Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing numerals/garbage characters from search in Section 508 build WebHelp

May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to remove (prevent inclusion of) numerals and garbage characters from search results in WebHelp when compiled with Section 508 Output enabled. I need to have Section 508 enabled. Can that be done?

Thanks for your time!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Stop list - in the Project Settings to exclude terms? I thought that flicking the "Section 508" flag in the SSL recipe did everything you need for 508-compliant HTML output (never use it myself, mind you).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. I tried including the characteres in the Stop list and recompiling. (I even closed the project and reopened.) The characters still appear. The characters I'm trying to remove are: !, #, ', (, ), -, /, :, ;, and ,. I am also trying to exclude some numbers (100.00usd, 1999.99, 2999.99, 3999.99, 4999.99, and 6pm).

The Stop list consists of those characters and the default text. Forgot to mention is the first post ... I'm using RH9.

The Section 508 flag does create 508-compliant HTML output and that is one of the requirements for this help system. This is the first time I am enabling this flag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon further investigation, the default words in the Stop list appear in the search results. Am I missing a setting to enable the Stop list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the help it says that the Stop list only prevents them from being found when a search is made with them - it says nothing about excluding them in the project.

I just tried turning on the Section 508 setting in the Salesbuilder sample project in RH10 & I'm not getting any sort of "normal" search box at all - it just appears like another index list of letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe the index list of letters without the search input box is correct for Section 508.

What has me baffled is the weird characters. The search list includes '!' but that character is not on the page to which it links. Actually, '!' is not anywhere in the compiled help files. At least, not in the visable content. The search should not include links to code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the garbage characters are only in the HTML code and not in the WYSIWYG then this is a bug. Please report it to Adobe using the link below:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp