• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web app: Unlimited Detail layout

Engaged ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to have unlimited detailed layout like we have unlimited list layout in BC?

Regards

TOPICS
Web apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Thanks Liam, you make people think, and that is nice. But thetrickster888 is also right. We cannot all be like you. On the post, I followed your guide (which to me is on point) and it just also occurred to me that the guys at Kiyuco made a video on this:

http://kiyuco.com/tutorials/unlimited-web-app-detail-views

I hope this helps. If you need my copy, just ask for it and I will share.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so since Web Apps have one URL where the detail layout appears.  You can have unlimited layouts for any module but no modules display the detail view-- it gets rendered automatically at the URL for the web app item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Output a single web app item list module on a page.

- The first ID is the web app, the second id is the web app item. (think of a tag that now renders in the detail view that fetches a the web app item id, hmm)

- Know you can create custom fields and they have a tag.

- Know you can have unlimited list templates.

They are the clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but you'd have to manually create a landing page for each web app item any time you want to use an alternate detail layout.  Seems unwieldy-- if you want to use an alternate detail layout for hundreds of web app items without manually creating a page for each, this isn't possible, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Liam should kindly assist by confirming if it is possible to have 'unlimited detail template ' like 'unlimited list template'. It doesn't make sense to manually creating a page for each web item that would appear in the detail template as thetrickster888 pointer out.  If there are work arounds it will be appreciated if it can be shared. I really need it on a project am working on and that is why am here. Liam, kindly expantiante more on this for us.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I think If I didn't  explained well my request. What am referring to is different page template for different web app layout view.

This is what I mean:

BC webapp.jpg

When a user selects a web app item, a different page template is used to display the detail view. Is this possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot use a different layout for the detail view-- but you CAN use a different page template for the list of web app items and the item detail page.

Essentially, in your Web App settings, choose the Page Template you want to use-- this will be used for the detail view.  Then, since the list view is not automatically created like the detail view is (the detail view is permanent at the URL of the web app item).. simply create a new Page in BC and set the OTHER template you want to use for the list view and assign it to your page and then insert the web app list module ({module_webapp}) onto that page which is using a different template than your detail view.

You can only have one detail layout and one template assigned to that web app, but since you insert the web app list module where you want it, just create a page attached to another site-wide template and you'll have one template for the web app list and the detail view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You both need to read through the steps I mentioned.

What would happen if all you had is a list view to one item in the module layout guys. Think about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know they were steps-- I thought they were "clues". Honestly, Liam, sometimes you make no sense.  What does "a list view to one item in the module layout" mean?  Thanks for your help and if we're wrong just EXPLAIN how we're wrong and how to achieve the original poster's goal.  Stop being so cryptic. It's not helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want you to figure it out for yourself with some tips. You glossed over them and did not read it.

- Output a single web app item list module on a page.

You can get a specifc web app item list view out.

- The first ID is the web app, the second id is the web app item. (think of a tag that now renders in the detail view that fetches a the web app item id, hmm)

You can see in the module the ID's and I told you what they were.

- Know you can create custom fields and they have a tag.

You have a tag that fetches the web app item id

- Know you can have unlimited list templates.

What would happen if you put that module and replaced the manual web app item id with the tag. It would fetch the web app item your in the detail view of list layout.

Now, you can make a few list layout files for different layouts and have the detail view in those list layouts.

Now, How would one have an option in the web app to choose these layouts, you would need some form of custom field dropdown.. Oh web apps can do that..

I wont stop being criptic.

Dont just blind look at BC. Look at what things are doing, step back, think, Create!

Dont look at BC in face value, you wont get far with it if you do.

Trying to break you out of doing that as I can see many do this. It is why I vary rarely give any code to anyone ask help. I will always lead people to the right answer so you figure it out for yourself and learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following it now?

You can have exactly what your after using list layout and option control in the detail view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read the original poster's follow up question http://forums.adobe.com/message/5297971#5297971 you'll note that they simply want to know if you can use different page templates for the list view and detail view for web apps.  My answer above provided that solution.. 

Your answer is still pretty hard to follow and I consider myself an advanced BC user... maybe it's your grammar or something-- I've read this over about 10 times and still don't get your solution to "unlimited detail layouts" which, albeit, is not topelovely's concern anymore but I'm still interested in it if this is a hack.

I know you don't really provide code examples, Liam, which is why I do.  I offer an actual coding solution if available and try to explain it as I go.  I haven't heard many complaints and still think BC users learn something-- we're supposed to ease their frustration, not add to it.

Anyone else in this forum comprehend what Liam is getting at and would like to explain it in a comprehendable way?  Even it it's not topelovely's  requirement anymore, I'd still like to know how to get unlimited detail view layouts using Liam's solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Liam, you make people think, and that is nice. But thetrickster888 is also right. We cannot all be like you. On the post, I followed your guide (which to me is on point) and it just also occurred to me that the guys at Kiyuco made a video on this:

http://kiyuco.com/tutorials/unlimited-web-app-detail-views

I hope this helps. If you need my copy, just ask for it and I will share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of partners know how to do this, many were doing it manually as {tag_itemid} like in that video. As soon as the list template options came out I was using {module_oid}

But from one of my latter posts It is far from criptic. Not sure how you can miss it - Your missing some key how BC works knowledge.

- Put a list module in your detail view. This is list view of specific item.

- Replacing the second number which is web app item id number with the item id tag will render the very web app item the module is in. This is the only thing in your web app.

- You can make custom list templates  - unlimited.

- Control which ones you use per web app item by a custom field. (This has to be obvious no?)

Unlimited layouts for detail view.

Look at what I said, it is exactly this with the BC specific missing which just by trying you would fill in the blanks.

Thats the key here Trickster, I can tell you did not experiment and see what happens and figure it out. You just read, did not follow and move on.

Experiment, play and mess with BC - I personally think this is essential and I always do to discover what BC does. I NEVER take what it is at face value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Liam and Trickster. You are both an asset to the BC community. I'm a core designer and just about a year plus  BC partner, so am learning daily.  I appreciate your contibutions. Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still don't get this. I read it over 10 times today and the described solution makes no sense... #n00b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines