Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Broken WebHelp, missing *.js files in whxdata folder

May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH10, IE9, Windows 7, RH Server 9

Hello,

I could use some additional brainpower. I have 6000+ users waiting for me to fix a broken policy/procedure WebHelp system. Here's the state of play.

•         When we publish the existing project to WebHelp Pro we get full-text Search but no TOC auto-sync.
•         When we publish the existing project to WebHelp (local drive) we have TOC auto-sync but no Search ("Fail to initiate database" and null results).
•         If I create and publish a small NEW WebHelp project (local drive) we get both TOC Sync and Search.
•         If I publish the same small NEW project as WebHelpPro to RH server, we get Search but no TOC auto-sync.

Adobe has acknowledged that the broken TOC auto-sync is due to an RH Server bug (# 3019390) they do NOT intend to fix. The WebHelp system is nearly useless without an auto-syncing TOC. But it is also useless without a Search capability.

There are *.js files missing from the SSL>whxdata folder. For some reason I am unable to insert images here using the toolbar button above ("server error").

Can anyone tell me how to permanently restore the missing *js files to the project? (The missing files DO get generated when I create a new project).

Thank you.

Leon Batista Alberti

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a Rh Server user but the first thing I would try is to delete the CPD of the project and generate the WebHelp again. See if that fixes that output first.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many, many times…

And please note that the problem or problems affect “plain” webhelp as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your post as being different problems with the different outputs and was concentrating on webhelp.

The next two things I would try are:

1. Create a new SSL, not a duplicate, and generate from that.
  2. Generate to a new folder.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, have done that a few times as well but have just tried again with both WebHelp and WebHelp Pro to no avail:

• the search function continues broken in WebHelp
  • the autosync function continues broken in WebHelp Pro
  • no error messages are displayed during generation

Missing *.js files remain missing in whxdata.  Does anyone know how to permanently restore the missing *.js files?

Have also tried re-installing RH10 as well as generating from different computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leon.

If I was in your place I'd make my feelings well known about my dissatification with the amount of RHS bugs that are not being fixed. The auto-sync TOC issue is one of the major reasons why we look likely to drop using the product going forward. If enough people do the same, there is a greater chance that Adobe will take notice and do something. I am a keen advocate of the product but I look around at other offerings and see a huge difference in functionality. I sure hope Adobe do something soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, they know, believe me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to use the files in the RH10 template_stock folder to replace the missing *.js files in the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some new information. When I generate the project as FlashHelp, I get an error message:

Error: Fail to update Template file whxdata\whfts.xml

In the resulting output, we get correctly functional TOC autosync, but non-functional search. (This is the same result as with WebHelp, except that no error message appears in generation.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the project with me?

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter. Thank you for the offer of assistance (as always). Now that we have the projects working as WebHelp, and the remaining problem (in WebHelp Pro) has been acknowledged as a RH server bug, there's probably no need to follow through. At least I know have the ability to publish a working project to SharePoint (fingers crossed).

Leon Batista Alberti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an update. Adobe tech support has given me a fix to the broken Search in WebHelp Pro. It involves excluding my PDF baggage files from search in the WebHelp layout properties. It appears there was one particular PDF causing an error of some sort in generating the WebHelp output. The fix works, though it is not related to the broken TOC autosync issue in WebHelp Pro, which is still broken and which seems to be RH Server-related.

Leon Batista Alberti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correction -- the broken search function affected only WebHelp, not WebHelp Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp