• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toc will not synchronise in large files

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2006 Oct 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Webhelp, the TOC fails to synchronise on the web when there are too many topics. It displays the correct page but the TOC does not update.
If i delete topics out it works. If the file is to big, it says "Loading files - click to cancel" when a book is opened towards the end of the file. I presume in this instance that all the files are not initially loaded in for some reason so the TOC cannot synronise?
Are there limits in Webhelp or could this be something to do with the browser?
Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

I think what you are describing is what is covered by Snippet 49 on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gc31 and I too welcome you to our community

If you could try the following and report back as to whether this works, I'd appreciate it.

When generating WebHelp by double-clicking the layout, if you click the Next > button twice, you should see the Navigation Pane format and Optimize Speed options. I believe that if you change from Web Site (the default setting) to Local PC, the synchronization begins working, as all the navigation is stored in a single file and not hundreds or even thousands of smaller files.

Please give that a try and report back if it helps. I'm trying to confirm if it is a solution for this issue.

Cheers... Rick :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - that makes sense because with large projects it doesnt seem to be able to load in all the required files - i will give this a go on monday and let you know. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes - it seems to be a problem similar to this. I will give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2006 Oct 23, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

You suggestion of using the Local PC option has fixed the TOC problem for large files - thanks alot.
One final question - i am confused as to why you would use the "Web Site (the default setting)" option? - what are the benefits of using this?

Peter - i didn't get to try your method as the suggestion by Rick worked for me. Thanks for directing me to your website though - it has been most useful.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2006 Oct 23, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was for a different problem so if Rick's solution worked, then I had inferred the wrong problem from your post.

You might also like to look at Rick's site and download some of his files. They contain a LOT of information.

http://www.robowizard.com

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2006 Oct 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I used snippet #49 to (partially) fix my toc problem. Now if you navigate topics in a long list and click the topic, the topic is "anchored" and highlighted.

The problem is still the same though (topic highlighted, but not shown) if I click a link in a topic. The new topic is still highlighted, but the toc does not jump to the file and show it anchored.

Do you (or the person who found this fix) have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2006 Oct 30, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I had no idea this was due to the enormity of my help system, but this fixed my problem with the TOC not syncing. Thanks for that. I was really sweating bullets!

Anything I should keep an eye out for as a result of changing this setting? My users should be on pretty fast internet connection, so if that's all it is, I think we'll be okay.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2007 Feb 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am working with WebHelp, RH5, and Context-sensitive help. I cannot get the TOC to sync for some of the calls. I tried using the Local PC option, but it still does not work. My project is not large- it is under 400 topics.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think 400 topics is big for what we're talking about here. My only solution was to remove links from any books in the TOC. Not ideal at all. Not sure if this is fixed in the new version of RH. I would certainly hope so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure Donna is talking about the same issue that started this thread. That was about when a topic is in a long list of topics in a TOC and whilst the item is highlighted, it does not show on the screen, the user has to scroll down to find that it is highlighted. That was not a RH issue and the problem does not arise with IE7.

I think Donna is talking about when a topic is called as CSH and it just does not synchronise at all. If that is correct, see Step 8 of my topic about merged webhelp, perhaps that will help.

If this doesn't help Donna , then please clarify for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize; I posted this to the wrong thread. You are correct. The issue I am referring to is a TOC that will not display the page that is accessed through context sensitive help. The CSH works fine, but the TOC remains closed. Oddly enough about 1/3 of the project works correctly. I tried changing the option to Intranet as opposed to Internet on the project properties- still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So have you look at Step 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited the whthost.js file. I will need to wait until the developer moves the file into the test environment to see if it works with the CSH.

I will let you know.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2007 Feb 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Modifying the whthost.js. worked fine. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp