appreciated...
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your cgi variables for the ip address. I don't think there is a reliable way to get the user name though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I know how to get the IP but I need to know who own's IP..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You maybe able to run some of the ipconfig dos commands with the
<cfexecute...> tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like what ?
netstat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like what ?
netstat

Something like that. I've never actually done this, but I once played
around with what one can sniff out with the netstat and\or ipconfig
utilities. Theoretically Most that one can run straight from the
command line one can run with the <cfexecute ...> tag. How well this
would work in real life I can not say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to assume that you want to know the name and IP address of people visiting your site, as opposed to just querying the network to determine who owns an IP address. IP addresses are assigned to computers, not to individuals.

I do this all the time on my intranet.

<CFSET VisitorName = #lcase(removeChars(cgi.auth_user, 1, 10))#>

The reason for the removechars is because I know that cgi.auth_user returns both the domain name and the username.
I remove the first 10 characters from the strng because I know that my domain name and the slash = 10 characters. Thus my end result is the username of the logged in user.

I use the above line of code in my application page. This prevents people from impersonating another user via the URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2007 Jan 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it(cgi.auth_user) outputs nothing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using any form of authentication on the server, or is the site anonymously accessible? Using the getAuthUser() function will return the username if the user was authenticated using basic or integrated auth, or if cflogin was used at any time.

If you are not authenticating at all, you could try managing your own list of names by comparing the IP address to a table of names and their associated IP's. Then in your onSessionStart() function you can pull their name if it existed, or prompt them for it. It's far from secure and would only really work if you have manually assigned IP addresses or DHCP leases with an ample timeout, but if you aren't using authentication then I would guess security is the last of your worries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to get my network user name using coldfusion ...I am using windows xp...I login to my machine within our interval nt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then you have to ask for it. Allowing a user to connect to your site annoymously is not asking for it. You'll need to disable that in order to force login credentials, which will either display a un/pw prompt (for basic auth or NTLM in any browser other than IE, or in IE when the site is not in the "Intranet Zone"), or automatically auth if using NTLM and the user and server are both in the same domain or a trust exists between the two. This might be a little to intrusive if you've run an annoymous site for however long. It's up to you to weigh your options. Bottom line, you need to force the user to provide this information in one way or another if you plan on querying the server for it, which is what you are doing by using the CGI scope or the getAuthUser() function.

You may also find solace in a client side component that would provide this information, but this will likely either cost you money, or have some kind of "Unsigned component" warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assume user enter his user name then where I will matching the 2 entries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2007 Jan 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My users are never asked for a username or password. They are authenticated behind the scenes against the domain. You don't need to maintain a list of usernames and IP addresses.

Turn on Integrated Windows Authentication and turn off annonymous access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot turn off annonymous access on every user within the internal nt....I need a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you turn off annonymous access?

You don't really allow users on your network that have not been authenticated, do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will disable the anonymous of each user on nt..I dont get you..pls be clear..
My Mx server is on windows xp machine.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will disable the anonymous of each user on nt..I dont get you..pls
be clear..My Mx server is on windows xp machine.....

Not on NT, In IIS for the website/resource in question. If you set the
directory security setting for the website/resource in IIS to "Windows
Integrated" and disable the "Annoymous Login" setting, then the
webserver will populate the cgi.auth_user value with the domain/username
of any windows domain user who access this website/resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mx server on windows doesnt have an installed IIS...Then what should I do ?

Is it gonna create a security issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2007 Jan 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--- oops, redundant post ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using for your web server? Are you running somethong OTHER than Internet Information Services (IIS)?

As for the security issue, it is more secure to insist on Windows Integrated Authentication because then you are at least validating username and password against the domain. If you are allowing annonymous access that would suggest a huge potential security hole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no IIS installed on the server..it has just cf mx server on the machine..it is an internal nt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, are you saying that you are using a development version of ColdFusion, since you don't have a web server, or that you just don't know what it is (IIS, Apache, etc.)?

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no IIS installed on the server..it has just cf mx server on the
machine..it is an internal nt

But ColdFusion REQUIRES a web server to work! IF not IIS, are you using
the built-in web server, or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that it is a built-in server..it may be a development version of cf..I checked the installed services there is no IIS ...we dont use apache either..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation