• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my 'SIGN' panel greyed out in X1 Pro 11.0? - 'signing' IS 'allowed' in permissions...

New Here ,
May 04, 2013 May 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.  So i have been sent a PDF to sign and return by E-mail.  The problem is, the 'sign' panel is 'greyed' out, so i am unable to.

I checked permissions and signing is 'allowed' for this document. 

Must i enable additional features?

[There is no red arrow at the signature line.]

I have a scanned signature ready to go on my PC.

All the help videos on this subject are for earlier versions, that have different menus, so they are of little help.

Even if you don't know what the problem is, if i knew how to 'enable additional features' that would be a start.

Thanks,

Robdobe

Windows 7 64bit

12 Gig Ram

Intel Quad core  2.8GigHz.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it indicated that signing is allowed, it means digital signatures. It does not mean anything about e-signatures (EchoSign). If the document is secured or Reader-enabled, the tools in the e-signature panel won't be available. You only need to "enable additional features" if you want to enable the form to be digitally signed by Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, George.

Yes, the form i recieved says (SECURED) in the file name - As the recipient of this form, can i "enable additional features"?

Funny detail - this form is a copy forwarded to me by a co-worker who was able to sign her copy just fine.  She recieved her copy by E-mail from the insurance company.  Why would my copy be different from her copy?

Thanks.

Robdobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could your co-worker have Acrobat Pro and you have Reader? In Reader you cannot enable additional features, only in Acrobat Pro, and once they are enabled they cannot be changed. Ask the PDF's author to send you original copy. The one that you got may have been modified. Also what kind of signature you are supposed to apply: certificate-based, EchoSign, ink signature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, isakten. 

I have since found out that the author disabled signing.  I tried, but was unable to sign in both x1 reader and x1 pro.  I was attempting to paste a scanned signature jpg using "i need to sign" and "place signature".

What has me perplexed, and why i was so certain i should be able to do this, is that my co-worker, who also had the same document to sign, and who had forwarded the same blank PDF she signed, to me to fill and sing, WAS able to place her signature from a scan on her copy, using the vary same method i was unable to use.  Do you know of any reason this might be the case?

Thanks.

Robdobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know mostly digital (PKI-certificate-based) signatures. I cannot expertly advise on other signature types. It is possible that the form that you had, had an expiration date on it (was Reader-extended with a certificate that expired after a certain date). That might explain why your co-worker was able to sign and you weren't, if you got the unsigned copy from her and not from the same source where she got it. If you got not the same copy but from the same source, you may have gotten a copy with the signing already disabled. The other possibility is that the form might execute comminications with the author's server to get authorization to sign and that authorzation failed. There are many ways a form can be constructed that cause this behaviour. Since you know that the document's author disabled signing the question is now moot and I do not see why we should speculate on a possible reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can try saving the filled out form in Reader 11/Acrobat 11.

Then with the saved PDF follow the EchOSign only i sign process

https://www.echosign.adobe.com/en/support/knowledgebase/Only_I_Sign.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines