• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader 10.1 "Failed to load an application resource"

Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I upgraded from Reader X (10) to 10.1. Since then every time I start it, whether as a standalone or plug-in, I get one or more instances of an error message which says "There was an error during initialization. Failed to load an application resource (internal error)." I also note that there is no plug-ins menu.

This is getting annoying, to say the least. I am running Windows Vista SP2. Googling produced nothing relevant.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Luke

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Hi

Sorry for the slight delay; I only use these forums occasionally and misplaced my login details.

I fixed mine! In Reader 9 and 10.0 I had disabled the ReadOutLoud feature as it kept popping up whenever it felt like it, and I don't need ReadOutLoud. What worked for me was first to purge the system of Reader 9 - the uninstall routine leaves stuff behind. Then I went into the Reader 10 program folder, located the plug_ins sub folder, and renamed it to oldplug_ins. Then I ran the repair routine whi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, should also have said that have tried repairing, reinstalling without removing and reinstalling after removing all without success. However, if I remove and downgrade to Reader 9, that works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you do the repair; from Add/Remove Programs, or from the Help menu in Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Both. In Vista Add/Remove Programs gives a "Change" rather than a repair option but it runs the repair either way, says everything is ok, but it isn't.

Screenshots below

Luke

Adobe-Reader-1.pngAdobe-Reader-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem in windows 7.  I have also tried the same solutions like uninstalling the software completely and reinstalling from my original disk. It  appears that this problem has been out for almost two months.  I can't believe they have fixed it yet.  My solution is going to be moving to a non-Adobe program unless I see a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for the slight delay; I only use these forums occasionally and misplaced my login details.

I fixed mine! In Reader 9 and 10.0 I had disabled the ReadOutLoud feature as it kept popping up whenever it felt like it, and I don't need ReadOutLoud. What worked for me was first to purge the system of Reader 9 - the uninstall routine leaves stuff behind. Then I went into the Reader 10 program folder, located the plug_ins sub folder, and renamed it to oldplug_ins. Then I ran the repair routine which recreated the plug_ins subfoler.. All now works, except that the <expletive deleted> ReadOutLoud is up to its old tricks again, but I can live with that for now.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2011 Sep 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. I had forgotten that I had disabled the ReadOutLoud feature which I will just have to accept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future readers:

Move the Accessibility.api and ReadOutLoud.api plugins to a folder outside of : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader\plug_ins folder.

For example create a folder called old_plugins at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader and dump them in there.

Voila, no more pesky prompt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

None of the solutions listed above were successful. Located the 'plug_ins' folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader. Deleting or renaming the 'plug_ins' folder resolves the issue.

-P.S. Repairing the program rebuilds the 'plug_ins' folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines