2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 5:44 AM by bevans9908

Video won't play in IE10 or Safari 5.1.7; plays fine in Chrome and Firefox

bevans9908 Level 1

I'm trying to embed a video into my project and although the initial setup was simple, getting it to play in all browsers is proving to be very difficult. I've read more articles and forum threads than I care to recall, but just can't seem to find the right combination. Safari wil play audio only and IE10 gives me "Error: Unsupported video type or invalid file path".

I've contacted my host provider to ensure that the server is compatible with all video formatts and I've had other people from different locations try to play the video with slightly varied results, but ultimately the video doesn't play for them either. Here is the code I'm using:

I started with this code that I picked up from an online tutorial:

var vid = sym.$("Holder");

vid.html('<video width= "838" height="609" src = "video/tester.mp4" poster = "video/DFC5.jpg" type = "video/mp4" controls ="controls" </video>');

I eventually moved to this in order to attempt to accommodate multiple video formats/browsers:

var vid = sym.$("Holder");

vid.html("<video width='838' height='609' preload='auto' poster = 'video/DFC5.jpg' controls ='controls'>" +

"<source src='video/tester.mkv' type='video/mkv' />" +

"<source src='video/tester.mov' type='video/mov' />" +

"<source src='video/tester.mpg' type='video/mpg' />" +

"<source src='video/tester.webm' type='video/webm' />" +

"<source src='video/tester.mp4' type='video/mp4' />" +

"<source src='video/tester.avi' type='video/avi' />" +

"<source src='video/tester.wmv' type='video/wmv' />" +

"<source src='video/tester.ogv' type='video/ogg' />" +

I am really stumped here and would appreciate any help. Even if it's just pointing me to another article or tutorial. Thanks.