• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop pen tool stroke/fill function doesn't work

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I draw a line with the pen tool, right click and then 'stroke' the pen line with a brush (for example). I imagine I've done this sucessfully thousands of times but for some reason it just isn't working today (or yesterday actually!). When I right click then go down to 'stroke' nothing happens at all.

However it does work if I go into the 'paths' palette, right click on 'work path' and stroke the pen line with the brush.

I have no idea what's happened. 'elp!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

I know this was a year ago but I've been searching these forums for a solution. I'm in CS6 on the same operating system and everything. This issue has happened several time and I don't know if there's a fix as of yet. I think you mentioned earlier that if you go to the work path and right click on the path and select "Stroke" the dialogue box finally pops up. I was wondering if you found a solution in the half a year or so since you posted this question.

Also, pressing 'Q' on your keyboard puts y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and operating system?

Is the stroke path option geyed out when right clicking on the path in the document window?

If your on cs6 make sure your not in the quickmask mode.

(even though it should work, even in quickmask, in cs6 there seems to be a glitch still present on 13.01 on windows)

Could you post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 in Windows 7 64 bit.

The stroke option isn't greyed out. When I click the option nothing happens at all. I don't even get the choice of choosing between 'eraser', 'brush' etc.

How would I know if I'm in quickmask mode?

I'll post a screenshot if that ^ makes no sense.

* my brush setting is normal - but then I don't even get that far...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this was a year ago but I've been searching these forums for a solution. I'm in CS6 on the same operating system and everything. This issue has happened several time and I don't know if there's a fix as of yet. I think you mentioned earlier that if you go to the work path and right click on the path and select "Stroke" the dialogue box finally pops up. I was wondering if you found a solution in the half a year or so since you posted this question.

Also, pressing 'Q' on your keyboard puts you in Quickmask mode (not sure if you still need this information but posting it anyways). It will display Quick Mask in the title and if you look at the toolbar on the very bottom, the Quick Mask button will be engaged.

quickmask.jpg

But yeah, if you found a way to fix the Stroke + Pen Tool issue, I'd love to know. If not, sorry for bumping an old thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know... I cannot rememeber how I got it working, sorry. I may have reinstalled my Creative Suite or something.

Although it now works (doing the stroke function the normal way) I have the stroke function bound to an action key - could that possibly work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ eli.esque

Omgs omgs omgs!! This totally solved the problem I've been having for the past few days!! I was about to bang my monitor in frustration. ehehehe You saved me and my monitor. xD Thank you!!

[5 minutes later....]

Wait, it's back again. =_= Oh well, at least I can now stroke it from the paths palate. *w*

[After restarting Photoshop]

Heh?? It's working again. O_O;; What's wrong with CS6 under Windows 8 x64... xD;;

I think I accidentally hit the Q key while switching among the tools the other day. I had no idea I've been in quick mask mode this whole time. * A*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Brush settings.  Did you leave it set to a very low flow or opacity?  Or a Blend Mode other than Normal?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I ran into this problem, I went to several forums for the answer. Weirdly enough, I found the answer while watching a tutorial on YouTube.In advance, I apologize if this doesn't help you. However, what fixed the problem for me was putting the pen path on its own layer. For some reason it doesn't have a fill or stroke option if there is text or anything else on that layer.

Hope I helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nicole+English+Designs  wrote

When I ran into this problem, I went to several forums for the answer. Weirdly enough, I found the answer while watching a tutorial on YouTube.In advance, I apologize if this doesn't help you. However, what fixed the problem for me was putting the pen path on its own layer. For some reason it doesn't have a fill or stroke option if there is text or anything else on that layer.

Hope I helped.

Hi Nicole, and thanks for your input.  A great deal has changed since this thread was last active before your post.  We can now change both the colour and thickness of workpaths in CC2018.  When you mentioned placing a path in its own layer, did you mean work path in the Paths panel?  Paths are not linked to normal layers of course. 

We can Escape to end a path, and if the same path is selected, carry on adding more points to same path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines