• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing *.html files

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2007 Feb 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the main project is working and printing perfectly. However Management in their wisdom have requested another version.
This project will be nearly exactly the same as the original, but is missing some of the "chapters".
So what works perfectly is to create a new project, and on a within a new TOPIC create an external link to the original - so that as the original is changed the revised version obviously displayed in the other modified project - as does all the related links.
However it does does a problem as the link is defined as, for example:
C:\my_project\folder_name\Department_Manual.htm
But - you do get a problem where it's referred back to the C:\ path, thus causing problems when the project is transferred to the server.
Anyone got an idea how to get around this situation?
thanks
Al

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2007 Feb 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only management requirement is that some of the topics in the project are not required in the new project? If so why not just exclude them those topics using build tags?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2007 Apr 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This is odd -
I've created a conditional build-tag called FINANCE, and one called EVERYTHING ELSE. So I've assigned FINANCE to just that Dept, and all others get the EVERYTHING ELSE tag.
No when I compile it using the criteria, it does work perfectly - with one exception. The resulting build gives me the Finance Dept, but also one of the other depts - it's always the same one....'Food and Beverage' which of course falls under the 'EVERYTHING ELSE' tag.
I cleared all the Conditional Build tags before doing the above, and saved the project before going any further.
This only happens for the web based version, generating *.DOC, *.PDF using the same tags does not exhibit this problem...
Now I'm confused......
Any ideas folks??
Thanks
Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 12, 2007 Feb 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you establish whether these projects will always be loaded into the same directory structure? If you can, you could make the link(s) relative, not absolute, just as you would when linking between folders in a single project, or linking between projects in a merged project.

For example:

A link from: C:\my_project\folder_name\Department_Manual.htm
to: C:\my_project\otherfolder_name\Company_Manual.htm
would be: href="../otherfoldername/Company_Manual.htm"

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2007 Feb 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon,
I'll try your idea too. I'm currently working on a copy of the current file to try these ideas- currently I'm using Peter's, but I now can see where I was going wrong with my linking syntax!
Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp