• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webcakes included in Adobe Flash Player

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started having unwanted popup links on my website and only on my PC (Windows7) and sometimes when I clicked on a legitimate link it took me to an unknown website. I figured I was infected with some sort of malware or adware although a scan turned up nothing. When searching what was recently downloaded Adobe Flash Player was one of the programs.  I uninstalled everything that I was not familiar with (leaving the Flash Player) but I still had the popups. I then uninstalled Adobe Flash Player and popups disappeared. I went to reinstall Flash Player and at one point during the download I got the box to accept or decline the terms and then noticed that if I accepted “Webcakes” would be installed. I declined and installation continued and after installation the popups were back. Uninstalled again, popups gone. Reinstalled popups back. Uninstalled, popups gone. I think you get the message. How can I correct this because my site pops up with a message bar saying that Flash Player is required for this site? This is only when I view my site in IE8.  If I view in Chrome everything is good and there are no popups.  When I tried to install Flash Player using Chrome it says that it is already there. If it already exists in Chrome why wouldn’t it also exist in IE? Don’t understand that either but then again I am not a computer guru.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jacquienmo,

Webcakes shouldn't be bundled with your flash player.  What probably happened is you were already infected with the malicious adware and it sent you a fake alert to update your flash player bundling the webcake malware to it.

You may want to try to remove it using the instructions here.  While you're at it you should completely remove the old flash player that had webcake bundled in and download the legitimat copy.  Follow the installation instructions here.

As for the behavior you're seeing with Chrome, it's expected. Google Chrome comes pre-packaged with it's own version of Flash Player plugin, completely separate from the Flash Player plugin used in IE/FireFox.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dandab, thanks for your reply but I had already did all those steps but I followed all your links anyway and redid it all as instructed and the popups returned.  I did find that I am actually running IE10 on this computer and I don't know if that makes any difference but I saw somewhere if you were running IE9 to uncheck active X filtering.  Mine was unchecked so I checked it and popups are gone and all is good in the universe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You probably got it from one of those fake Flash Player update sites, learn more http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2013/06/fake-flash-player-update-virus-removal.html

You should also scan your computer with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines