• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cold fusion version 9 end-of-life question

New Here ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will coldfusion 9 will be no longer supported?

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sam,

Per Adobe's documents (https://www.adobe.com/support/products/enterprise/eol/eol_matrix.html#63), Core Support ends on 12/31/2014 and Extended Support (paid support) ends on 12/31/2016.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,

Thank you so much. That was exactly what I was looking for.

- Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the real question is, "When will Adobe EOL ColdFusion?" 

Forced to update my Dreamweaver CS6 to the new Dreamweaver CC version, CML tags appear to NOT be supported out of the box.

I'm angry. There is so much wrong with Adobe lately.  They should just be honest to the developers that support CFML so we can find a IDE that works and a server we can buy/sell affordably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by "forced to update my Dreamweaver CS6 to the new Dreamweaver CC version".  You can continue to run the CS6 version if you choose.  And while it is true that ColdFusion support has been removed from Dreamweaver CC, I can't entirely fault Adobe for this.  They produce a fine IDE specifically for ColdFusion: ColdFusion Builder.  While there is a bit of a learning curve switching from DW to CF Builder (I made the jump myself about 2 years ago), it is worth it because CF Builder is a much better tool for developing/maintaining ColdFusion applications than DW ever was.  The majority of CF developers I've talked to don't use DW for CF development; they either use CF Builder, IntelliJ, or a souped-up text editor such as SublimeText.  So dropping CF support in DW makes sense from a financial perspective: why expend resources on maintaining CF support in a product that only a small number of CF developers use when they already produce a product devoted to CF development?

All that said, I think some of the moves Adobe has made lately have been unfortunate - especially killing Fireworks.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its real simple Carl. We go to Max. Creative Cloud hyped, big improvements demoed past version CS6. Our application manager upgrades to Creative Cloud and we get notification that Dreamweaver update is available. We update 4 machines after backups and and suddenly Dreamweaver shuns cfm.

The problem with eclipse cfm is it doesn't fit in to the end-to-end workflow the sold us 5 years ago that's fully implemented in our company. This isn't a one developer php shop. If my copier company treated me like this we'd get a different company. But Adobe has been consistent in acquiring companies and letting them die to eliminate competition.  But that's a whole other story.

We got DW CC to start working with CFM after a long weekend. But that's it for us. We'll continue to pay our subscription fees as we transition to another company or companies that value 10 to 20 thousand dollars in products purchased and move our clients toward Railo, Grails and dotNet.

Will the last one to leave Adobe please turn off the lights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can understand your frustration.  I've never actually attended a MAX, but from talking with those that have, it has been gradually shifting from a developer conference to a designer conference.  Each year, ColdFusion's presence has decreased, until it was gone entirely this year.  Which is why Adobe is now putting on a ColdFusion specific conference in October (the ColdFusion Summit).  That conference will focus entirely on ColdFusion development, and every attendee will receive a free ColdFusion Builder license.

The Creative Cloud definitely caters to designers and front-end/mobile developers - not the back-end server-side development (with the notable exception of PHP support in DW CC).  ColdFusion and CF Builder are still being developed by a dedicated team seperate from all of the Creative Cloud hoopla. There are at least two more major releases of ColdFusion coming, along with corresponding releases of CF Builder.  So don't be too eager to jump ship just yet.

The only constant in this world is change.  All software companies and their products change over time, or they die.  Maintaining redundant products or product functionality affects the profitability of any company.  From a purely objective standpoint, Adobe's choice to remove the redundant ColdFusion functionality from Dreamweaver makes sense.  That doesn't make it any easier to accept for long-time Dreamweaver users, or for long-time Fireworks users to accept that product's demise (and I'm one of them).

This might be a good opportunity to check out CF Builder as a replacement for DW.  You might find, as many others have, that it actually makes ColdFusion development easier and more efficient (once you get over the learning curve).  And you can use CF Builder to develop Railo applications too.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation