• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp10 Search Progress Bar

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded Robohelp9 WebHelp projects to Robohelp10  successfully but the Search % bar is not working when a search is requested. Can anyone offer a reason why or a fix for that?

Search Progress Bar.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

So does pull the search results for you or not?

I mean when you search 'cherry' does it give search results or it remains stuck at searching?

What Web Browser are you using? Can you check with IE once?

Also can you identify if it is happening to your upgraded project only or a new one as well?

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded to RoboHelp 10 and have discovered the same issue that the Search Progress bar does not work.

The actual search does work and results are shown, it is just the progress bar does not move nor does the percentage counter change from 0%.

I have tried this on both IE9 and Chrome browsers with the same results. I have also tried it with both upgraded projects and a new project, with no difference.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anjaneia,

The search works. But the bar does not show progress.  RH10 Running on IE7. We installed RH10 on a new machine.

I have not created any new projects to check this.  I was hoping there was a fix or something I am missiing.  The SEARCH PROGRESS BAR worked fine on all my RH9 Projects.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Please check by changing your SKIN in WebHelp to default or something else and verify if it still does not perform correctly.

Usually, the search is extremely fast on local machines and it fetches results almost instantaneously.

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anjaneai,

I have tried changing to the default skin and the problem still remains, the progress bar does not function. I am running this from a web server with a search response time of between 2 and 8 seconds.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not produce this using IE8 or Chrome. Does the same happen in the generated output as well as the published output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that everyone is on the same hymn sheet, can the posters please test using the supplied sample projects?

Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

1) The problem occurs on both the generated and published outputs.

2) I have tried both the EmployeeCare and Global Site Consult sample projects with the same results, the Search Progress bar does not function.

My former RH9 projects all function normally, the same projects converted to RH10 exhibit the problem on both IE9 and Chrome.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try one more thing if you haven't already. Try generating the output to a different location on a local drive (e.g. C:\WebHelp) and see if you get the same behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this, but no luck! It still doesn't work.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried a couple of projects with Rh10 and IE9.

Employee Care returned its results so fast I the progress bar was just a flash.

I then upgraded a 600+ topic project and just managed to catch the progress bar. It showed 0% and then immediately went to 100% as it showed the results.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I have been out of town and did not see all this activity. Nice to know others have this issue.

I tried changing the skin with the same result. I tried using the supplied project. Too small a project, the results were instant and progress bar was a flash. I tried generating to a new location. Same result.

My project is a merged WEBHELP with 23 child projects,  that was working fine in RH-5 through RH( for years. Installation of RH9 was on a "clean" hard drive. The issue is happening on both the hard drive version and the published format.

Is it my settings?  I believe the PARENT topic controls the child projects and here are my WEBHELP SETTINGS SEARCH choices:

WebHelpSearch.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the help on this. Here is a video of the progress bar in 'in'action! It's a nice fast search off my hard drive but slows a bit when published. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a big merge in Rh10 format to test. That could cause it to run slower but from your video I'm not sure anyone would spot the problem. However if the merge on the server is taking longer, they may notice it so you should report that as a bug.

Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Yes the parent should control it all but it wouldn't hurt to check all projects are the same.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Peter,

Thank you for looking.

Yeah...the search is fast. Maybe because not a lot of employees were on the network at that time or something.  But I have been getting people wondering why the progess bar is not showing progress.  And they start reclicking and they get annoyed. Probably because for years it HAS been working and everyone is used to seeing it working.

I haved checked all my child controls already.

I will post a bug on that link.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter,

My projects are mainly merged, but I have tested on a single project and the situation is the same. Due to certain security measures on our web server, the search can be quite slow and so the missing progress bar is very noticable and will be an issue to our customers. I will also raise a bug report.

Cheers,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have raised a bug report for this issue, but it has become a real problem. I am having to roll back my projects to RoboHelp 9 where possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress on this issue? I've been having the same problem since I upgraded from RH9 to RH10. I too have a parent project with 20+ merged child projects. The search eventually completes but the progress bar does not move, which causes users to click Go again, which then displays an error message: "Error: Failed to load xml file".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have not seen any response from Adobe. I am now evaluating other products such as MadCap Flare in order to overcome this issue and bring about other search improvements such as searching by topic 'category'. I am also looking at ZoomSearch.

Please raise a bug report with Adobe if this issue is affecting you.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is also affecting us. We have 25+ child projects and I kept wondering why I was seeing that "Error: Failed to load xml file" error. I didn't realize it was occurring because i had clicked  Go more than once while waiting for the search bar to show progress. I just submitted a bug report to Adobe--maybe if we all report the same bug, they'll get around to fixing it sooner than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates from anyone? I finally received a patch from Adobe and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen any response from Adobe. I am now using ZoomSearch for my main projects and my older projects I am leaving on RoboHelp 9. I do have one small project using RoboHelp 10 search which since the recent patch seems to have a new bug that if you input 'test' into the search box the whole WebHelp system freezes??

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried on a fully patched Rh10 installation and used the term "test". Worked just fine.

First of all are you using IE10 and if so have you applied the IE10 fix? See Snippets on my site.

Second, is this one of your merged setups? If so, have you seen the revised instructions covering changing from a metatag redirect to a javascript redirect, also a tweak to one of the Rh wh* files.

Finally try downloading the demo from my site and see if that works on your setup.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not having the same issue.

Browsers: Google Chrome 26.0.1410.64, IE8, and Firefox 14.0.1.

My online help master project contains 50+ merged projects. 

Can you please send me a link to the instructions on changing a metatag redirect to a javascript redirect and tweaking the RH wh* files?

Also, can you send me a link to where I can download your demo project? However, I'm thinking that this issue has a lot to do with the amount of merged projects and content that is in our online help. Our search normally takes a couple minutes to run, which is why the progress bar is so important to us. Our users are abandoning the search and reporting issues with the OLH because the bar is stuck at 0% and does not show that the process is actually working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp