• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is there no Batch Export of multiple clips from Premiere CS6?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a no brainer.  Every other NLE has had this for at least a decade, yet PP CS6 makes you INDIVIDUALY export clips rather than sending them as one batch. What a time waste for someone looking to move to CS6 from FCP and finding it's slower.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

With the latest update (CC7.1), Premiere supports exporting multiple selected project items -- clips or sequences. Select them in the Project panel, then go File>Export>Media.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 100%.  It would make it a lot easier to send clips out for CC, FX, etc.

Submit a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eh, probably so, but the time I save working in a 64 bit application with Mercury Playback more than makes up for the time that I have to individualy add sequences to the queue from the timeline. Still - good feature to include in an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prelude might be the better tool for this job.  It can batch convert on Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim, prelude CS6 keeps crashing under mavericks. I am running the newsest MacbookPro 15" Retina (purchased just 2 weeks back) and every time I ingest clips the program freezes. Thats why I stopped using it. I did all the updates but it seems like I can't solve the problem. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite enough info here...

Great with the specs on the system, but I need ram and HDD info, along with a few details about your workflow.

First, what are you ingesting?  I need the physical media and file type it starts with.

Second, are you transcoding?  I need to know what you transcode to (file type and the specs for frames etc).

Third, where are you sending them?  I need to know what Disk, and any other info on where the files are going.

Fourth, how long are the clips?  The longer they are, the longer it takes to ingest, and the more active the scene the longer it will take to scrub through.  Some systems have a file-size issue with the volume you output to.  I suggest using an external disk formatted as EXT4 (exfat 4), it has a 16terabyte file-size limit.  Other file systems will split the files in an odd fashion, and often do so destructively with larger files.  Less than 6gb isn't a problem, but more... ...the system may flag it.

Finally, what are you using to ingest the files? USB, thunderbolt, firewire... ...They all have their good and bad.  USB has version 1 2 and 3.  Firewire has 400 and 800.  Thunderbolt has only 1 speed ("wtf was that?").  Usb can have stability problems and disconnects, and usb3 isn't exactly perfectly compatible with mac.  If you can, get a thunderbolt usb3 hub, they limit the speed in, but maintain the stability.  You'll get 1-2\3 usb3 speeds with stability of thunderbolt at the computer end.

One last note, make sure your permissions are set and the application support folders are okay... ...I've had apps crash when they tried to access this in the /user/library folder, mainly do to a mavericks update that was supposed to lock down security.  Make sure these folders allow the app to access them.  You may need to find some tools to "Watch" the app, or find a crash log after and read where it failed.

To really get into things, I need all this.

You might try to do a permissions repair.  Some updates don't reset them properly or the magnetics on a drive go a little haywire when reading the permissions.  You need to ensure your system is clean.  Do a drive repair just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Tobson: Please start a new thread specific to the hang you're encountering. Unless this problem extends to Premiere Pro, that thread should be entered on the forum specific to Prelude: Adobe Prelude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag and drop any number of clips or sequences into Adobe Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree too. We need an easier way for batch exports. Make a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Set up a watch folder, set your preset and output destination in Encoder (lower right corner), then add all your clips to the designated watch folder and Encoder takes it from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the feedback, but I have to say that none of the suggestions address my (and others') need to be able to select only a select group of clips from within our projects and quickly send them to AME.  Watch folders, Prelude and the like are fine if you're prepping a project, but not all projects fit that standard workflow throughout their life cycles.  I went to Adobe's feature request page and made the suggestion twice.  BOTH times the effort returned a server error... Try back later.  Hopefully, Kevin can see that they're responding to this thread.

As to wfmc staffer's post, you simply can't drag clips from Premiere to AME on a MAC.  Tried to slice it a dozen ways and it doesn't work. 

That aside, I do enjoy the accelerated GPU performance and AE interplay with Adobe.  That's why I switched! I just wish some more of the basic features were there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

henryfilms wrote:

I went to Adobe's feature request page and made the suggestion twice.  BOTH times the effort returned a server error... Try back later.  Hopefully, Kevin can see that they're responding to this thread.

henryfilms,

I just did a test. The Feature Request/Bug Report form seems to be working. Please try it again. Sorry you had trouble.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

henryfilms wrote:

As to wfmc staffer's post, you simply can't drag clips from Premiere to AME on a MAC.  Tried to slice it a dozen ways and it doesn't work.

I was pretty disappointed too that there was no batch export from Premiere CS6 like I had in FCP, but today I realized that I could in fact drag a selection of sequences from within Premiere into the AME window that I had on a second screen, on my MacPro (10.6.8).

A couple strange caveats though:

- It doesn't always work.

- Usually AME will give me an error about not being able to import whatever I drag over UNLESS there is already something being actively processed in the queue.  If the queue is empty, stopped or paused I cannot add anything.

- Sometimes if I drag too many items (say 20 or more) it doesn't work either, AME will return an error.

Hopefully the next release has solid support for batch exports, but know that for now it is possible at least some of the time on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Henry,

I would like to see your feature request. To be totally honest, while I think I understand what you want, I don't understand why you want it. Your workflow is foreign to me. I would like to understand it though.

What is the purpose of exporting clips? What codec are you converting from and to what codec are you exporting? Is this to create a Digital Intermediate of sorts, or am I missing something completely.

Would Prelude be a good choice, as Jim suggested? It is difficult for me to tell since I don't know exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Anyway, if you would be so kind as to humor me and explain it, I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

Steven

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not Henry 🙂 but this is required to migrate sequences and their media to other platforms (in our case, Resolve). The EDL / XML step is known, but the associated media needs to end up in a form that the target system can use. PPro can read more formats than most anything on the planet, so it's common to need to do some conversions.

In our case our footage is XDCAM EX and AVCHD, and Resolve processes neither of these in their native format. PPro's project manager gets us half the way there, AME can do the rest, they just don't talk to each other when it comes to clips.

Of course dragging a sequence over and telling AME to "transcode all the timeline's clips (with handles)" would be great, but what I'm asking for in the context of this thread is simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JUst a thought.

You may want to look and see if Clip Wrap may fit into your scenario. Saves transcoding and I know it works fine with AVCHD files (and Resolve)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so the answer is that a digital intermediate is necessary due to the limitations of other programs. Got it.

I suppose at that point I would look for a format that Resolve did accept, and was acceptable to Premiere Pro. That would allow a transcode before anything even made it into Premiere Pro and eliminate the issue completely, wouldn't it?

So, is there an acceptable codec that is not going to cause Premiere Pro a problem, yet is visually lossless?

I am not saying it wouldn't be convenient to do all of this in Premiere Pro, I am just wondering if Jim's suggestion to use Prelude isn't the better solution, or for that matter, change the wrapper as shooternz suggests, and eliminate a generational loss completely.

I personally have always been a big fan of the Cineform codec due to the way it uses wavelets instead of blocks. Can Resolve handle that? I know it handles the Cineform Stereoscopic files, but I am not so certain about the regular media, although it seems like it should, I can't find proof.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the  source file is desireable in an EDL type workflow due to timecode as well as lack of generational loss and even ...file size considerations.

AFAIK ..Resolve wont look at Cineform anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK ..Resolve wont look at Cineform anyway.

I checked the Resolve manual online and it handles the stereoscopic Cineform files. You have to get the Cineform software also, but it might be worth it if Resolve can handle the regular AVI files.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed my workflow to use Prelude to cut and idenfify footage prior to using Premere.

After you get all of your scenes chopped and tagged you can batch export from Prelude and then I import that entire folder over into Premeire.

Its taken some time to get used to doing this, but now, I don't have to waste time in Premiere trying to get stuff organized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest update (CC7.1), Premiere supports exporting multiple selected project items -- clips or sequences. Select them in the Project panel, then go File>Export>Media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I just tried this but it doesn't seem to include in and out points or filters.  Are there any settings / steps I'm missing to be able to include trimming and filters to the exported clip?

When I tried exporting multiple clips, the entire clip was exported instead of the trimmed version.

When I tried exporting subclips, the clip was trimmed but no filters were included in the export.

I'm trying to batch export multiple trimmed, color corrected clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to get an effect (filter) to export is to add that effect to a clip in a sequence and export that sequence.  This is because the only place you can add an effect is to a clip in a sequence.  Clips in bins cannot hold effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for exporting clips using the in/out points rather than encoding the entire clip, I'm afraid the only option is to change the Source Range setting once the jobs are queued to AME--and that can be done only one output at a time.

When we adapted the Export Settings dialog for multiple export, we were not able to incude the Source Range control because it has different options for clips versus sequences, and we allow exporting a combination of the two. There are ways to manage this, but we simply didn't have time to implement one of them for the 7.1 release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you had to choose between a) being able to export a combo of clips and sequences in one operation, and b) being limited to exporting only clips or only sequences but, in return, having control of Source Range, what would your preference be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd go with B myself.  It'd be a lot more work to change a bunch of settings individually than to Queue up two separate groups, one for clips and one for sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines