Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing not working

Feb 07, 2007 Feb 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure ths is a dumb question and I'm going to kick myself when someone posts a simple explanation, but my project suddenly refuses to publish to my server. The primary layout is webhelp and I haven't changed anything in the publish dialogue (e.g.the server name is checked.). It generates without any problem, but nothing happens when I click 'Publish': no error message, nothing.

- John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2007 Feb 07, 2007
Trying amending the target to somewhere on your hard disk. That will tell you whether the problem is with RoboHelp (if that also fails) or is a network issue (if it publishes OK to your hard disk).

If it works locally but not on the network, next try another location on the network, same server, just another folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying amending the target to somewhere on your hard disk. That will tell you whether the problem is with RoboHelp (if that also fails) or is a network issue (if it publishes OK to your hard disk).

If it works locally but not on the network, next try another location on the network, same server, just another folder.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

In addition to my esteemed colleague's words of wisdom, it seems I recall a recent thread where it was discovered a file named "Thumbs.db" was among the mix and was the culprit. I'd also check the WebHelp output folder for the existence of these files (you may find one in each or several folders) and delete it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this situation I would test to see if the layout file is corrupted in some way.

If you are using the WebHelp default layout, create a new one under another name and see if the new one will publish.

If you're using a custom WebHelp layout, delete it in RH, close the project , make sure the corresponding *.ssl file is gone from the project folder, open the project, and create a new layout under a different name (just in case RH has saved the old name in some dark corner of the database).

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2007 Feb 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, Rick and Harvey. This time it turned out to be a server problem. I should have checked this first, but I had a similar problem a while ago, and Rick's advice about the offending 'thumbs.db' file was the solution at that time.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2007 Aug 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ah, the value of searching for an old thread! I am having the same problem, and this is helping. As a result of all the info here I've been able to narrow it down to what I think is a server problem. Crossing my fingers...

thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp