11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2013 10:06 AM by Kranex1

Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value

pingoo0 Level 1

Hi Folks,

i´m looking forward to buy a new graphic card for my new pc.

On my list there was the Nvidia GTX Titan but i´m not quite sure if the K5000 would improve the performance of Adobe Premiere and After effects enourmously. 

The interessting Components of the pc are:

1 x [url=http://geizhals.de/841490]Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (MZ-7PD256BW)[/url]

1 x [url=http://geizhals.de/691075]Intel Core i7-3930K, 6x 3.20GHz, boxed (BX80619I73930K)[/url]

4 x [url=http://geizhals.de/862495]Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24, very low profile (DDR3-1600) (BLS2C8G3D1609ES2LX0CEU/BLS2K8G3D1609ES2LX0)[/url]

1 x [url=http://geizhals.de/697065]ASUS P9X79 Pro, X79 (quad PC3-10667U DDR3) (90-MIBH40-G0EAY00Z)[/url]

So which one would you choose? I know the k5000 ist much more expensive but it would be worth it if theres much more performance. Actual there´s an GTX 570 which is doing the job.

Regards

pingoo0

• 1. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Both are serious overkill for such a system, the K5000 mainly for its exorbitant price, since it does not perform better than a GTX 670. A GTX 670 or a 660 Ti would be far more suitable and saves a lot of money. With an i7-3930K at stock speed, only 16 GB memory @ 1600, only a single SSD, anything more than a 670 would be choked by the limitations of the rest of the system. If you want to invest in your system, keep your 570 and add memory to at least 32 GB and a dedicated raid controller and lots of disks. There is no discernible performance difference between a 570 and the 660 Ti or 670 or the K5000 to justify the cost. If you are a bachelor, you can go ahead, but if you have to justify the expense to the Financial Director, I wish you luck...

• 2. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
            Alex - DV411 Level 2

I'd only recommend K5000 if:

• you need 10-bit color output to a compatible monitor (few editors do)
            • you prefer the graphics card to be covered by the same on-site warranty the rest of your system is - e.g. if you have a Tier 1 system like HP Z820

Titan:

• if you plan to use applications other than Adobe ones that take good advantage of it

If none of the above applies to you (which doesn't look like it), follow Harm's advice.

• 3. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
              Harm Millaard Level 7

you prefer the graphics card to be covered by the same on-site warranty the rest of your system is - e.g. if you have a Tier 1 system like HP Z820

which is not the case, since the OP has an Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard and the other components.

• 4. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
                pingoo0 Level 1

There is 4 Times 16 GB of RAM Quad Channel :)

So it is a total of 64Gb RAM

• 5. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
                  pingoo0 Level 1

And of course a Raid System with several Data Disks and multiple SSD Disks

Where can i get a Benchmark of the titan Performans on cs6 premiere?

• 7. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
                    Kranex1 Level 1

The Titan is generally the better value...by far. But not for the program you stated. Those are especially optimized for the Quadro cards. Get the Quadro card if you need 3D capability and/or AE, Premiere is your priority. For less than optimal perfomance of those programs, and gaming excellence, get the Titan.

• 8. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
                      KennyBrandon Level 1

"""Hi Folks,

i´m looking forward to buy a new graphic card for my new pc.

On my list there was the Nvidia GTX Titan but i´m not quite sure if the K5000 would improve the performance of Adobe Premiere and After effects enourmously.

The interessting Components of the pc are:

1 x [url=http://geizhals.de/841490]Samsung SSD 840 Pro Series 256GB, 2.5", SATA 6Gb/s (MZ-7PD256BW)[/url]

1 x [url=http://geizhals.de/691075]Intel Core i7-3930K, 6x 3.20GHz, boxed (BX80619I73930K)[/url]

4 x [url=http://geizhals.de/862495]Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24, very low profile (DDR3-1600) (BLS2C8G3D1609ES2LX0CEU/BLS2K8G3D1609ES2LX0)[/url]

1 x [url=http://geizhals.de/697065]ASUS P9X79 Pro, X79 (quad PC3-10667U DDR3) (90-MIBH40-G0EAY00Z)[/url]

So which one would you choose? I know the k5000 ist much more expensive but it would be worth it if theres much more performance. Actual there´s an GTX 570 which is doing the job.

Regards

pingoo0"""

I too just finished building my system; a similar system. The last part i needed was my GPU. After all my purchases I totally blew my budget and was left with the option to buy a cheap gpu and get things up and running or wait. The kid in me went to Best Buy and bought a NVIDIA GT640. Beleive it or not it works decently for what it is. I can process 1500 RAW photos in Adobe Camera Raw 7.1 in 20minutes or so; not bad. And I can edit Sony XDCam EX3 footage shot at 1920x1080 30fps (progressive) I can encode a 10minute clip to mpeg2 in about 3 minutes. Again, not bad. Here's the kicker... Once I add 1 filter to the edit it litterally chokes the system whether im in software rendering  mode or using the hacked version of MPE assited rendering. So, now that my system is built and i'm ready to make the swap on my less than adequate GPU I'm kinda second guessing myself. I've been stuck on the "Galaxy GTX670 4GB" card but then the K5000 came out. I kinda wanted to work towards getting a 30 bit monitor but think it's prolly overkill for what i'm doing. I shoot and edit 3k-10photos and shoot and edit 3-10hours of video content.

Here's my system as it sits:

CM Storm Trooper Case

ASRock X79 Extreme9 Mobo

Intel 3930K CPU Clocked @ 4.4ghz

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz clocked at 2133mhz CL10

Corsair H80 CPU Cooler

Seasonic X1050 1050Watt PSU

Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD (OS & Apps only)

Intel 520 120GB (Cache for all Adobe Apps)

Current Storage Configuration that will be changing soon is

4xRAID0 3TB WD Green

3xRAID0 1TB WD RE4 the arrays aren't filled past the 3 TB of the Samllest array and i have Acronis true Image 2013 syncing the 2 arrays

I'm looking into an LSI MegaRAID some flavor of an 8i probably 512mb ddr2 to create a 4xRAID10 out of the 3 WD green Drives using the LSI controller and keeping the 3xRAID0 on the SATA 2 controller by intel thats onboard. the 4xRAID10 will be RAW content and edited content and the 3XRAID0 will be where I transfer files to for editing.

So does this sound pretty reasonable? Are there any changes you think should be made? Which GPU or Dual GPU setup would benifet this system?

Sorry if my typing doesn't come accross understandable.

thank you for the guidance in advace.

--Kenny Brandon

• 9. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Kenny,

The Titan is by far the fastest video card available. The K5000 is much slower and much costlier, but offers 10 bit output for those who have costly 10 bit monitors.

Let's assume for the moment you don't have a 10 bit monitor, then your choices as I see them are:

Current i7-3930K OC @ 4.4

Option 1,

Budget

Option 2,

Economical

Option 3,

Warrior

With 32 GB memory and current disk setupGTX 650 Ti BoostGTX 660GTX 660 Ti
                        With 64 GB memory and current disk setupGTX 660GTX 660 TiGTX 670
                        With 32 GB Memory and fast array, 800+ MB/sGTX 660 TiGTX 670GTX 680
                        With 64 GB memory and fast array, 800+ MB/sGTX 670GTX 680GTX Titan

With your current disk setup, there is no sense in looking at anything more than a GTX 660 TI maximum. The K5000 does not perform better than any of the cards in this overview but costs up to 10 times more without any performance gain at all. It may come close to the performance of the 650 Ti  Boost, but does no better.

• 10. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
                          Accruing Level 1

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide on a Titan versus a K5000. I already have a GTX670 4GB that is great with Photoshop (in most cases). Although I'm only getting 1.25 frames per second on a lens correction filter on 1080 video correction. Bruttally slow.

I have an older i7 - 940 on a very good but older 58X PCI 2.0 MB. I try to compensate with an SSD, 48 GB of ram and ram drive (Primo) for data and swap disk and a large ram cache - (SuperSpeed). The RAM drive delivers 1.5GB per second throughput. On most everything except Adobe stuff the machine is quite fast.

However my 670 just sits there at 1-3% utilization on rare occation is might hit 11%. If I turn it off, my performance changes very little.

Most of the time the CPU runs at 20% utilization rates.

On some tasks like Adobe media encoder the CPU utilization rate is near 100% and all seems good except the GPU just sits there.

So back to the GPU. I'm not impressed with Adobe's utilization of GTX cards. I'm thinking that Adobe might actually make use of the K5000 and that would make it worth more than a high spec card that Adobe ignores.

I'm impressed with the specs of the Titan, but past experience with low GPU and CPU utilization rates, makes me wonder if it will make any difference to Adobe workflow.

I can add a I7 X990 or a Xeon 6 core and a fast GPU, but if Adobe ignores the resources, what is the point?

I figure I am missing an important bottleneck or detail somewhere and I could use some ideas from someone with more experience.

Thoughts?

• 11. Re: Nvidia GTX Titan or K5000 which is better price / value
                            Kranex1 Level 1

Well to add to what's already been mentioned, the difference between the Quadro cards and its GTX variant is in its accuracy. That's primarily what you're paying for with a pro card: Its unique drivers allow it to operate in ways customized specifically to the software. Something that the GTX cards cannot match.

For those that need 100% accuracy in their work (think medical imaging: "Is that a tumor or a render anomaly?"), only the Quadros will suffice. The Quadros also operate with greater thermal efficiency than the GTX.

If these needs are not top on your list, then there's no need to spend more for the Quadro.