Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import/Open SVG Files in Fireworks CS5!

New Here ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I really need to import/open SVG files in Fireworks CS5. I have been searching the Web for days now, but I can't find anything. The reason for this is that I get thousands of files sent to me in SVG format that I needto incorporate into my designs made in Fireworks. I solve it today by opening the files in Illustrator, copy each one of them, paste in Fireworks... WTF!

So please tell me someone made this easy for me?

Many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks doesn't have native support for SVG format. You can convert SVG files to PNG format with Fireworks. They will not be editable, however.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8616478_convert-svg-fireworks-png.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Linda: I couldn't get File > Open to work on an SVG file (in FW8 or CS5). I was suprised; I didn't realize that format was such a problem.

@Erik: My suggestion is to talk to the people sending you the files and to request an alternate format. Or charge them for the extra time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to use Inkscape to open and export as a png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. I didnt exatly find a solution, however here's the way i learnt to use .svg without losing editability in Fireworks.

1. Download Inkscape as suggested by Joyce Evans Erb. Here

2. Open the SVG file you need to work with in Inkscape.

3. Go to File > Save As and select .eps (Encapsulated PostScript)

4. Open the saved .eps file in Fireworks.

Now you might get a bit of unnecessary space around the file but it should work out just fine.

Also, if you havn't already go check out thenounproject.com . It's a great resource for us Fireworks types.

As a final note, i'd just like to plead with Adobe to put a bit more effort into Fireworks. It's a great program that i feel is being dragged along with the suite. (Hope to see some really awesome stuff in Fireworks CS6.5 *wink* )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so glad it helped and you found a way 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way that I have found is to open the SVG in Ai, then copy and paste into Fw - works like a dream

I would loe to see support for SVG in Fw...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can import SVG files directly into Fireworks using this extension: http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/SVG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines