24 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 4:27 PM by ibhurln

Another build project awaiting for validation...

Kouper

Hi all, I'm just about to build my first NLE. (PPCS6)

I will have mostly to shoot in XDCAM HD 50 422.

I've spent days (weeks) reading this forum in search for the best build for the money and I believe that the following is a good synthesis of what I found here.

-MB Asus P9X79 Pro

-i7 3930K 3.2GHZ

-Noctua D14-2011 Dual Radiator PWM CPU Cooler NH-D14-2011

-G-Skill Ripjaws Z 32GB F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4) (Not sure about that though)

-EVGA GTX680 4GB

-Case Corsair Obsidian 550D

-PSU Corsair AX850 pro series ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold

Disks: Not really sure if I got it right, but I want to use some RAID 0 (6gb/s) for speed on media and preview.

No redundancy but backups on media, projects, and exports. Use of onboard controllers. No additional controller.(for now)

C: OS and programs.  Samsung 840 256 GB SSD (3GB/s port)

D: 2X 1TB Raid0 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (6GB/s ports)  - Media and Projects

E: 2X 1TB Raid0 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (6GB/s ports) - Media cache and Previews

F: 2TB WB Black (3GB/s port) - Exports

G :1TB WB Black (3GB/s port)-  Backup D

H: Optical (3GB/s port)

I: eSata: Exports Backup

Thank you to step in if something looks wrong, I just want this to work smoothly , with no worries about performance, cooling etc. but more importantly I hope the video to be as fluid as it can possibly be. No stuttering stuff whatsoever. Am I on the right way?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A mid tower case is not large enough for that many drives AND good airflow to keep the contents cool enough to last

Look at this full tower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

With that many drives, an 850w power supply may not be large enough

Use the Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version has more options) to determine your power supply needs

• 2. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
            Kouper Level 1

Thank you for the info and the link to the case. I like it specially for the size and number of fans in it! The pc will definitely not overheat.! I checked the power calculator and it recommends a 740W PSU. I'm still good but I may need  a 1000W if I install more raid arrays.

• 4. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Your build looks good. No remarks from my side, not even about the PSU. I think 850 W is plenty for this configuration, unless you increase memory to 64 GB AND overclock heavily AND add more disks. Remember, each disk uses around 8 W during writing, less during reading, so you should be safe.

I have a 1200W PSU, but have 64 GB RAM (@ 2180), overclock to 4.7 GHz, and have 2 SSD's, 2 BD burners and 25 HDD's internally, a PCIe raid controller and 16 fans installed and an overclocked 680/4G.

• 5. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                Kouper Level 1

Thank you Harm for your comment, I was looking forward to read what you thought about my project.  It sounds like a Go ahead to me! I will probably go for the 1000w  Cooler Master as John suggested it, to be ready if I start expanding the system.

Very exciting!

I will definitely come back when it's up and running!

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                  Kouper Level 1

Everything turned up in the last few days and today was "Assembling day". Big day ! I suppose that some are doing this with a cup of coffee in the other hand but for me, even being an IT Tech, it was the first or second time I was installing something that big and expensive. I did that just like a hobbyist, slowly, trying to be practicle and cautious. It took a long long  time, with breaks to allow my brain to cool down... And then came the time to plug it in the socket and push the button... thinking to the big hole in my bank account. People who build computers know what I'm saying ! And it started! and displayed the magic logo on the screen!  Yeah !!!!!  So this is not the end of it, I still have to install the raid and be sure that the temperature stays ok but tonight I feel a lot lighter and can't wait to start to edit something.

Be back soon.

• 7. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you are in IT just ignore the below if you already do this for yourself

When I build a computer, and every few months after completion, I make a full image of the boot drive after every major install step, to be able to easily go back if something did not install properly

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 8. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                      Kouper Level 1

Well, I've been away  busy lately and I had to postpone my tests and software installation, but it's now really up and running and...Wow!

I have installed Premiere CS6 and started editing stuff to try it... This thing is moving, reading, importing and rendering XDCAM HD50 422 files like "spreading melted butter on a slice of bread" .

Can't say better. Ok, I just done a short clip and I don't know how it would operate on a 20 minutes movie with multi effects and 5 layers of video, but so far I'm really impressed, I wanted a machine showing a lot of ease at doing things, and this one shows a lot! This is all what I wanted.

To complete my system, I've ordered a Matrox MX MO2 mini, to get a proper HDMI video signal and send it to a TV set. I will come back on this with my conclusions to bring some information to those (just like me) who are wondering about stuttering playback, previewing, or reading a file in a media player.

To be honest, so far the quality of the playback is so good that I can hardly see any stuttering at all and I believe I could be happy with it as it is. The thing is I just don't want to see any stuttering -period- in the  pans or when "big " things are crossing from A to B in my frame.

I will give it a go and see if it doe's the job, or not.

Cheers.

• 9. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

That is good news. Congrats.

I look forward to seeing your PPBM5 Benchmark results.

• 10. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                          Kouper Level 1

I've received and installed the MXo2 mini, and so far the benefit is null. what was stuttering during playback on the PC monitor is still stuttering.(no stuttering however in direct output from the camera into the TV)

I must miss something here.My playback settings look alright and the few settings in the card too. This card is supposed to send a true video signal to the TV, and make the playback smoother. It's not happening at the moment.

I think to start a new thread or join one about this problem, unless someone knows what I'm talking about and knows the solution.

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Can you take a screenshot of your Task Manager Performance tab and post here while the timeline is playback at once of the stuttering points?

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                              Kouper Level 1

Here it is... Everything looks alright to me, but this pan was not smooth at all.

Task manager.jpg

• 13. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...

Disable the audio tracks and just play the video. See if the playback is any different.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                  Kouper Level 1

Still the same, playback suttering during the pan...

• 15. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...

Is the Hardware MPE acceleration on in Project Settings and General?

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                      Kouper Level 1

Ha ha ! found it! I'm dancing in front of the screen...!

Well, here it is: I get a perfect playback on my hdmi TV set, 100% smooth during the pan and no frame dropped whatsoever, by:

Enabling playback with both fields, which is quite ugly played on the timeline or full screen, but through the matrox it is as fluid as you can dream about it.

Enabling first or second field is cleaner on the timeline but not as fluid, and played with this setting through the matrox doesn't improve the smoothness.

So for me the problem is solved, and I can now finally enjoy my clips! Wow, great!

• 17. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                        Kouper Level 1

Thank you Eric for your help. Yes the MPE is on .

• 18. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...

Excellent, glad you found the fix.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                            Mack Majors 11

I very much like this build and am seriously considering upgrading from what I am currently using.  I work mostly in After Effects and want render speeds to dramatically increase.  My question is how much improvement will I see over my current set up?

Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600, 12 gb DDR3 at 1333mhz, GeForce GT 545 1GB video card, Windows 7 pro, serial ATA II Raid 0 with dual 750gb drives.

versus

-MB Asus P9X79 Pro

-i7 3930K 3.2GHZ

-Noctua D14-2011 Dual Radiator PWM CPU Cooler NH-D14-2011

-Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

-EVGA GTX680 4GB

-

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

-PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply with Modular Cables (RSA00-AMBAJ3-US) 

Disks: 2 WD Green Desktop 2TB SATA 6.0 GB/s 3.5-Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive Retail Kit

C: OS (Windows 7 Pro) and programs.  Samsung 840 256 GB SSD (3GB/s port)

Any help or comments would be appreciated.  Thanks

• 20. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                              RjL190365 Level 4

For the listed custom build, I do not recommend any "Green" drives at all. This is because they spin at only 5400 RPM, and because they spin themselves down to a complete stop when idling for more than a few minutes (and this spin-down can occur in the middle of rendering/exporting). And when the disks spin themselves down to a complete stop when you least expect them to, they take far too long to spin themselves back up. This can not only cause renders and exports to take far longer than necessary, but can also destabilize the NLE itself (increased lock-ups, crashes, errors, etc.). Worst of all, this spin-down-to-a-complete-stop behavior cannot be overridden at all: You're stuck with it as long as you continue to own such "green" disks.

And if you believed that the "green" disks have the "variable-speed" Intellipower feature, think again: No mechanical hard drive has ever had variable-speed spindle motors! In fact, ALL mechanical hard drives (the WD Greens included) have fixed-speed spindle motors. As such, the only speeds that hard drives will spin at are either their advertised RPM (or in the case of the Greens, they initially had an unadvertised fixed spindle speed of less than 7200 RPM for the first such drives before settling on a 5400 RPM spindle for recent Green drives) - or a complete stop (0 RPM). Nothing at all whatsoever in between for a given disk. What IntelliPower really does is spin down those disks to a complete halt during periods of low usage (only this time it is fixed in its firmware and is not controlled at all by software).

• 21. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                                Mack Majors 11 Level 1

Thanks RJ.  That was really good advice.  I did not know that.   How about a pair of these:

Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX
                                                • 22. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                                  ibhurln

kouper, i have the exact components as you, and for the life of me can not get running in windows for the life of me without random crashes and such. what are your ram settings in bios? ive tried multiple settings changes and am at a loss. if you could share your settings that would be greatly appreciated!

• 23. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                                    serge kouper Level 1

Hi and sorry to answer only now, I have been away for the week end. My BIOS settings are default. I have not done any change whatsoever and I'm generally not a fan of tweaking, overclocking etc a computer. I suspect you have a Ram stick faulty or having conflicts with the others. Have a look at your power supply and connections as well. but keep in mind that a computer may chrash for any reason and because of any part in it.

As an IT engineer (having not seen your computer and what type of crashes you get) I would recommend to go back to the most simple configuration.

Reset the MB if you have done any CMos changes. Don't do bios updates unless absolute necessity. (Not necessary with a P979)

Keep only 1 HDD, 1Ram and reinstall windows. If you have any problem during the install or after when loading drivers and windows updates, then its either one of the 4: HDD, MB, PSU or RAM.Let's be optimistic about you GC!. proceed this way by trial and fail until you find the offender. Check also the quality of the power you plug your computer to... (Bad ground etc...): It's enough to crash it randomly. It may be long but you have to start from the beginning to be sure.

This is what I would do for myself if I had the same problems.

Hope it helps. Good Luck!

• 24. Re: Another build project awaiting for validation...
                                                      ibhurln Level 1

thank you for your reply! after working with many people and a lot of testing it turns out the motherboard was the culprit. the bios would change settings on its own to those i didnt enter and save, which resulted in crashes. i had to RMA the motherboard, and am going to use a different brand due to the many of these boards out there that have problems-which sucks because i love ASUS!