• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User wants to include username and password in a topic

Explorer ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A user just gave me a list of instructions that he wants in the online help. The instructions include a username and password for downloading a file from an FTP site. I don't like that idea for a couple of reasons.

The first is that anyone in the company who has access to the help file can see that username and password. He says that's not a problem, that it just gives them access to a file, but I still worry that some of the information in that file could be misused.

My second problem is that passwords change (or, at least, they should!) and that could mean that the help file becomes out of date and will need updating frequently.

So, any ideas on how I could handle this? I just searched the discussion area here and there doesn't seem to be a way to password protect part of the file. (We're delivering as a .chm, so I can't use the features of a web server to protect it.)

His reason for wanting it to be part of the main help file is that this way all the information is in one place. One thing I could suggest is that we put everything EXCEPT the username and password in the help, and put that somewhere more secure.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you handle it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I take it that User in this context means client.

If that is want he wants and he has been warned, it's his problem if something goes belly up. If it creates extra work for you, that is chargeable. Set a minimum charge for making changes and this one minute change could be a money spinner.

You don't have much option as there never was a satisfactory way of password protecting a CHM in whole or part.

Just make sure your warning is written and acknowledged.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp