Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update text inset on master page

Participant ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(FM10 on Win7)

A test inset is on a master page. Settings include Automatic Update.

With View > Body pages and with View > Master pages, the following command does not update the inset: Edit > Update References > Text Insets Marked for Automatic Update.

So far, the only way I see to update the inset is to select it, Text inset Properties > Update.

I must be missing something obvious. With the text frame?

What do I need to do (or not do) so the inset updates through Edit > Update References > Text Insets Marked for Automatic Update?

Bonus: What do I need to do to make that text inset update-able with Body Pages visible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the text frame type that you have the inset in - background or regular flow? If it's in the flow text frame, then that content will never appear on the Body pages anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis,

It's a background text frame.

Best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the text inset update when you close and open the file into which the inset is placed? If so, then it is working properly. By default FM only updates an inset marked for automatic updating when the insets internal timestamp is different from the inset file's timestamp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis,

Good question.

Unfortunately for this thread, I switched to a variable-based strategy for the content, so I no longer have that file to test.

I originally thought that a user variable would not have enough text capacity for the content, but that capacity is adequate.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, user variables have been silently upped in capacity to over 1000 characters. You can go higher via MIF, but if you ever edit or look at the variable through the FM GUI it gets truncated back to the default size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh, good insight. I'm pretty sure I'll use it someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines