• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book transfer issue with only difference being: Item Info/Viewing: any device OR any standalone devi

New Here ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use ADE to transfer from a PC (windows 7) to a Nook. I have had no problems until a recent book purchase. I can't transfer the book to the Nook [book title CE_COPY_NOT_ALLOWED - No permission to copy the book]. I have done all the authorization things that are always recommended [authorize PC, delete and authorize PC, delete Nook folders, reauthorize Nook, etc.] several times. All the old books will copy to the Nook fine. But the new one won't [I even purchased another one to verify and it would not]. I have 2 books (one will copy and one will not) from the same publisher (one I purchased a few months ago and the other is the new one). The only difference that I can see is that when you select the book, right click, look at Item Info, under viewing there are 2 different things. For the book that will copy, viewing: on any device. For the book that will not copy, viewing: on any standalone device]. It seems to be a DRM change. What can I do?

Thanks-*-Roy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

I haven't seen the  'viewing: on any standalone device' before.

One thing to try is to sidestep ADE, and to copy the DRM .epub file from PC to Nook using Windows Explorer or similar.

The book info in ADE will tell you where the file is on the PC.

Probably should go to the 'Digital Editions' folder on the Nook, but should be fairly easy to see where the .epub files go there. (***)

That copying will almost certainly work regardless of the 'viewing: on any standalone device' detail.

It may or may not be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen the  'viewing: on any standalone device' before.

One thing to try is to sidestep ADE, and to copy the DRM .epub file from PC to Nook using Windows Explorer or similar.

The book info in ADE will tell you where the file is on the PC.

Probably should go to the 'Digital Editions' folder on the Nook, but should be fairly easy to see where the .epub files go there. (***)

That copying will almost certainly work regardless of the 'viewing: on any standalone device' detail.

It may or may not be that the Nook will then be willing to show it once it is there.

(***) p.s. Just noticed that you can find where books are placed on the Nook from book info in ADE as well.

Just look at your Nook library from within ADE and look at the info.

At least, that will work for books that made it to the Nook; so tell you the right directory there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Just copied the book to the Nook Digital Editions folder and the Nook found it and it looks readable and all.

Thanks very much for the help...and for making me look not so smart.

But I am still curious about why it happened in the first place AND why the direct copy method worked. I thought you used ADE to handle DRM epub files and without it you could not get them to the Nook.

Thanks-*-Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process of getting a DRM .epub file is (1) to download the .acsm file which is a sort of reference to the real data file, and (2) to use the .acsm file to download a DRM .epub file. 

Step 2 looks at the currently registered Adobe ID, and downloads a .epub file that is encrypted so that it can only be read on devices with that ID.  Step (2) is often driven by ADE, but can be done by various other software; for example the Bluefire tablet app can do it..  The important thing is the result: a DRM .epub file encrypted for use with the AdobeID.

Once you have that file, it should be able to be read on any device registered with the ID.

When you use ADE to register the device, it copies the AdobeID registered to ADE as the AdobeID for the device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the explanation...I am smart enough to understand it and it gives me help in future troubleshooting and options.

Thanks-*-Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines