• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does 1 week label on book title icon, mean?

Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked out some e-books from my library and my account shows I have them for 2 weeks.  However, on my Adobe Digital Editions library, there is a 1 week label on my title icon.  Does this mean the book is only available for 1 week?  The reason I need to know is that I'm going on vacation and if I will need to renew in one week, I'll need to take my computer with me.  If I have them for 2 weeks as my library account shows, then I won't need to worry about carrying the computer on the plane, etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ask in the Adobe Digital Editions forum, and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE2.0 introduced several bugs and regressions.

One of these is that it quotes borrowing times above 1 week to the nearest week, rounded down.

Thus when the borrowing time is 1 week, 6 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes, it quotes 1 week.

Some eReaders are too stupid to keep track of date/time.  My old Bookeen Opus was like that.

This is very handy on holiday, as it means they can't expire library books when they should.

Instead, they expire the library books the next time the device is attached to ADE (for example to borrow more books).

If you have a more intelligent eReader, it can probably give you the correct expiry time once you have loaded the book onto it.

If you want to reassure yourself, you can open the .epub file as a zip file and look inside.

You will find a file called rights.xml (probably in directory META-INF).

Open that and you will find a field that says something like 

<until>2013-06-22T13:05:12Z</until>

(I don't think editing that field will extend the life of the load, though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!  I had looked at the file rights and it shows the proper date but I wasn't sure if there might be something else going on.  I'm not too tech savvy and I appreciate all the help I can get.  I've got a Kobe that's a few years old so the explanation makes perfect sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, that's a Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines