1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 202 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 3:46 AM by Rexgom Go to original post
      • 80. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
        marky mark and the funky Level 1

I found that answer number 32 form the following thread worked (or made it at least usable for me). I am running Win 7 64bit Ultimate with 16Gb Ram and i 2500K cpu and 2Gb ATI card. Had tried 'everything' the adobe members threw up..

http://adobe.hosted.jivesoftware.com/message/4481544

Hope it works for you.... It has for me (for half an hour anyway)

• 81. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
          J&HK Level 1

Discovered today, 21 May 2013. HOPEFULLY, the ANSWER!!

Open BRIDGE

Select THUMBNAIL OPTIONS from the icon on the address bar at the right/top of the screen.

This should have HIGH QUALITY PREVIEWS checked.

Check GENERATE 100% PREVIEWS.

Immediately UNCHECK GENERATE 100% PREVIEWS

This should reset the registry key that causes BRIDGE to continuously reload 100% previews of thumbnails!

A further symptom that this is occurring is that once the folder has been re-cached by Bridge (before doing the above), all the image files in that folder will have 100% previews already (no "Loading 100%" when the spacebar has been pressed and a left-click on the image to load the 100% view), even though this switch is un-checked.).

It appears that something causes BRIDGE to set this flag in the registry (incorrectly), while showing the flag as not set in the visual user interface. Setting and un-setting the flag causes the registry key to be correctly re-initialised.

I have encountered this on two PCs running CS6. On my own PC, re-installing CS6 to fix the loss of the connection between BRIDGE and PHOTOSHOP also corrected the above problem, so it appears to be an intermittent fault when CS6 is installed. Sometimes the registry flag is initialised correctly, and sometimes it is not.

The other occurrence was on a friend's PC. That PC has also lost the connection between Bridge and Photoshop, so it could be that the registry "corruption" causes both problems. The continuously loading thumbnails (and displaying the message "Building Criteria ... " while Bridge does this) appear to be resolved by performing the above action (or by re-installing CS6). That PC's owner has now re-loaded a whole swag of his image folders in Bridge. Some have needed to re-cache the thumbnails. When this has been done once (relatively quick, now that Bridge is not re-building 100% previews), returning to that folder loads the Bridge database and thumbnails for that folder almost instantly.

On my own PC, opening a folder containing 900 image files (450 .DNG with original raw embedded + 450 large JPEGs, with user-applied metadata, takes less than 5 seconds). Changing this switch for an open folder immediately precipitates the long process of generating 100% previews for that folder. This is PAINFULLY slow! This operation can only be cancelled by re-setting the switch back to un-checked.

A study of two PCs doth not a representative sample make, I know; but it does seem to validate the theory.

BTW, do not use both CS5 and CS6 Bridge on the same computer without changing the central cache location for at least one version - and preferably for both.

Hope this is of some help to others.

• 82. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
            Curt Y Level 7

J&HK wrote:

Open BRIDGE

Select THUMBNAIL OPTIONS from the icon on the address bar at the right/top of the screen.

BTW, do not use both CS5 and CS6 Bridge on the same computer without changing the central cache location for at least one version - and preferably for both.

Thank you for reporting this workaround.  Have never had the problem, but many others have.  Not clear on you reasoning for changing cache location for CS5 and CS6.  I have both on same address (Drive S), and have seen no problems.

• 83. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
              SandraChung Level 1

J&HK wrote:

Open BRIDGE

This should reset the registry key that causes BRIDGE to continuously reload 100% previews of thumbnails!

I never had Generate 100% Previews selected in CS5E or CS6E. And in CS6 there is "High Quality on Demand" or "Always High Quality".  I tried both, and still have the 'building criteria' and waiting for an often visited folder behaving as if it's a set of freshly imported group of photos.

• 84. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                J&HK Level 1

Hello Sandra

Those symptoms are identical to what my friend's computer was doing. Mine was doing something similar, but different.

We did as I described in my post above. Please be aware that Curt has only quoted part of that post, and that my reasoning is explained in full in my own post.

What the "fix" I have proposed does is to set the Windows registry switch to the value to GENERATE 100% PREVIEWS (which it seems it is already set to), then resets that switch to the correct value that tells Bridge NOT to continuously re-build 100% previews. Bit like flicking a dodgy light switch On-Off-On until it finally lands on the ON position . To get the fix, you need to toggle that software switch ON, then OFF.

SET the software switch in the user interface to GENERATE 100% PREVIEWS, Bridge will start re-building the 100% previews (as it currently does), after it has run a few images, then RESET the software switch so that GENERATE 100% PREVIEWS is no longer ticked. This will stop Bridge in the middle of what it's doing, and then let it finish if it needs to build or re-build any normal thumbnails for that folder.

You will find that Bridge will probably need to re-build thumbnails for each folder you visit after doing this change, but it should not take long to finish. It is very important to let Bridge finish each folder when this process starts. If you don't allow it to finish, what Schewe and Fraser call "the race to the finish" happens, where Bridge switches its attention to whatever new task it has been given, and this will take priority over any existing tasks.

I have GENERATE HIGH QUALITY THUMBNAILS checked on my computer. It is still very fast to load a folder, but I have to let it finish building these the first time I open that folder. It takes FAR less time than the Generate 100% Previews does.

Message was edited by: J&HK. Clarified what I said in my previous post.

• 85. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                  J&HK Level 1

Hello Curt

The very fact that you have the caches on Drive S: indicates that you have already done this. The default location for the Bridge cache is always in the USER folder (under "Documents and Settings" in W2K, XP Pro and under "Users" in WinNT v3.10 to 4.0 and Vista, Win7.). I sure don't recommend sharing the same central cache folder for Bridge 5 and 6. Both will be corrupted. This happened to me when I tried it out.

Apart from this reason, it is also best to have the cache for things like the OS virtual memory file, PS cache and Bridge cache on separate hard disk drives, if possible. I have 3x HDDs in my main workstation for this purpose, and 2x in my wife's, ditto. The 3 drive scenario will always give much better performance for a given computer than having only a single drive. This is one of many drawbacks of using laptops for serious work.

Of course, one should also defragment one's HDDs regularly, particularly the OS HDD, I do mine about weekly. I use ULTRADEFRAG from SourceForge.net. I find it reliable, simple and it works far better than the same program that ships with Windows, even though it uses the same core code AFAIK. I have used ULTRADEFRAG with XP Pro, Vista and 7 Pro/Home; 32 and 64 bit. While mostly retired, I have done this stuff for nearly 40 years.

• 86. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                    Curt Y Level 7

Like you I have always kept my scratch and cache flies off of the C: drive.  But since CS3,4,5,6 all have different cache databases they do not interact even if on same drive.  One version can not even read the other.

• 87. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                      SandraChung Level 1

I read your entire post, but didn't see the need to quote the whole thing.  This 'trick' works, only if I don't shut Photoshop or Bridge down. Once I do, it's back to glacial slowness yet again.

Example: Photos are on M: drive M:\Photography\ .. There are 170 folders and 140 images in the root directory of PHOTOGRAPHY.  It's the default folder select every time I start bridge. 

For this test I used M:\Photography\Birds\Honeyeaters (82 jpgs)  and M:\Photography\Flora\Native Plants (109 jpgs).

Started PSCS6 and CS5 bridge: Bridge snaps folder open immediately, no little circle going round and round, no "Building Criteria". Move to Honeyeaters or flora, again, immediate loading, no waiting for criteria to build or thumbnails to build.

Shut down both Photoshop CS6 and Bridge CS5.

Restart PSCS6, start CS6 Bridge. M\Photography\  did your suggestion. Visted the Birds and Flora folders, applied your suggesting, and yes, waited until Bridge was finished with each folder. While in Bridge going back and forth, yes it's almost as responsive as CS5 Bridge.  BUT shut both PS6 and Bridge down, restart them both. Once again, even after using your 'flick the switch off and on", behaves as if it's a new viewing.

And as Curt said, CS5 and CS6 bridge do not access the same directories/thumbnails. They build and read from their own seperate ones.

• 88. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                        J&HK Level 1

Sandra

You may need to either completely flush the Bridge cache, and/or reinstall CS6 as a clean install (deactivate CS6 before uninstalling it) (I did both - grrr! The latter several times.).

I also had to flush the central cache completely. I changed the name of the original cache folder with Bridge etc closed. then re-started Bridge and re-created the central cache from scratch - ugh! I then set Bridge to re-indexing all the sub-folders. This took well over 12 hours - again, ugh!!

Like you, I upload all of my images to one head folder. There are around 50,000 files under that head folder, stored by camera model/card number etc. However, I have set the switch in Bridge to go to the last folder used.

Then opened one of my smart collections, and noticed each time it gagged on a folder ("Indexing folder ... " displayed in the status bar), and then went to that folder in Bridge and either manually purged the folder cache, or just let Bridge re-index it automatically. Some particular folders Bridge didn't like at all for some unknown reason. I had to move the folder of phone images out of my head folder, then copy all the images back into a new folder created for them. Bridge was then OK with them. Seems that Bridge didn't like something about the JPEGs that my BB phone creates. Neither does my own web site.

All up, it took days of work.

I have not had this sort of problem since the bad old days of Acrobat Pro v4.0/4.5. CS and CS2 caches were incompatible, IIRC. Since then, I keep cache files for different versions in different folders.

No one at Adobe seems to know what the problem is; or how to fix it.

Same with Acrobat Pro X. There is a fix for Acrobat Pro called ACROFIX.EXE which fixes the licensing problem with that program. It took several calls to Adobe and about 4 different support people before I stumbled on the one who told me about this fix!

Good luck with it!

• 89. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                          SandraChung Level 1

J&HK wrote:

Sandra

You may need to either completely flush the Bridge cache, and/or reinstall CS6 as a clean install (deactivate CS6 before uninstalling it) (I did both - grrr! The latter several times.).

I've done all that, over and over and over ad nauseum, and did so when trying your suggestion.

• 90. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                            J&HK Level 1

Sandra

I feel your pain and frustration, mate. This sort of problem can drive one nuts!

Two additional things:

1) Have you raised a support ticket with Adobe?

2) Have you tried uninstalling all Adobe products (deactivate them all first ... ); then run their CS cleaner utility? This latter program should remove all vestigial traces of their programs that are hiding away on your HDDs and in the Windows Registry.

This latter is a real pain in the neck, or somewhat lower down one's anatomy , but should get rid of any additional residual garbage that Adobe has left lurking on your PC. The clean tool can be found here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Make sure that you follow the instructions to the letter.

All the best, John

• 91. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                              SandraChung Level 1

1: No. Every time I tried I get shunted back to Community forums.

2: Yes, yes, and yes.

• 92. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                J&HK Level 1

That's pretty lousy customer support IMNSHO, Sandra.

Have you tried lodging a formal ticket via this fairly well hidden link?

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

That should at least get you a written ticket reference number and some real technical help.

Detail all the procedures that you have gone through, including your (failed) attempts.to get some "real" technical support for what is hardly a cheap product. I have gotten better support for freeware than you have got. As for Adobe support, I never let them duck-shove me as they obviously have with you. Just plain bad service.

No wonder that Adobe think that renting their s/w by the month is a wonderful idea. From what I have read all over the net, users who think that cloud computing is great are in a very tiny minority. I have 2 licences each for CS6 and CS5. After they are no longer useable, I might switch to Capture One Pro, or similar.

As always, good luck with it. John.

• 93. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                  SandraChung Level 1

That was what I was referring to about it shunting me to the Community Forums.  There is no direct email address to open tickets anymore.

• 94. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                    J&HK Level 1

I don't know where you live, Sandra, but here in Australia we have some fairly stern and draconian consumer protection legislation, as well as our dear old Sale of Goods Act that dates from at least the beginning of the last century. This latter requires goods to be of merchantable quality, and reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are sold. That means that they must be specifically so for you, as the individual purchaser. There is nothing in that Act of Parliament that excludes computer software.

IOW, howl like a banshee at Adobe, and if necessary, send emails/letters/faxes to their head office detailing your experience/s. Mention that this has been going on since day one of your purchasing the software (i.e. the problems you are still having were raised with them, or you attempted to raise them with them, from when you first installed the s/w - therefore the s/w did not work properly from day one; well within the 90 day free support period, and therefore it is still covered under that Adobe advertised warranty.). Faxes and/or letters are better than emails. It is just all too easy for emails to get "lost".

BTW, in Australia, no seller of anything can in any way restrict or limit the statutory warranty provisions of the Sale of Goods Act, or any other consumer legislation. IOW, just because Adobe says "within 90 days" does not make it so. Fitness for purpose is required by the Goods Act, and due regard is had to the reasonable length of time that purchased goods are expected to last and function.

Good hunting, and good luck. John

• 95. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                      J&HK Level 1

Hello Sandra

You have probably hit the sack by now, but I have been investigating this on my laptop (running CS5, and previously CS3).

I have found the registry keys involved. The key occurs in two places in the Windows registry, once under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\..\Bridge CS5\Preferences and once under the  \HKEY_USERS\{username code}\..\Bridge CS5\Preferences.

HKEY_USERS\{user credentials}\Software\Adobe\Bridge CS5\Preferences

The registry key details as follows:

GenerateFullSize Type=REG_BINARY Value=00 (for NO 100% previews)

GenerateFullSize Type=REG_BINARY Value=01 (for 100% previews)

Before you go hacking the Windows registry, please check the values of these keys, and their permissions order. Actually altering the registry can be fraught, and I will need to give you very explicit instructions on what to do, and how to do it.

Interestingly, all the Bridge CS3 registry entries are still in the registry, even though CS3 has been uninstalled from the laptop.

When I check out my main workstation (currently running both CS5 and CS6), it shows this registry key under Bridge CS6\Preferences, but not under Bridge CS5\Preferences.

What may be happening, is that this registry key has another owner on your computer (other than the default owner), or has been made read only by something. The default owner is the user you registered when you installed Windows.

Something far more interesting happened when I right clicked on all the Bridge registry entries for all the versions that have been installed on this laptop. Windows informed me that the permissions on all the registry keys under all versions of Bridge were incorrectly sorted, leading to "some keys may become ineffective". All versions were installed using the completely standard Adobe install programs. Methinks that this finding might well underlie all of these strange problems. The Adobe installation program is not installing the registry key permissions in the correct order!

This error message did not appear when I checked my main w/s.

Correcting the sort order of the 'permissions' has made my laptop (Bridge CS5) noticeably faster to load a folder of images!

Please do get back to me before doing any changes of any description to your Windows registry!!

regards, John

• 96. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                        Curt Y Level 7

To increase the pain in the butt for using Adobe Script Cleaner the folks at Premier Pro recommend running it 3 ot 4 times, rebooting computer each time.

• 97. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                          Vienna_Sydney Level 1

I have CS5 and CS6 installed and all registry entries were correct. The "building criteria" has always been slow since installing CS6. This is supposed to be 64bit and should theoretically be faster that CS5. I have tried everything possible, but nothing has improved this particular problem when switching folders.

• 98. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                            Curt Y Level 7

I agree that CS6 is slower to build thumbnails than CS5.  Does not make sense, as like you say, it should be faster at 64 bits..  They changed the database and it just takes more time to process now.  I use Bridge CS5 and PS CS6.  Works that way for me as I don't process many raw images.

• 99. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                              SandraChung Level 1

So, it seems my only choice is to use CS5 Bridge, as I do shoot RAW  exclusively with my DSLRs, and only use CS6 Bridge if I need to process a  JPG in ACR (lens profiles, purple defringing etc etc).  And now with Adobe going to Mandatory Subscription Only, they won't even bother to correct this issue, or even look into it.

My problem is that if I right click on JPG to process in ACR with CS5 I get the "No qualifiying Parent program" error. Yes, it's a bought and paid for copy.  EDIT: and yes, I've done all the purported 'fixes' for this error, and none have worked.

• 100. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                Vienna_Sydney Level 1

If you set the preferences, file types association, to open raw files with CS6, then PS6 will open correctly. I can right click, or double click on the photo and it will open correctly from Bridge CS5

• 101. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                  SandraChung Level 1

I've tried that.  And when I right click on a JPG to open in adobe camera raw (sometimes I want to do this to get to the the finer adjustments in ACR), I get the previously mentioned error. 

CS5 Bridge.jpg

But all CR2/RAW/ORF files open in ACR v7 from CS5 Bridge.

This is with every instance of Photoshop CS5 changed to Photoshop CS6, and as you can see, that error still occurs.

Oh, also know I can set preferences to have ACR open jpgs all the time, but I don't want that.  I don't want ACR opening for every jpg file I just want to view.

• 102. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                    Curt Y Level 7

SandraChung wrote:

My problem is that if I right click on JPG to process in ACR with CS5 I get the "No qualifiying Parent program" error.

From my readings the major cause of this error is an expired Adobe trial that is still on your machine.  Bridge is expecting this expired trial program to authorize its use.

• 103. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                      Vienna_Sydney Level 1

or CS6 has not been opened before. You then get the same error message

@SandraChung

If you want to just view the jpg file only, you simply press space bar. My jpg's open only if I double click, or right click to open

• 104. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                        SandraChung Level 1

Vienna_Sydney wrote:

@SandraChung

If you want to just view the jpg file only, you simply press space bar. My jpg's open only if I double click, or right click to open

*facepalm*  The issue is when using CS5 bridge because CS6 Bridge is so slow, is NOT being able to open JPGs in Adobe Camera Raw with CS5 Bridge. Pressing the space bar will NOT open JPGs in Adobe Camera Raw when using CS5 Bridge. Yes, I know it will let you look at them screen sized, but you're missing the point.

1: Adobe Bridge CS5 will open Camera RAW formats in Adobe Camera Raw with a double click. RIGHT Clicking will bring up "No Parent Program" error.

2: Adobe Bridge CS5 Will NOT open JPGs in Adobe Camera Raw with a RIGHT Click Open in Adobe Camera Raw, I will get the error of no parent program.

3: If I try to adjust Adobe Camera Raw via the Menu Bar in CS5 Bridge, I again get the no parent program error.

4: I know I can set preferences in Photoshop to open JPGs in Adobe Camera Raw, but I don't want to ALWAYS open or view JPGs in Adobe Camera Raw, just ones taken with small point and shoot, or from already processed jpgs that I want to do minor tweaking with the tools in Adobe Camera Raw.

Hope that clears things up.

• 105. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                          SandraChung Level 1

That would apply if the version I have installed wasn't the boxed version of CS5E. I know about the 'trial' version error, but that's not the case here (and also not always the case with this error with Adobe bridge, as it happens to others with different adobe products, ie Elements)

• 106. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                            Vienna_Sydney Level 1

Perhaps you should try a reinstall. I only ever got this error after installing Adobe, opening Bridge before PS and trying to do anything with Camera Raw. I assume, Adobe needs to be activated before you can open Camera Raw

• 107. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                              SandraChung Level 1

Are you kidding me? NOOB advice?

Oh for pitys' sake, read the thread. I've deactivated, uninstalled, rebooted more times, wasting more hours and days than I can tally.

• 108. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                SandraChung Level 1

Since there are three pages of this, and some people are chiming in late, let me sum up everything I've done.

CS6:  I've deactivated, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, reactivated 6 times. The last 3 times I used the Adobe app cleaner, and Adobe Bridge is still slow.

CS5 reBridge 'error": Deactivated, uninstalled, reinstalled, reactiveated more times than I can recall, used Adobe app cleaner last two times. Still get "No parent" error.

I even went so far as uninstalled full registered Elements and Lightroom to see if either of them were the problem. (Before you ask, I have them installed because some people want me to edit/check their images in the same program they are using)

So, quick sumary: Adobe CS6 Bridge is snail slow.  Adobe CS5 Bridge is fast, but I can't right click to open jpgs in Adobe Camera Raw. I can set preferences in any version of Photoshop to open all jpgs in Adobe Camera Raw, but I don't want that. Sometimes, all I want to do is open a jpg to resize/recrop/retouch or other action that ACR isn't needed or wanted.

I hope that clears it up completely. I will try new ideas, but please, stop giving me noob advise.

• 109. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                  Vienna_Sydney Level 1

no need to get agitated about it. I was just trying to help.

If I disable JPEG and TIFF handling in Camera Raw Preferences, a double click will open the file in CS6. If I right click, I get the option to "Open" "Open with-" or "Open in Camera Raw" from the call-out menu

• 110. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                    C'mon, Adobe Level 1

I'll tack on my thread link to this to describe my very similar problem. I've done a clean swipe of Adobe and bridge CS6 and CC both don't work and just build criteria (though nothing is happening according ot activity monitor). I'll also state the I just finished deleting every trace I could find of adobe using uninstalls, cleaner, and searches of everything Adobe then installed CC with no resolution to the problem.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5467049#5467049

• 111. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                      C'mon, Adobe Level 1

I BRINGETH GREAT NEWS that will hopefully fix your problem (if it is still prevalant).

1. Have you enabled the root user? If so, skip to the next section, if not:

• Go to System Preferences > Users and Groups. Unlock the lock in the bottom left (if you've enabled that feature)
                                                                      • Click Login Options
                                                                      • Click 'Join' nest to Network Account Server
                                                                      • Click 'Open Directory Utility'
                                                                      • Unlock the lock again
                                                                      • Go to Edt > Enable Root User
                                                                      • Click Apply then logout of your user
                                                                      • On the login screen, select other and type in Root and your password

2.You should now be logged into the root account. From there:

• Click 'Get Info' (command+i) on the following folders stored in Macintosh HD (or whatever you've named your HD):
                                                                        • Applications
                                                                        • Library
                                                                        • System
                                                                        • Users
                                                                      • Click the lock on the bottom right corner and enter your password
                                                                      • If your account is not listed, press the plus sign and add your name with Read/Write Permissions
                                                                        • If your name is listed, make sure it is listed as Read/Write
                                                                          • I also added 'admin' just in case as well
                                                                      • Click the gear icon next to the plus and minus buttons, and select 'Apply to enlcosed items'
                                                                      • Now you wait for this process to finish, it took my computer roughly 30 mins.
                                                                      • Once each folder has  completed, logout and log back into your account and everything should be working.

Note it is recommended to turn the root user back off, though I don't.

Hope this works for you! If you try to run bridge while on the Root account it won't work, but once you log back into your own account it should be operational again!

• 112. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                        SandraChung Level 1

I found a solution. It turns out the problem is with the 64bit version of Bridge.

I was >.< this close to giving up on Adobe Photoshop CS6E 64bit because of how glacially slow Bridge was. Bridge in Photoshop CS5 64bit was fast, but in Photoshop CS6 64bit, snails could out run it.

So, ok, what's the different between CS6 and CS5 Bridge?  For months, I couldn't find a damned thing. Set up was the same,  same settings for thumbnails, disk caching, etc all the same.

I did find I could use the faster CS5 bridge with CS6, if I was willing to do without a few of the tools, including the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw.  I actually did do this for a few days, but certain ACR tools were integral in photo processing.

While I was setting up a new script with a nifty utility called Y-Launch, a great freeware program made by Spacejock Software to run  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS6 64bit and C:\Adobe\Adobe CS5 64 bit Bridge, I discovered that although there is 64bit version of Bridge for CS6, there is no 64bit version of Bridge for CS5.

*LIGHTBULB*

Kept Y-Launch open, and checked the Program Files (86) directory and sure enough, there was CS5 bridge for 32bit, and one for CS6 also. Hmmm, CS5 fast, 32 bit. CS6 slow.. and it's launching the 64bit version.  Let's see how fast it is if I launch the 32bit version of Adobe CS6 Bridge.

EUREKA!  Once again, thumbnails loading fast, no more stalling at "Building Criteria", and no more of the program behaving as if every time I open a specific folder, that it's a brand new import.  Had I known, or twigged to the fact earlier, that Photoshop CS5 Bridge was 32bit only.

So now in Y-Launch, I have a script file that executes the following commands:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS6\Bridge.exe"

I guess you could have any task launcher do this (or pin the CS6 32bit Bridge to your task bar),  but the one I'm familiar with is Y-Launch.

• 113. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                          Curt Y Level 7

Yes, in CS6 Bridge was rewritten to be a 64 bit program.  It was about the only change from CS5. As stated many times I also feel the 64 bit version is slower at building thumbnails than the 32 bit previous version.  Have not tried running the 32 bit CS6 version.  Mostly use CS5 Bridge.

• 114. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                            narikin Level 1

I'm using Bridge CS6 (version 5.0.2.4 x64) and that seems to have fixed my problems. Been stable for many months now. 

Yes, 64bit, but my thumbnails build quick enough, and don't re-build each time.

Thank Goodness, someone fixed Bridge in CS6 x64.

• 115. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                              SandraChung Level 1

Curt Y wrote:

Yes, in CS6 Bridge was rewritten to be a 64 bit program.  It was about the only change from CS5. As stated many times I also feel the 64 bit version is slower at building thumbnails than the 32 bit previous version.  Have not tried running the 32 bit CS6 version.  Mostly use CS5 Bridge.

Unlike CS5E, CS6E has both 32bit and 64bit Bridge.  As I said, had I known when I was running Photopshop CS5E 64bit that it was running CS5 Bridge 32 bit, instead of what I had presumed was 64bit, I might have discovered that running the CS6 Bridge 32bit was the fix for bridge being so slow.

Funny thing: Adobe Creative Cloud appears to only have 64bit bridge (I downloaded trial of it, didn't see any need to keep it after the trial. CS6 with current plugins does same thing as CC does, without monthy fees)

• 116. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                                SandraChung Level 1

narikin wrote:

I'm using Bridge CS6 (version 5.0.2.4 x64) and that seems to have fixed my problems. Been stable for many months now. 

Yes, 64bit, but my thumbnails build quick enough, and don't re-build each time.

Thank Goodness, someone fixed Bridge in CS6 x64.

I've been using that version of Bridge, and it was still snail slow. It seems using the 32bit version of CS6 Bridge is the solution for me. 

• 117. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                                  Curt Y Level 7

SandraChung, I don't see how you could not know CS6 Bridge was 64 bit, and all prior versions were 32 bit.  It was widely advertised and pointed out many times when it first came out.  Just because CS5 and CS4 Photoshop was 64 bit, did not make CS5 and CS4 Bridge 64 bit.  Perhaps that is what confused you.

• 118. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                                    narikin Level 1

Yes Sandra, I am Windows too! (7 Pro x64).  I've been on this thread with the same compalint myself now for well over a year. Am very sympathetic to your complaints and the silly suggestions made by Adobe etc.

Obviously YMMV, but CS6 64bit, did correct the issue for me.  Sorry it hasn't helped you,

(but as the above poster says, check your are using/opening the 64bit version of CS6 Bridge, not the old 32bit one)

• 119. Re: CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'
                                                                                      tunghoy Level 1

Holy cow. Without changing that option, Bridge is so slow as to be unusable. Thanks.