• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

account digital editions lost on new laptop?

New Here ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an digital editions account on my old laptop and had books stored on it. The laptop scashed. My new laptop dowloads a new version of digital editions. It automaticly registers the laptop and I can't sign in with my account name and password. How can I get to my own account on my new laptop? Digital editions claimes that I can read my boods stored on digital editions on any computer. But it does not function.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Digital Editions forum.

Maread01 do you receive a specific error message when you try to sign in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I do not get any error message. I get automaticly a englisch version of digital editions, completely empty and new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try explicitly unregistering first.  ADE registration often gets itself into a mess, especially the very unreliable ADE2.0.

Use ctrl-shift-D while running ADE (cmd-shift-D on a Mac).

Restart ADE.

And try again to register with your original ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sjpt,

I run windows 8. I tryed ctrl-shift-D while running ADE, but nothing happened.

I removed ADE several times in configuration programs and downloaded it again, but al the times it automaticly started the englisch version, automaticly authorised my new laptop in a new and empty version of ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maread01 it sounds like you may already be authorized within Adobe Digital Editions.  Can you please go to to the Help menu in Adobe Digital Editions and check if you have an option for Authorization Information.  If you do then this would indicate that Adobe Digital Editions is already authorized.

If this it the case then you will likely need to transfer over any purchased content from your old computer to your new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Yes, my laptop is authorised so it says.  But I do not have acces to my old account. I have a empty account in an englisch version. My old account was a dutch version. My old laptop is broke and I have no acces to it anymore.

Adobe digital editions claims that I have acces to my books from any computer. But my new laptop has no acces to my old account.

My oldest son said he had the same problem when he started using his new laptop. He also has no acces to his old account and his books.

We find it very frustrating and started to buy paper books again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maread01 your purchased content is still going to be contained on your old computer.  The content is stored in the C:\Users\<UserName>\My Documents\My Digital Editions folder.

If you no longer have access the My Digital Editions folder on your old computer then please contact your E-Book provider to obtain a new copy of your purchased content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Do I understand it right that I only have acces to my books from my old laptop?

Then the information from ADE that I always have acces to my books from any computer is not right. I am very disapointed.

I will try to contact my E-books provider if I have found the information about the purchase.

Is it possibe to change the englisch version into a dutch version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes maread01 the files will be contained on your old laptop in the location indicated in message #7.  As Sjpt your content is all stored on your local computer.  If you made a backup of your documents folder though then you should still have access to your purchased content within your backup.

The user interface for Adobe Digital Editions is determined by your computers Region and Language Control Panel.  Please make sure the language is set for Dutch and the user interface should be adjusted.

The user interface though does not influence the language of the content viewable within Adobe Digital Editions.  If your content is in Dutch then it will be display in Dutch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maread01.  Are you thinking that Adobe stores all your books somewhere in it's cloud, and expecting that when you register a new machine it will automatically access your books?

Many services work like that, but the Adobe DRM system does not.    All the correct AdobeID does to to make sure that if you have a copy of a book registered to that ID, you can read the copy.  It is your responsibility to keep a safe copy somewhere. 

If you can get the old files off the broken comupter, you will be able to read them on the new computer registered with the same ID.  As Jeff says, if you don't have such a copy, the only thing you can do is to try to persuade the original seller to let you download again.  Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines