1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 1,886 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 2:03 PM by Nexahs1138 Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 160. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
        TheTrueCharlieRabbit Level 1

I come from a multimedia background and I enjoy the ability to be able to combine the applications in Adobe Creative Suite as and when I need, which is why boxed versions suit me. While I work mainly in Photoshop I often use Illustrator to add small vector elements to my work. I occasionally need access to InDesign and I often use Acrobat. I work for myself. I use Dreamweaver to create my own personal web pages.

I explore and experiment with the applications in my own time, not on a monthly schedule. I don't know when I will need the use of all of them, but it's good to have them there when I need them. Having access to these application is useful to me and I have been willing to pay for a licence that covers the use of all of them because I enjoy using most of them even if I only use one application most of the time.

Adobe have sold us these programs as an interrelated package for over a decade and this is how many of us use these applications.

Adobe, you are making us slaves to your product. You have enticed us into the cage with candy and now you are shutting the door on us.

• 161. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
          skydiver119 Level 1

There are a lot of things you need to read between the lines for.

FIrst, Adobe promotes teh use of any existing CS6 license to open CC files....but as stated above, all it takes is a single 'feature' that's not backwards compatible and you can't open it, or it's corrupted when opened, or messed up.

Second, when asked about the 'what to use if my sub stops' the answer is to save your files in a non-propriatary format and open them in another program...but who writes the code to allow that? The very company that wants a montly fee to access your files. And, presumably, they also have to give access to that code to any competitor to allow them to write a conversion program.

It's kinda like living on an island with only one grocery store and continually being told that you're free to shop wherever you want.

The only way to avoid being backed into a dead end of perpetual payments is to not use CC at all. It's a one way street, and once you start down it, as of now, there is no reset button or way out.

• 162. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
            jbjones Level 1

It would be nice if even the people who are currently enjoying the Creative Cloud subscription happened to realize that it's better for the world to have both options and choose to cancel their subscriptions until Adobe reverses it's stance.

I don't know how many people are already permenantly tied up in the subscription with no way to make do without it, but it would be fascinating to see the world band together in favor of the flexibility of having both a perpetual license (for those with less money) and subscription options (for those who need the latest and greatest.)

We've seen quite a few people across various comment forums who have stated they are using older suites because they can't afford an upgrade or don't see the value in it (which would imply they don't see the value in the subscription either). I'm trying to imagine that 10 years from now NEW beginners who fall into this group might not become Adobe customers at all.

Seems like Adobe is going to carve a small chunk off of their designer pool and also diminish brand popularity slightly with this move.

• 163. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
              Scott Olmstead Level 1

You have to get the mailing address. Adobe has no way of contacting them other than that or in here. Nice support huh?

• 164. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                bobmepp Level 1

Pauls Sloss, the parallel between CC and patented seeds is a good one that had not occurred to me. Also, you have helped me to understand the dilemna that CC can bring to those with a long history of work in older versions of the software as shown in your example about Freehand. Also, I am not young, and a latecomer in life to graphic arts, and don't have long history of older work to draw on, so you have helped me to understand the plight of those in your situation that the CC switch has brought about. It does appear that Adobe needs to offer more flexible options to their customers, and to be a little less "self-interested", as you put it.

One option Adobe should consider might be to have a sliding scale type of annual committment pricing, something like: $12 per app for 3 apps, $10 per app for 4 apps, $8 per app for 5 apps, and so on down to $3 per app for 12 or more apps. I would pay $36 instead of $50 under such a plan. This kind of pricing would be more fair, and could well increase Adobe's subscription levels. Thus, heavy users would pay $50 or more, and lighter users proportionally less.

Message was edited by: bobmepp

• 165. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                  rosequill Level 1

What you're describing is a 'forward' compatibility problem, not a backwards compatibility problem. You have no idea what you're rambling about. PS CC should be able to open Any CS6 file.

• 166. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                    Califdan Level 1

Sally Cox runs a local Meetup group called "CreativeSuiteSanJose

(http://www.meetup.com/creativesuitesanjose/) and issued news release

(copied at the bottom).  Here's my response....

Sally,

I know it's hard not to "drink the Kool-aid" when you're at a conference

like AdobeMax, but I hope you take a moment to understand the extreme

negative reaction Adobe's announcement about dropping Perpetual License has

caused.  Literally tens of thousands of posts across the spectrum of forums

(Adobe, dpreview, etc.).  This negative backlash is from folks who actually

do understand the new model and just plain think it's a disaster.  In most

cases it results in double or triple the average annual cost over periodic

upgrading.  A vast majority of people commenting are refusing to buy into CC

and will just milk whatever CS6 products they already have until another

company fills the void - and several such companies are already starting to

market to the hundreds of thousands of previously happy Adobe customers who

are abandoning Adobe in droves.

I, for one just got an upgrade to Photoshop CS6.  I was actually quite happy

with CS5 and was waiting for CS7 to consider an upgrade, but as there will

be no CS7 I decided to spring for CS6 as the last Photoshop product I'll

ever buy.  It seems that Lightroom 5 will still come out with a perpetual

license and I'll upgrade to that as well and if Adobe does the same thing to

that product it too will be my last version of Adobe's offering in the

Digital Asset Management class of products.

I don't know what your official association is with Adobe (if any) but you

may want to re-think the name change of your group to CC as that is quickly

becoming a negative term in the field of photographers.  Remember "New

Coke", and the "NetFlix" debacle.  This decision by Adobe seems to be headed

that way and you may not want to tie your coattails to a name with such

negative emotion surrounding it. 

Dan

===============================================

creativesuitesanjose-announce@meetup.com On Behalf Of Sally Cox

Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 11:18 PM

To: creativesuitesanjose-announce@meetup.com

Subject: re: AdobeMAX news and our May Photo Event

Hi everyone!

As most of you know, I just returned from AdobeMAX. I have posted on my blog

with some links you might find interesting - the fabulous intro video for

Monday's keynote (keep in mind as you watch it - i was in the 5th from the

front!) and links to the latest news on Creative Cloud.

Our group will be changing its name to Creative Cloud User Group of San Jose

- to keep in line with the changes. In case you are not aware, there will be

no more Creative Suite. All new versions of the creative products will be

"CC", i.e., Photoshop CC.

A few of you emailed me with concerns. Once you know the facts, I feel

confident you will understand the new direction Adobe is taking. (For

example, if you are just using Photoshop, you can buy it via Creative Cloud

for $9.99 a month.)

So here are a few things to note:

1) check out my blog for my AdobeMAX post:

http://www.kreatable.com

2) We are joining forces with other local user groups to hold an "AfterMAX"

event. This will give you the chance to see some new features of the

products, and get your questions answered. Stay tuned for details on that.

3) Don't forget to join with other members and post a photo in our May 2013

"My Town" photo album on this site. Find it here:

http://www.meetup.com/creativesuitesanjose/photos/14686682/

Have a great weekend, all!

Sally

--

This message was sent by Sally Cox (sallyslc@mac.com) from Adobe Creative

Suite User <http://www.meetup.com/creativesuitesanjose/>  Group - San Jose.

• 167. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                      William Boswell Level 1

"Wouldn't Photoshop Elements be a better solution? $50 bucks or so and it yours."

Photoshop Elements is for beginners who like doing scrapbooks and is not very powerful.  I have used Photoshop professionally and personally for years since Version 3 (not CS3) and will not go back to an amateur program like Elements when I'm used to power tools that get the job done especially with Premiere Pro and Photoshop.

I began purchasing Adobe products in 2000 and my first purchase of Photoshop was at Version 7.  On the job, I've worked with PS and other software since the 1990's.  Why would I want to go backwards to Elements?  Fortunately all my Adobe software is at CS6 and I will stay with it until it no longer works.  I also use Premiere Pro, Encore, Dreamweaver, Audition, Acrobat, Illustrator, and InDesign.  Elements doesn't cover many of these.

• 168. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                        William Boswell Level 1

I suspect that this link has been copied upteen times and the original was incorrectly posted with that space. I recognized immediately it as a mistake at the original source. I was going to post it myself, but was afraid it was against forum terms.

Here is the correct link: https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creati ve-cloud-subscription-model

• 169. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                          adam singer Level 1

Dear Adobe,

Count me as another paying customer you will lose if you follow through with this plan. Your software is not the only option.

• 170. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                            Arviewallbanger Level 1

This is so bizarre. If this had happened before last year I would probably be homeless (or living with my mum) today.

I was very ill last year, and as aresult couldn't work (or found it very difficult to create aything that a client would want) and ended up living on my savings.

When I had to work (still nowhere near 100%), eg: clients who had paid before but had print jobs that were delayed) and then later with only a couple of months rent leeway, I maged to get a couple of  small jobs to tide me over.

Luckily, I had my CS5.5 installation of Illy, ID and PS to bump up my bank balance. If I'd not been self-emplotyed or massively succesful, I suppose this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't and I'm not. Most of my clients (small busnesses, local charities etc) have small needs and budgets (jobs for a couple of hundred quid), but I do the best I can and work hard for them as amatter of pride.

The point is, I upgraded to 5.5 when I completed a large job (and was able to upgrade my hardware as well). This software renting scheme totally caught me wrong footed and I imagine a LOT of small designers and illustrators who scrape by and upgrade when they get a big paying (relatively) job are going to feel the same and will often find paying continuously to work (and access previous work) impossible.

This move is going to affect a a lot of people's livelihoods (to the detriment of). Adobe seem to be motivated by greed with this move and not  '...the guiding principles of integrity, respect, honesty, quality, responsibility, and fairness'.

I just want to pay them for their product when i can afford it. I'll survive none the less. If I get massivley successful I'll buy in, but I hope they change this policy to support artists when they've paid plenty and, when times are tough, rely on their software for a living.

p.s. sorry for the spelling errors, hands aren't yet as nimble as they used to be.

• 171. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                              Picturequest Level 1

Thumbs down on removing customer's "CHOICE." I don't have any interest in 2gb of cloud storage. I generate 2- 2.5gb PSD files daily. And could not imagine the time it would take to upload download. Nor am I interesting in sharing my work on social media.

A good company, cares about the needs of all their customers. And tries to deliver the products that work for them. Let the consumer decide what best suits their requirements.

Imagine if Apple said, we no longer sell computers or tablets. You can just rent them from us. And once a month you need to bring them to an Apple store to re authorize the device.

• 172. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

Hi Picturequest,

You actually get 20gb of free syncing, but you don't have to use this. You are still saving your files on your computer, but have the option to back them up.

Second, with the new launch you will only need to connect to the internet once a year to renew your subscription, not every month.

There is a lot of confusion around this launch, but you can get answers to these questions and more here: http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud/

• 173. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                  rosequill Level 1

Even your own links says that it has to connect every month :   " You computer does have to connect to the internet once a month to verify that your membership is still current". The confusion appears to be yours.

• 174. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                    John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alec Molloy wrote:

Second, with the new launch you will only need to connect to the internet once a year to renew your subscription, not every month.

Can you provide an Adobe-authorized link confirming that? It contradicts all other Adobe advice.

All other info online, including the Cloud FAQ, says that you have to be connected at least once a month.

"You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days.  However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline."

Unfortunately, random posts like this perpetuate confusion.

• 175. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                      MikeChambers Adobe Employee

John Waller wrote:

Alec Molloy wrote:

Can you provide an Adobe-authorized link confirming that? It contradicts all other Adobe advice.

All other info online, including the Cloud FAQ, says that you have to be connected at least once a month.

"You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days.  However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline."

Unfortunately, random posts like this perpetuate confusion.

The app will try to connect once a month. If it can't it will continue to try periodically for 99 days (soon to be 180). The app will have to be online sometime over that 99 day period in order to validate the license.

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

Hope that helps clarify.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

• 176. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                        John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's how I've always understood it, Mike.

So the "once a year" comment from Alec Molloy is not correct?

• 177. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                          Picturequest Level 1

That is strange. So you pay for 1 month only. You have Photoshop on a non internet computer. For virus and security reasons, I have editing machines without any internet access. So, Photoshop will continue to run for 99 days or 180 days before you are locked out?

Seriously, this seems not very well thought out.

• 178. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                            jbjones Level 1

Considering that I paid $1,200 to upgrade from CS5 to CS6 (Master Collection), and those kind of upgrades are usually 18-24 months apart, the subscription price is about the same as the upgrades.

What Adobe is really doing is implementing a future method where they can essentially disable your copy of CS5 if you don't upgrade to CS6. They won't be giving it hard version numbers anymore, but it is essentially the same effect. If you refuse to pay the $600 upgrade fee every year you loose access to the previous software.

• 179. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                              W_J_T Level 4

Kevin Monahan wrote:

No, we don't do that. Feel free to speak your mind, as long as you abide by our community guidelineshere: https://www.adobe.com/communities/guidelines/

I have seen others talking of getting their posts censored and also deleted, it has now happened to me as well.

Serious Adobe, the propaganda machine goes that far as to edit/delete information of others posts?

• 180. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                jbjones Level 1

My history with Adobe was by purchasing Photoshop 4. Somewhere around there I also purchased Dreamweaver 4. Then I eventually upgraded to Photoshop 7.  Then CS2 Web Edition which of course included Adobe version of Dreamweaver. Then I upgraded to CS4 Master Collection, then CS5 MC, and finally CS6 MC. It wasn't until CS4 that I really started making money with the suite after gradually learning the tools over the years. If this subscription ONLY model had been implemented back then I likely wouldn't have had the resources to learn.

Adobe may weed out the apathetic upgraders with this move, allowing them to give better attention to the serious customers, but I fear they may also diminish their talent pool. In the long run this may actually be good for competition. If other companies will step up to the plate with comparable tools and can pull in the hobbyists and amature learners, then those companies will have a leg in the door once those hobbyists and amatures start working and using what they know.

• 181. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                  Califdan Level 1

For me the numbers are far from a wash.  I only have Photoshop and

Lightroom, 

LR will still be offered in the old way - at least for version 5 (so far $79

upgrade).  So for LR  $79 once every 18 months vs what is it $30/month for

CC = $540 for the same 18 months.  Or even if it's $20/mo that's $360.

Assuming I upgrade PS every release (which I don't) that is $200 every 18

months, vs  $540 at $30/mo or $360 at $20/mo.  They'd need to knock it down

to $11/mo for break even with upgrading every 18 month, and if you're on an

every other release cycle (like I am), it would need to go down to $5.50/mo

to cost the same. - no where near where the current prices are.

Dan

• 182. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                    Imagepoint Level 1

It is not so much the cost as the fact that some us have thousands of PSD files that can only be open as long as we pay the subscription fee. I'm lucky, I have CS6, but others may not have a CS app on their hard drive. They will have to pay a monthly fee for a lifetime if they wish to open a PSD file.

• 183. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                      Pauls Sloss Level 1

Alec Molloy wrote:

There is a lot of confusion around this launch, but you can get answers to these questions and more here: http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud/

This is a terribly written piece of information [quoting from myth 4]:

# 4 “If I decide to leave Creative Cloud I won’t be able to access the files I’ve created.

... If you decide to no longer be a Creative Cloud member then you won’t have access to your Creative Cloud applications anymore, but if you’ve got previous CS App versions, you’ll be able to open your files provided that you’ve saved them down to compatible formats with your older applications or other 3rd party Applications. If you ever decided to re-join Creative Cloud you’ll have access to the latest Creative Apps again and you’ll be able to continue working on YOUR files." [/quote]

I find the way this is written is very misleading. You make this look like downsaved files are the same as the native files for the version you are cancelling. Downsaved files will either be missing content when you open them in earlier CS versions, or have flattened proxies for features that aren't supported in earlier versions. Nowhere in your FAQ do you say you won't be able to open your original files if you cancel your subscription. You have to infer this, and many people haven't. This is a big negative against the Creative Cloud, and Adobe is spinning it as no big deal.

• 184. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                        rosequill Level 1

I'm also concerned about how many posts I see detailing "You can get photoshop for $10", when that is a bit deceptive. Sure, you can get it for $10 if you're 'upgrading', but that upgrade cycle only lasts one year, then it's $20, and I'm willing to bet that will be the last upgrading pricing anyone is going to see.

As a new user, if photoshop were $10 a month, I'd buy CC. At $20 (ever) it's a non-starter.

• 185. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                          Kwan Parker Level 1

If you watched  the linked youtube video, the sad but hilarious conclusion becomes . . . even Hitler . . . after an outraged and justified rant . . . ends up submissively ordering the Third Reich to "sign up."

• 186. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                            Picturequest Level 1

I find this whole thing sad. I was a major Adobe promoter. I'd say I'm not a Windows or Mac user, I'm an Adobe user. 90% of my time I'm in Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat.

• 187. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                              Kwan Parker Level 1

Excellent post, Arviewallbanger.

Ten years ago I was diagnosed and treated for Stage 4 Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma.  Thanks to excellent medical care provided by the military oncologists at Wilford Hall Medical Center, the loving and attentive care given by my wife, and the blessing of God . . . I survived.

For months I was either in the critical care unit or unable to leave my bed.  For nearly two years I lived my life leashed to an oxygen machine. Fortunately, when I could move about, the oxygen tube was long enough to let me roam the house.

I didn't fire up the computer during the first year.  The Adobe cloud would have mindlessly collected the rent none-the-less.

• 188. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                TandemBob Level 1

Depends on what you are using Photoshop for.  Elements has a lot of functions the same as Photoshop for photo enhancement, e.g. layers, levels, modified curves.  There are plugins avaiable to get Elements closer to Photoshop for fixing your photos.

• 189. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                  William Boswell Level 1

I use Photoshop mostly with Premiere Pro and the latter I am more proficient with for editing videos.  Elements would be a giant step backwards for both programs.  If when the time comes that my CS6 programs are no longer useful, I will switch to another program that Adobe doesn't own.  It won't be Elements.  Why would I want plugins for Elements to get it to do what PS CS6 can already do and more.  Not a viable option for professional work.

• 190. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                    rosequill Level 1

When it rains, it pours:

"Report: AppleCare extended warranty could become subscription-based"

• 191. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                      Adrienne Adams Level 1

Commenters who say "if you can't afford $50 per month…" are clueless as to how freelancers do business. Fixed expenses come right out of my profit margin: the higher my fixed expenses, the less money I make. I am a sole proprietor freelancer, working in a tiny rural community. My clients are small businesses, non-profits, and creatives such as writers and artists. The recession is still going strong here; businesses are cut to the bone (those that have been able to stay alive) and so my business is cut to the bone too. I have cut my prices drastically in order that my services can still be affordable. I have eliminated all nonessential business expenses, and also cut some which were very important - like professional development, conferences, etc. Adobe's move to a subscription-only model is a giant "F-U" to freelancers such as myself. I have always been on an every-other upgrade cycle like thousands of other freelancers, as this is the strategy that allows me to have reasonably up-to-date software at a price I can afford. Now I am being forced to lease software that I already own, and if I stop paying, my work is rendered unusable, and I go out of business. This is called EXTORTION.

• 192. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                        rosequill Level 1

I too live in a rather rural area, a bedroom community of 7000, next to a larger 35k city. I went into an area of the city last week which had been thriving in previous years and the small businesses have been absolutely devastated. I can certainly understand the pain of a freelancer in your position. It has become very apparent that these decisions were made at Adobe with absolutely no regard for the consumer they would be affecting. It is certainly not that the people in charge didn't know, they simply didn't care.

I wish I could say that I've never seen a corporation almost intentionally try to garner so much ill will, but just yesterday noticed a blurb from the former CEO of Nestle stating that water was not a basic human right and it should be privitized. I was so taken aback I looked this up in a multitude of places to verify it.

Corporations don't, and have never cared for their consumer base. Never forget it. Adobe is about to learn the very hard lesson of what happens when you mistreat your customers.

• 193. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                          William Boswell Level 1

Adobe doesn't understand the word "recession" because they are immune to it just like Hollywood.  I used to do freelancing and many times it was hard to budget because clients were late paying sometimes six months later.  Fifty dollars a month toward something you'll never own is a waste of money unless you're a big corporation making money from it.  If it were rent-to-own that would be a different story.

Those who say "if you can't afford $50 a month..." are probably kids living at home with mommy and daddy and can afford the luxury of the CC.  Working adults in the real world see this as a never-ending payment on their budget and something that cannot easily be removed from their budgets if they need it for their business to survive.

Whatever happened to having to be on CS6 to upgrade to the next version?  That's why they killed upgrades from CS4 and below last December.  Nothing was said then that the next version after CS6 was going to be Creative Cloud.  I faithfully upgraded all the software I was using from CS4/CS5/CS5.5 to CS6 to be eligible to the next version since we could only be one version behined.  They lied.  Since Adobe has changed most of their website, it will be impossible to find that statement again to prove it.

• 194. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                            jbjones Level 1

Imagine if, Final Cut Studio was using an exlusive subscription model when Final Cut Pro X was released. Not only could you not skip the newest version, but you might possibly loose access to the previous version. Or if they let you have both versions installed and you decided to jump ship to Adobe and Avid (like many customers did), you would still have to keep paying Apple for the use of the previous version as long as you ever needed to open an older file.

• 195. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                              Alec Molloy Employee Moderator

Yes, apologies, I misspoke.

• 196. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                                W_J_T Level 4

Alec Molloy wrote:

Yes, apologies, I misspoke.

If only Adobe themselves could make this same acknowledgement based on past declarations to it's customers.

Along the lines of "features from the cloud will be available to the next version of perpetual licensed owners".

-------

Great link to read for everyone over here in a recent thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5312482

xIDx wrote:

BTW, you might want to read the following link entitled Adobe Creative Cloud:  Lopsided Legal Agreement. It is not pretty:

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20130508_1a-Adobe-legal-agree ment.html

• 197. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                                  hektorix Level 1

We can use wayback machine and verify Adobe statements and understatements.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130424125958/http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq. html
                                                                                     (accessed: 25 april 2013)

Are there any unique benefits that come with my paid memberships?

Yes, as a member of Creative Cloud, you get many benefits that you do not get when you purchase a traditional shrinkwrapped product:

• An ever-expanding membership that provides access to Adobe's latest products, services, features, and workflows as soon as they are available. You no longer have to wait 12, 18, or 24 months for the latest innovations.
                                                                                  • Access to both the Mac OS and Windows® versions of the desktop applications and the ability to install them on your primary computer and one backup computer. So, if you have a Mac at home and a PC at work, you can install your applications on both as long as they are not running at the same time. See the product license agreements page for more information.
                                                                                  • Access to any language version in which the CS6 and other desktop applications are available. Unlike owning the traditional licensed version of a Creative Suite product, Creative Cloud membership gives you the freedom and flexibility to choose whichever language works best for you in any given application.
                                                                                  • 20GB of cloud storage space on www.creativecloud.com and file syncing to be able to access your work on any device.
                                                                                  • Access to online services that are not available through the desktop products alone.
                                                                                  • Administrative tools for centralized license purchase and management, workgroup features for greater collaboration, increased storage capacity (100GB), and expert services.‡

O.K this is great benefit. Fortunatelly in this FAQ Adobe do not mention about plan to discontinue traiditional licensing model. According to this point is a six arguments to buy membership. Discontinuation Creative Suite software product line is not listed in this FAQ.

O.K., we are waiting for next realease Adobe Creative Suite.

Do customers who buy traditional software licenses for CS6 get early access to new features?

Early access to these features is an exclusive benefit available only to paying Creative Cloud members through special editions of the desktop software.

O.K. Adobe. I can wait 1, 12 or 24 months to next release Creative Suite, gain upgrade to CS6.5/7.0/7.5 and retarded access to new features. According to quoted FAQ Creative Cloud is more attractive, more actual but perpetual licences are also good CHOICE.

"So Adobe decided to ship major milestone releases of Adobe Creative Suite software approximately every two years, with mid-cycle releases that incorporate the most critical features customers need in the interim years. The first mid-cycle release is Creative Suite 5.5, and it addresses these challenges."

- David Wadhwani, senior vice president and general manager Adobe Systems (may 2011)

http://www.adobe.com/inspire-archive/may2011/articles/article1/index.html?PID=2159997

"CS5.5 is the first release in our transition to an annual release cycle, enabling us to deliver content creation innovations to our customers more frequently in response to the rapidly evolving marketplace. It also allows us to augment our business model to drive incremental revenue.  In addition to the perpetual license model we’ve always offered, we now offer a new Subscription Edition with CS5.5 that provides a lower upfront price point for customers."

- Shantanu Narayen, CEO of Adobe Systems (6/21/2011 12:40 PM)

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/pdfs/Q211_Script_FINAL_Draft_FOR_RELEASE.pdf? PID=2159997

How many cycle and mid-cycle releases Creative Suite software we have counted from the "first mid-cycle realese" - Creative Suite 5.5?

Adobe is obligated to continue Creative Suite product line. Any big change in model licensing requires prior anouncement.

Can we trust Adobe?

• 198. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                                    StitchVideo Level 1

My main beef with Creative Cloud is the upgrades and not the cost (even though it will cost me 40% more than upgrading each year). Why does Adobe need to upgrade anymore when they have us locked into a subscription? Yes, obviously to stay above the competition, but let's not be foolish and claim that Adobe has ANY competition. With perpetual licenses Adobe was forced to make MAJOR revisions to it's software each cycle to ensure the customers will upgrade the next year (and most years they didn't, so most years I didn't upgrade). Yes, they have pushed some minor tweaks in their Cloud service, but let's not be naive, Adobe knows they need to do very little to stay ahead in the industry. Now that they have your money locked into a perpetual subscription, they will do LESS upgrades and never MORE. They want to make as much money with as little work. Who doesn't?

Right now their only competition is themsleves. DON'T SUBSCRIBE, you are only hurting yourself by locking into an inferior product with no incentive for improvement.

• 199. Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?
                                                                                      001andrew Level 1

Mike the confusion is that on Adobe part thinking we will all get on your stupid cloud.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next