Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with ADE 2.0 to renew a loan

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The problem is this, please I need help (thanks in advance)

1. I borrowed an ebook "xxxxx" in my library and the ebook was successfully opened in ADE 2.0

2. By mistake I returned this ebook "xxxxx" to the library.

3. I try to renew the loan ebook "xxxxx" (available in the library) and ADE 2.0  opens properly and seems to download the ebook but when the download finishes appears an error indicating that the ebook "xxxxx" has been returned or expired

Why this error if I returned the ebook properly? Why the renewal of a returned ebook does not work?

Please I need help because I'd finished reading the ebook and now I can not.

thanks in advance,

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try making sure that you have removed all traces of the old ebook:

.acsm files (probably in your Downloads directory)

.epub files (probably in your Documents/My Digital Editions directory

deleted from Library in ADE

in extremis: edit it out of manifest.xml (probably  in your Documents/My Digital Editions directory)

~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0.  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thank you very much

I deleted acsm files and epub file as you have indicated. In the ADE library there are any ebook

I borrow the ebook again. The ebook is downloaded but when i try to open it the error that the item has been returned appears again

What would have to change the xml manifest to read the ebook?

Thank you very much,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer to your question below, but as you will see it is quite hairy if you are inexperienced.

Might be easier to install ADE 1.7.2.

1. Return the book.
  2. Make sure ADE NOT running.
  3. Find the mainifest.xml file.  Probably in the Documents/My Digital Editions directory, which is probably where you found and deleted the .epub file.
  4. Edit the file with any editor.  For example, Notepad, though that is rather awkward for this file.  If you have it, something like Notepad++.
  5. Find the <de:contentRecord> section relating to your book.  (details below *** for 4/5/6/7 with Notepad)
  6. Delete that section.
  7. Save the file.
  8. Run ADE and see if you can borrow the book ok now.

*** to edit with Notepad, steps 4/5/6/7

1. Make a safe copy in Explorer in case you mess the rest up.  Select mainfest.xml.  ctrl-C.  ctrl-V
  2. Right click on the file in Explorer
  3. Choose 'edit'
  4. In Notepad, make sure menu/Format/Word Wrap is ticked
  5. Search for the book title or author (ctrl-f for search)
  6. Now search backwards (tick UP in search bar) for 'de:cont' ~ the start of the area to delete
  7. Now search forwards (tick DOWN again) for 'de:cont' ~ the end of the area to delete
  8. That gives the two ends of the part you need to delete.
  9. Now use the mouse to highlight everything starting '<de:contentRecord>' and ending '</de:contentRecord>'; including both ends
  10. Hit the delete key
  11. And Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the effort sjpt,

I have done the first 2 steps

1. Return the book.

2. Make sure ADE NOT running.

But in the 3rd step not find the manifest.xml file, Not in Documents / My Digital Editions directory, here is a folder called manifest but is empty. I searched in my pc manifest.xml file but is not.

I checked the ADE 2.0 release notes and i saw in known bugs this:

When Adobe Digital Editions W_ADEPT_CORE_LOAN_NOT_ONRECORD returns an error message, it means no record for the book loan is found on this machine, que means you are most likely to attempting to open a book that was borrowed Previously expired or returned.

is it possible that my problem is a known bug in ADE 2.0 and Adobe may launch this product with mistakes like this. It is incredible!!!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I think maybe the manifest.xml is for 1.7.2.

In any case, try my alternative above of using 1.7.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A couple more comments that may help if you are still following.

I have been looking a bit more into it and see that ADE2.0 does not keep a single manifest.xml file (ADE1.7.2 does),

but rather keeps a set of .xml file in Documents\My Digital Editions\Manifest

That makes it easier to make sure ADE2.0 does not have any record of the loan previously,

by deleting any corresponding .xml files from that directory.

As your Manifest directory is empty, that does not appear to be the cause of your problem anyway.

You might find that you have multiple copies of the .acsm file as a result of multiple loans.

Make sure you are trying to use the correct (later) one to access the borrowed book.

~~~

I've also been reminded of a bug in ADE2.0, where it cannot handle Overdrive library books when certain eReaders are plugged in.

This includes Sony PRS-350, and some other eReaders.

The failures are most peculiar when there is such an eReader plugged in.

One is that if you try to open an Overdrive library book on ADE with the reader plugged in,

ADE comes up with the message 'No record for this loan is found on this computer'.

This is without trying to do anything to do with the eReader, just trying to open the book on the computer.

Though this does not seem to relate exactly to the problems with you see trying to access re-borrowed books,

it does confuse things and could be somehow related????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines