Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Download File will not open - Multiple tries

New Here ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Folks,

I've searched this site high and low and haven't found a solution to my problem.

Trying to Download the newest version of Flash. My Vista(64bit) system shows it as a "File" that's 2,089KB in the downloads list.

If I click on the file as if to load/run it there is a prompt asking if I want to open this file type shows 

Name: "install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbp_chra_aih_exe" Publisher:"Adobe Sysytems Incorporated" Type:"unknown file type" in the message/prompt

When I click the Open Tab it directs to the Windows "Open With" screen asking which program I'd like to open the file with. Initially it showed Adobe Reader 9. something-or-other and when using it it would give an error that the file wasn't supported so I uninstalled all Adobe programs with the intention of trying to do a clean install of all my Adobe products. I'm getting stumped though on how to fix this. Youtube is broken and boredom and frusteration are creeping in.

Please help!

As I've said before, I've tried all the searches I can think of but haven't found the solution I need. Maybe I'm missing it but I've verified scripts are enabled in Explorer and tried searching the c:\Windows\sysWOW64 and there wasn't anything there - empty...

Thanks!

Jordan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VistaWhoas wrote:

Name: "install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbp_chra_aih_exe" Publisher:"Adobe Sysytems Incorporated" Type:"unknown file type"

That is very strange; it should be a period before the exe file type: install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbp_chra_aih.exe

Anyway, I suggest that you download and run the offline installer from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_hea... (under the heading Progess bar hangs...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the help. I tried the link as you suggested and still am getting the "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" prompt after dowloading the install_flashplayer_blah_blah-blah file theat's 2.03MB in size - there is no option in the list of programs that mentions any Adobe Program...Do I need to install some other prigram to open the adobe file? When I try Internet Explorer it doesn't work.

I'm totally stumped. All this started when I allowed a java update to install. Not sure what's going on.

Thanks for any further help.

Regards,

Jordan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VistaWhoas wrote:

the install_flashplayer_blah_blah-blah file ...

It's the "blah-blah" part that would be interesting to know.  It should have an .exe file extension.  Does it?  Or what does Windows Explorer say is the 'Type'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what's kind of confusing me too. From the looks of the file extension it looks like it says _exe not .exe. Also, I was able to re-load Adobe Reader9 back onto my desktop. But when I use it to open the file it errors out saying something to the fact that the link is corrupt or broken possibly becuase it was sent via e-mail -basically saying it can't confirm the link/source and just can't/won't open it. I'm wondering if there's a script I can run in the command line and get ti to run.? I've gone through your list of fixes regarding ActiveX Installs and enabling scripts  and tried repairing it from the actual Flash Player file - but the file is missing too...etc. etc. No go.

Thanks again for your help.

Jordan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am starting to suspect that you may have malware on your system; that is certainly not a normal behavior download and saving an '.exe' file as '_exe'.

I would suggest that you start with something like http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (free).  But then there is always a chance that you won't be able to download that either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmmm....as you suspected. It won't load any maleware detection programs. Thinking it's about time I nuke the OS on this laptop and start learning/running Ubuntu/Linux....

Jordan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines