• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very interested and impressed with BC, but still a bit skeptical…

Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working for others for several years, I am trying to figure out how in the world I could make money selling website design on my own with Business Catalyst. 

The crux of this is, I know how to create, but I don't know how to sell what I create.  Forgive me, but as cool as BC appears, I still don't see how I could really make a living with it.

Here are several questions I have (grouped in paragraphs), and any insight or advice would be very much appreciated:

With the seemingly ubiquitous availability of free do-it-yourself websites (Google Sites for example), a proliferation of many existing web design companies and individuals, and prepackaged, but customer-managed, e-commerce sites, what are the chances of me actually making a living doing BC sites, and what is a good focus for doing so?  (I would think it is e-commerce)

How can I make money on top of the hosting, besides the 20%?

I don't know what to charge for -- is there help or guidance for setting a pricing structure?

How about marketing guidance?

How much of a site's content is managed by me and how much by my client, and how do I keep from painting myself into a corner by offering something that I don't have time to deliver?

Am I correct in saying that there are no free temporary e-commerce sites?

Does that mean I must pay at least $33.05 per month for each e-commerce site while I am building it, even when I can't charge for it?

Does the premium partner plan (which I would purchase if I chose a partner plan) allow temp sites to have my own domain (customersite.mybcwebdesigncompany.com) instead of customersite.businesscatalyst.com?

For e-commerce sites, can I add and/or customize database fields for catalogs, products, customers etc.?

How would I offer or provide training and support to my web clients?

Thanks so much

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Go through the BC blog, you can see heaps of posts about webinars coming up from BC partners, Adobe Max videos, information about BC partner related content and more.

Just go through that and there is a lot there to answer your questions.

In terms of BC functionality - trial it, you dont know if it is right for you until you try it.

Things like custom database fields for catalogs and products - no, CRM (customers) - yes.

In terms of building when you select a site to be webCommerce then the trial pe

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go through the BC blog, you can see heaps of posts about webinars coming up from BC partners, Adobe Max videos, information about BC partner related content and more.

Just go through that and there is a lot there to answer your questions.

In terms of BC functionality - trial it, you dont know if it is right for you until you try it.

Things like custom database fields for catalogs and products - no, CRM (customers) - yes.

In terms of building when you select a site to be webCommerce then the trial period is free as you develop the site until you take it live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Liam,

Thanks very much for the tip on database fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines