Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does RH6 fix bugs in RH5?

Feb 03, 2007 Feb 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've hung on to RH5 waiting for this new release rather than switching to the competition. I'm disappointed that it apparently will still not be possible to generate an xml file that will sync with and help drive an application. However, I will consider upgrading if some of the major bugs in RH 5 are addressed. For example, currently in RH5 I cannot edit the index. Whenever I click on the index tab, RH crashes, and I haven't been able to find another way to edit the index. Has anybody with a similar problem tested this? Thanks for any feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 05, 2007 Feb 05, 2007
For future refeence by anyone else plagued by this problem... Peter figured it out in no time after I'd dispaired *for years*. Apparently, RH doesn't like spaces in the project name (OK, I know it's bad html etiquette). It's simply necessary to go to the File menu, select Rename and subsitute spaces with underscores. It will recompile the index; clicking on the Index tab allows one to edit the index normally. A hundred million thanks Peter!!!

- John

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2007 Feb 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really believe that the index crashing is a bug. If that happened to everyone, the product would be unusable. It has to be something to do with your project or environment.

Is it just this one project where the index crashes? What happens with a brand new project or one of the supplied projects?

Usual questions. Is your project on a network drive? Was RH installed with your logon and with admin rights attached? Which version are you using, RH HTML or RH for Word?

Let's see if we can fix X5 for you first.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. It was Rick or another senior member who replied to a post some time ago that others had encountered this. I was never able to find a work around. My project is around 1200 pages, most quite long. I have one project and am not able to compare with others. The project is on my own PC. I regularly post it to a server. Yes, I installed it with admin rights. I'm compiling for html help. I'll do as you suggest and create a test project. .. John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post back how that goes.

When you do, please advise whether you are using RH HTML or RH for Word.

Also if you can find the previous post, it might help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the project zipped up and would you be willing to send it to me?

Let me know the size first and also how you got on with the new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lcjohn

I'm assuming it is me you are referring to when you say "Rick or another senior member". Indeed I do recall seeing other posts from time to time that mentioned it happening. I too have experienced it on one or two occasions. Generally, it may mean that something is amiss in the file holding your index. (ProjectName.HHK)

I post to say that I'm hoping you didn't interpret whatever you recall seeing as something along the lines of: "Yeah, it happens sometimes so it's just a bug we live with". Typically we do try and offer a solution.

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick: My apologies, looking back at the exchanges, I realize it was Anne. Since the thread I quote was the only reply I got, I had the impression that it was an unresolved bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter: I've confirmed that I no trouble editing the index in any of the sample projects that shipped with RH5. My project is large: over 33MB. Yes, I can put it on a site for you to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2007 Feb 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
For future refeence by anyone else plagued by this problem... Peter figured it out in no time after I'd dispaired *for years*. Apparently, RH doesn't like spaces in the project name (OK, I know it's bad html etiquette). It's simply necessary to go to the File menu, select Rename and subsitute spaces with underscores. It will recompile the index; clicking on the Index tab allows one to edit the index normally. A hundred million thanks Peter!!!

- John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp