Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player re-installation problem

Acer Aspire X3200

Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit): Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 7450 Dual-core processor 2.40 Ghz

RAM 3.0 GB

Internet Explorer 9

YouTube and BBC iPlayer both ran with no problems for several years.

I upgraded to Windows 7, disliked it and returned the PC to Factory Default setting which includes Windows Vista as above.

Now both YouTube and BBC iPlayer tell me I must install Flash Player and most videos on YouTube refuse to play (black screen with message to install FlashPlayer).

Here are the (fruitless) steps I then took:

Ran Active System Care & repaired all errors.

Uninstalled Flash Player from Control Panel.

Downloaded Adobe’s Flash Player Uninstaller and ran it.

Ran C Cleaner and removed all references to adobe from registry.

Rebooted PC.

Having noted lots of complaints re problems with the latest version of Flash Player, I installed version 10.3 for IE from here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4937633

Rebooted PC.

YouTube and BBC iPlayer both STILL says I must install Flash Player.

When I look here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

The box that should show the version of Flash Player installed is blank.

Still on that website page, in step 3 I selected ‘Installation issues for Windows’.

I checked that ‘scripting’ was enabled in both ‘Internet’ and ‘Trusted Sites’ dropdown tabs. (They were enabled but I disabled then re-enabled them to be sure).

Followed the link to download latest Flash Player but did not install it yet.

Temporarily deactivated AVAST & Active System Care.

Downloaded Flash Player 11.

Google Chrome (which I detest and did not want) was downloaded with it, I saw no way to stop this but unchecked the Chrome launch button before hitting ‘Finish’.

After a long look at a black dialogue box (delay never happened before) got message :

‘Flash Player installation successful’.

Closed this dialogue box & rebooted.

Tried YouTube but videos still don’t work with the same demand that I install Flash Player, although these videos do play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeSEcL8UrYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBrTvl809sw

BBC iPlayer also still demands Flash Player installation.

Went to Adobe Flash Player Support Centre and the box that should show the version of Flash Player installed is still blank.

H-E-L-P.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if any of these actions can fix your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, you, sir, are a genius. Which is more than I can say for the person who decided that Flash Player should be renamed to Shockwave Flash Object in IE add-ons.

Now both YouTube and BBC iPlayer are working as before.

The real villains here, though, are the idiots who are flooding our computers with spam, forcing me and others to keep deleting anything that looks suspicious. Not knowing what Shockwave Flash Object was made it seem a threat in my eyes. I have reproduced below the action, prompted by your good self, that fixed the problem for me.

• Launch Internet Explorer and navigate to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
  • If you see an animation playing, then Flash Player is enabled.
  • If you don’t see an animation playing, then Flash Player is not enabled. In that case, click on the Tools icon in the top right corner of Internet Explorer. (The icon looks like a cogwheel.)
  • In the drop-down menu which appears, click Manage Add-Ons.
  • In the dialog which appears, select Toolbars and Extensions.
  • In the list of Add-ons, look for “Shockwave Flash Object” – which is another name for Flash Player.
  • In the Status column, check to see whether Shockwave Flash Object is Disabled. If it is, click the row for Shockwave Flash Object to highlight it.
  • In the bottom right corner of the Manage Add-ons dialog, click the Enable button.
  • Close the Manage Add-ons dialog.
  • Click Refresh to reload the webpage. If you see the animation playing this time, then Flash Player has been successfully enabled

Thanks again, Pat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

retirwb wrote:

... Shockwave Flash Object in IE add-ons.

That is really a legacy issue.  Flash (and Flash Player) was originally developed by Macromedia in the 1990's; it had that name ever since...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines