• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to include / import by reference structured (DITA) content in an unstructured document?

New Here ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been tasked with finding how to include / import by reference / text-inset / etc.  unstructured (DTIA) content (such as field help descriptions) in a larger unstructured document (such as in a user guide chapter).  Someone I work with said they saw an Adobe representative demonstrate this capability. I know it would make more sense to move everything into structured FrameMaker, but that's not the question I'm being asked... So far I do not see a way to do this, although I do see a way to bring unstructured content into a structured document. 
I would like to find out how to do this (or find out that it is not possible). Any help would be very much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

By definition, DITA content (I'm assuming that was a typo) is structured (i.e. it's XML), so I'm at a loss trying to figure out what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to show the XML tagging with the content? If so, then just import as a text file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After a bit of experimentation, I managed to import a small DITA file into an unstructured FM file without ending up with a block of pure text. Here's how I managed it, though the results may not be what exactly you're hoping to do …

1. open unstructured .fm in structured FM – let's call it unstructured.fm
  2. open DITA file in structured FM
  3. save DITA file as .fm – let's call it DITA.fm
  4. File > Import file to copy the DITA.fm content into unstructured.fm, keeping its original formatting

A visible mismatch, of course, but at least some clue as to the intended structure of the imported content. Step 2 could be the trickiest, especially if you're relying on someone else's source files.

HTH!

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines