Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 10 - error msg - " ... trying to save data to root.fpj"

Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 10 to create WebHelp.  I keep all the files on my local hard drive. There's a file repository at our SharePoint site and a process that checks out all of the files when I start RoboHelp and, when I close the project, the process saves all changed files back to SharePoint.

I started a project this week updating existing WebHelp; my co-worker told me to go to SharePoint and copy the foo.xpj and foo.hhc files from SharePoint to a folder on my local hard drive. I did this and I was told to double-click the xpj file to start RH.  All of the other files downloaded from SharePoint to my local drive. I did some work and closed the project.  The files that I changed were saved back to SharePoint. Then, when I started RH again, I got this error msg immediately after I clicked on the project link under Recent Projects:

"An error occurred while trying to save data to <C:\foo\foohelp\root.fpj> <5>."

I click OK and all the files download successfully from the SharePoint repository and RH displays the project. My co-worker and I are confused by the error msg.  Why is RH trying to save data to root.fpj at the beginning of the RH start-up process?

TIA for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I right in understanding your are trying to start a new project just by taking the XPJ and HHP files from an existing project? That's not a method I have seen suggested before and I wouldn't expect it to work.

I'm not clear as to the logic of doing it this way.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter.  My co-worker told me to set up a project on my local drive by copying those two files from our SharePoint version control location. After I create a local directory like C:/help/foo_project/ and put the foo.xpj and foo.hcc in there, I double-click foo.xpj and then, all of the files and folders are copied from version control to my local directory. So far, this method has worked for the first 10 projects that I and another author have started.

I would very much appreciate knowing about a better method for setting up an existing project on a local drive from version control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The root.fpj file is the main file that holds which folders and html files are part of the project. The error message probably tells you that the root.fpj file is read only.

From what you’re describing, I gather that you’re using SharePoint not through the RoboHelp version control system, but by downloading the contents, right?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, William - I know we use Sharepoint as our version control repository but I am not familiar with the RoboHelp version control system. When I start my work day, I start RH and select my project. Then, I get a msg box about logging into the version control system.

connection_details.PNG

I click OK and get a message asking if I want to download the latest version of all the project files. Again, I click OK and then, after a short wait while files download, my RH workspace appears.

Am I describing the RH version control system or something else? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp