Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy a clip from one project to another

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I want to use a clip that I have modifyed to another new project. I tried with copy/past, but they are not transfered to the new project.

Thanks anticipated

Roberto

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roberto

As I recall you are working with Premiere Elements 10 Windows. Is that correct? If so, you have at least two choices:

a. Export the clip to a file (type, appropriate for your projects) saved to the computer hard drive and then import that file into the second project.

or

b. Use the program ClipMate.

http://www.thornsoft.com/clipmate7.htm

Here is the story with ClipMate. It will work great with your Premiere Elements 10 Windows for the copy/paste transfer between projects. It also works great with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and 9. There is a problem of the copy/paste transfers of transitions when one goes to use it in Premiere Elements 11 and problem of the copy/paste transfers of audio and transitions for versions earlier than Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

I can post a very detailed how to for the use of ClipMate for your Premiere Elements 10 projects if you request it.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ATR...

Yes I have PE 10.0 but also PE 11.0 This project has been done with PE 11.0

Yes I tried opcion "a" but I like the "b"

I want to use ClipMate and I don´t care audio, so I can delete it. In this case could work ClipMate? What you think?

Regards

Roberto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what you're trying to do, Clip Mate is the perfect solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ruiz525

Thanks for the follow up.

Do you want me to round up and post the step by step for ClipMate and Premiere Elements 11? Even with the same ClipMate version, some steps are a little different than those if you were using ClipMate with earlier versions of Premiere Elements 11.

Just let me know if you need the detailed steps of what worked for me with regard to ClipMate and Copy/Paste between Premiere Elements 11 projects.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you can, yes!

Based on this I could decide if this is what I want and could buy the app since I could do it in several ways.

Look this little example of what I want:

I did this aerial video that consists of 4 clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6c4fmp4lks

(since the original clips have the RC proppeller sound, I don´t care)

I want to use for example the clip that shows the zoom test and post it in another project.

Regards

Roberto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roberto

I will try to have the write up posted before the end of today.

How many tracks are involved in section of the Timeline that you want for this ClipMate copy/paste into another project? Does the second project have the same project settings as the first?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great

Only one at a time or maybe 4.

Not always the second project has the same settings...

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ruiz525

My write up on the use of ClipMate for copy/paste insert from one Premiere Elements project to another is written up. And, it seemed too long to post in your thread. Because of its length, I have posted it to my Premiere Elements blog. I entered there just now. It is titled "PE: Clip Mate Copy/Paste Between Projects"

http://atr935.blogspot.com/

If you need any clarification on anything that I have written, please do not hesitate to ask.

You should get good results with Premiere Elements 10, 9.0/9.0.1, and 8.0/8.0.1 using the How To. The How To will also be good for Premiere Elements 11 if transitions are not involved in the copy/paste insert between the two Premiere Elements projects.

a. It seems to work for multi tracks and going from one project to another even if the project presets are different (but I do not see it doing any resizing in the process)

b. Special considerations need to be given to the process when the content from the Narration Track and Soundtrack are involved. They copy/paste insert great, but they will not paste insert into the Narration Track or Soundtrack of the second project. They end up going to one of the upper audio tracks. That is OK unless there is other content that is there competing for the location.

Please let us know if ClipMate worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to do the same thing but the clipmate sounds too confusing.  Can you explain how to export a clip? I am using Adobe PE 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DeJacqueline

Hopefully Ann Bens and Hunt will see your post and advise you as to their recommendation on a source for the Lagarith Codec to be used for the export that they suggest. According to their scheme, you need to download and install the Lagrith Codec so that it is available in Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets: = Microsoft AVI, Then See Advanced Button/Video Tab. Please refer to Ann Bens screenshot of her Export Settings dialog for her export in post #14 of this thread. Note that it has PAL settings. So, if you are working in NTSC, then adjust your settings accordingly for frame rate and any other project settings that would be appropriate to your rather than her project.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comming back from hospital and returning to work.Sorry if I didn´t respond back on time.

ATR

Thanks for the time spent writting at your blog. Super detailed analysis.

Then I tried Ann/Hunt sugestion:

ANN HUNT

I installed as per screen shot and doing the Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets: = Microsoft AVI, Then See Advanced Button/Video Tab

This last option worked preaty good. This is the one I am using.

COMMENT FOR NEW USERS LIKE ME: Before you "Publish+Share", you need to split/cut from the current project those parts you don´t want, so just leave the part that is going to be pasted in the new project.

Well guys, one again THANKS FOR THE HELP RECEIVED AND SORRY FOR THE LATE RESPOND.

Roberto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roberto

Hope you are having a speedy recovery. Do not overdo it at home or at work.

Thanks for looking at all the possibilities for what you want to do for your Premiere Elements projects and especially for your first hand observations that you are sharing with all.

Regarding what you wrote:

COMMENT FOR NEW USERS LIKE ME: Before you "Publish+Share", you need to split/cut from the current project those parts you don´t want, so just leave the part that is going to be pasted in the new project.

One can selectively export a Timeline segment by positioning the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar so that they just span the segment that you want to export. But the detail to get this to work is in the export settings...put a check mark next to the option "Share Work Area Bar Only" in the export area before you hit Save.

Best wishes,

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect I will tray,and thanks for your wishes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do this on a Mac?

I too have a few different projects that I want to combine, I didnt realise I couldnt cut and paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes use QT with the animation codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens

Could you mention the advantage of using the animation codec for the .mov file versus H.264.mov in this question involving Premiere Elements 11 Mac/Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime?

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens

do you mean the following:

Quicktime, HD 1080i 25, h.264, aac 48hz

This is the only hd option under Quicktime

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fishalot

Ann Bens should be along shortly. Until she returns here is something for you to check out.

Can we assume that you are working in PAL setup?  Since I do not know what version of Premiere Elements that you are using, I will assume version 11 and offer the following Premiere Elements 11 Windows screenshot (I do not have a Mac)...So I will start with the route at the QuickTime point..

Click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset that you select. You can change the preset description under the Advanced Button. Under the Video Tab you can set for the Animation Codec (or others, have had suggested H.264) and select your other export settings (such as frame size, etc.) 

movexport.jpg

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fishalot

The ClipMate program that I had described is a Windows Only program and does work in Windows except for the copy/paste insert related to transitions.

Hunt, Ann Bens, others seem to prefer exporting the Timeline as a file (in Windows environment) from one project to another. The file they suggest is Lagarith.avi.

Since you are working in a Mac computer environment, I would suggest a H.264.mov file for this purpose. But, you realize that with this approach you are dealing with a file from project to project and not with individual components of the Timeline from project to project. Perhaps Hunt and Ann Bens will have additional thoughts on that matter.

Back in 2009 elsewhere I was involved in a thread posted by a Premiere Element 9.0/9.0.1 Mac user who asked the copying/pasting between projects question. Not having a Mac computer, I have never tried what worked for him, but you may want to check it out even at this much later date.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67329

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATR,

When Exporting/Sharing/Publishing an intermediate file, I study what I have, and what I will later want to do. It can be a bit like peering into a "crystal ball," but I find two major considerations, that can direct me:

1. If I will want to additionally edit the intermediate file, I will edit very loosely in PrE, and maybe even place a bright green, or red Color Matte (about 01 sec/30 Frames) between the loosely edited Clips, so I can spot them easily, when Imported into a new Project, and just Cut them out, when I Trim those Clips. This gives me adequate Handles, for when I later add Transitions.
  2. Or, I edit the initial Project's Timeline very tightly, doing all Trimming, and adding any Transitions there. Then, I Import that intermediate of the tighly-edited Timeline into the New Project, to say add overlay Titles, or maybe a soundtrack.

Just the things that guide me, on making the decisions, before outputting the intermediate file.

For the Mac, two intermediate CODEC's, that get a lot of positive review are the ProRez 4.2.2, and AVID's DNxHD. The AVID CODEC will also work for a PC, if installed. Digital Intermediates (DI) are becoming more and more popular, as tapeless capture becomes the most viable means of recording.

Personally, Lagarith and UT files work so well, that I have not investigated other options that much.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt

Thanks for the reply. But that was not the nature of my inquiry directed to Ann Bens. I was not looking for generalizations in this instance.

I was curious as to her choice of Animation Codec rather than a H.264 Codec in this specific situation of Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime in this copying/pasting between two different Premiere Elements 11 projects on the Mac computer.

ATR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.

I did not pick up on the specificity of the question.

Personally, I deal with the Animation CODEC in MOV wrappers, very often, but in the other direction. I use several 3D artists for various parts of Projects. They are mostly on Mac's. I specify that their product come to me in MOV Animation, as those files are lovely, and always work on my PC's.

Since I am usually not outputting to a Mac (but receiving from a Mac), I have not explored the possible uses of H.264 vs MOV Animation - sorry.

Maybe Ann will drop by, and can share her expriences.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I finally did - delete all the clips that I did not want in my second movie.  Then I saved it as something else.  Not a very pretty way of doing it but I couldn't figure out anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ruiz525 wrote:

Hello

I want to use a clip that I have modifyed to another new project. I tried with copy/past, but they are not transfered to the new project.

Thanks anticipated

Roberto

Export the clip as an avi with no codec (uncompressed) or a lossless codec like Lagarith.

Then you can use the clip in any project you want and you do not need to keep the original project.

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines