• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 4.4: "The following files were not imported because they could not be read"

New Here ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Lightroom 4.4 on my brand new iMac about 1.5 months ago. I was able to import files 4-5 times in the first month, then the last 3 times I've tried, I get the error 681 that says the files cannot be read. I'm using fairly common files, .ORF from my Canon 5D Mark II. I've also tried getting files from a Fuji X100S and a Fuji XPro1.

I haven't installed anything on this machine other than VSCO lightroom presets, which also worked fine on the previous imports.

Anyone have any ideas?

Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Hi, Scott - hopefully this is the solution - I found your question because I was having the same issue. Now that is solved, I vaguely recall doing this to myself in the past, as well. 

Here was the solution that fixed that warning for me. 

Somehow I had changed the DESTINATION "save file to" in the import commands to a folder OTHER than the user file.  Once I corrected the file to download into the file named after my computer (instead of any other user or space in the computer) it was just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that happen to all or just some of the images?

Anyway something doesn't sound quite right here…

The .ORF extension indicates an Olympus RAW format, Canon's would be e.g. .CR2

Has the memory card been used in different cameras?

I have seen errors like yours and they were mostly caused by formatting issues with the memory card:

• the cards had never been formatted and instead people had been deleting files manually using the Finder (or Win Explorer).
  • the cards had been formatted in a different camera model than the one later used for taking images.
  • the cards were generally used until totally full, which can lead to file corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply, and my apologiues, I must have been tired. I meant .CR2, I used to shoot .ORF years go but no longer that was just my tired brain not working when I posted this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error means your destination specified in your Copy or Move Import is not writable to Lightroom--a permissions issue with the destination and nothing to do with the source files.

LR is copying the files to the destination and then reads the metadata from those files to put the information into the catalog and cannot read this metadata because the files don't exist in the destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes sense, thanks for replying.

I'm wondering though why this would be the case, I have not changed the permissions on my system (OSX) since installing Lightroom 4.4, and have been able to import RAW and Jpeg files from a number of cameras without issues untill last week when I tried with the Fuji X100S, and then with the 5DMKII.

I went in to permissions on the folders where I am importing from the SD card, everything looks normal, no restrictions. I have only a single user account on my iMac. So there are no additional settings I know of that I can make to the folders. Speaking of which, the folders are really ordinary, just the default "Pictures" folder on OSX, with a 2013 subfolder and date subfolder as per the usual in Lightroom.

Has anyone had success adjusting permissions to address this error?

I've scanned a bunch of the threads referenced above and am seeing this permissions analysis come up often, but nobody is reporting that they've actually fixed the issue.

Thanks all.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

I have attached a screensnap of the equivalent folders on my Mac. What do your permissions look like?

permissions.png

The enclosed subfolders should have the same permissions as the 2013 one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might seem like a silly question but where abouts would i find the above folder as im having the same problem ?

Catherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this simple explaination!  I totally thought I was going to loose todays work because of this and now my files are happily importing!  Thank you thank you thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Scott - hopefully this is the solution - I found your question because I was having the same issue. Now that is solved, I vaguely recall doing this to myself in the past, as well. 

Here was the solution that fixed that warning for me. 

Somehow I had changed the DESTINATION "save file to" in the import commands to a folder OTHER than the user file.  Once I corrected the file to download into the file named after my computer (instead of any other user or space in the computer) it was just fine.

i had managed to set it save elsewhere besides the sport_000 user profile (my profile.)   I can't recall where I managed to fat-finger it to, but this is the second or third time I've done this to myself over the years.

Hope this helps.

adf.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Panabode. You just made my day. I've been having the same problem for nearly a month now and I couldn't find the answer. I tried your suggestion and when it worked I screamed so loud my neighbor came and knocked on my door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! thanks Panabode!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Thankyou!!!! After hours And hours I read this and it worked!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Panabode , I use your method on my mac

It is worked now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2016 Feb 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panabode, you're a life saver. I've been running into this for months and couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG ... YOU are a GENIUS Panabode!!! A year and a half later. I love you! 

So this evening I spend an hour and fifteen minutes on the phone with Adobe. After that time, they told me it was an issue with my permissions. He went through and changed my permissions for me.  Still wouldn't work, so he told me that I had to contact Apple because they have to reset my permissions.  I contacted Apple and was on the phone with them for about an hour. He agreed it was a permissions issue, but he went through and read the notes that Adobe had for Apple.  He went in and fixed a few things and at least got LR to open for me.  He could do no more for me at that point.  He told me I would have to call Adobe again (tomorrow, as they were at this point closed).  So, I happened across this and seeing that it worked for so many others, I gave it a go.  You cannot imagine (or maybe you can) my joy when I saw the little images filling in across the bottom of the screen. EEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I'm....so...HAPPY!! 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow. Exactly my issue, as well. Have been trying to import for MONTHS, started with fresh library/cache/preference, even upgrading to Lightroom CC. I am so relieved to have imports back! (even if I do feel real dumb now)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines