• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated Help displaying all browser features

New Here ,
May 03, 2013 May 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I preview the .skn, it displays only the Help contents within the window. But the generated Help file appears in a browser window with all fo the usual browser window features: URL field, menus, Favorite bookmarks, etc.

I am expecting/wanting this:

skin.png
am getting this:

help_in_browser.png

What settings am I missing or have set wrong?

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're generating WebHelp - WebHelp will open in your default broswer. Maybe you're looking for the old-fashioned Compiled HTML Help (i.e. a .CHM)? If so, just change your SSL recipe to use it with your skin choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As Jeff said, WebHelp simply presents in the browser. You don't see all the browser "chrome" when you are viewing the skin because you aren't viewing it from inside a browser.

Another side effect is that the skin shows nearly every conceivable option you may enable, while in actual use there are things that may not be shown and present because of the different settings you have enabled.

Unfortunately Skinning isn't directly possible with a CHM file, so it's not as simple as telling RoboHelp to compile a CHM and use this skin. It's a multiple step process and you will need RoboHelp version 10 to do it. I'm not seeing where we know yet what version you are using and my crystal ball is broken.

One way to achieve the browser window you are looking for is by opening the help using the WebHelp API. But that is up to your developer to do.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Thank you for the reply! We just got upgraded to RH10 HTML. I had given up figuring this out on RH8, so I thought I’d see if there was a solution in 10. Maybe there is? I had inherited the RH projects and hadn’t consider trying a different layout. I thought there maybe was an option – perhaps not perfectly named – that I had set incorrectly.

That multi-step process for compiling a CHM and then using my preferred skin – do you have the steps handy, Rick? ☺

Well, before I go down that road, I guess I should ask: is HTML Help the preferred layout or is WebHelp? We are simply generating the Help window from a desktop application.

Thank you!

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barry

Unfortunately the answer to your question is to ask another question.

How long is a piece of string?

And the answer to that, of course, is that it depends on the string, no?

Likewise, the help output you deliver will depend on many factors. But generally speaking, the main deciding factor is where the help will live when the user needs it. Is it something that supports an application? If so, where does the application reside? Is it web based and delivered across the Internet? If so, WebHelp is a strong candidate. But if your application is installed like RoboHelp is, where it gets installed to each end user's PC, CHM is likely the best way to go.

To skin a CHM, generate WebHelp with the desired skin. Then click View > Pods > Script Explorer to open the Script Explorer pod. From there, expand the Sample Scripts folder. Now run the WebHelp to CHM converter script.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s almost quitting time, but I played around with the script you suggested and that worked pretty well. Thank you SO much, Rick! Have a great weekend.

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really want some sexy-looking help - try playing around with locally-installed AIRHelp or Multiscreen HTML5 ;>)

That'll put you in the 21st century!

added ultra-sexy Multiscreen HTML5 option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR help may be "21st century", but I wouldn't hedge my bets on it. I think Adobe has abandoned further development of it as a viable solution.

There is much to be said about tried and true technologies.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you gotta go with the ultra-sexy Multiscreen HTML5 ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Jeff, you really must stop reading only the sales material!

HTML 5 has its own quirks. I'm not saying it's bad, but hopefully the quirks will be smoothed out in the next version or three.

Don't believe me? Try coaxing it to look exactly as you want with a corporate prescribed color scheme and you will quickly see what I mean. But I'm sure it will come around.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No quircks, you should just hire an expert Rick, it'll all work out then

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the input, fellas. Successfully converting the WebHelp to .chm to produce the Help windows I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp