• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to adjust Printing margins

New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I reduce the white borders around my pictures when I print.  They used to be 1/8 of an inch, but are now larger.   I have not made any changes to print set-up. 

Message title was edited by: Brett N

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are selecting the correct size paper inside the Elements print dialog, also try to set the print size to match. When you select a paper size, this information comes from the printer. It provides the dimensions that are printable as well, which means that margins are built into the information handed to Elements. This is why it is important to select the correct size. Also, your printer driver possibly will allow you to customize the margins on the paper size, make sure this has not happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you  i have selected the correct paper size - 4 x 6.  i have not adjusted margins through the printer driver but nothing seems to make a difference.  in the advnaced printing options, i have unchecked borders.  again, nothing makes a difference.  any other thoughts.  thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Borders are not necessarily the same thing as margins. Generally, you'd be looking for a setting that says "Borderless". Often you will see two versions of a paper size, one that is borderless and the other that is not.

Elements has no control over the paper margins or borders, this is entirely controlled by the printer (as Elements cannot dictate the physical capabilities of the printer, some printers have to have margins because the printing head cannot reach all the way across the paper). There are no settings within Elements that you can choose (aside from the Paper Size, which is information provided by the printer driver) that will effect the apperance of margins.

I'm not familiar with your printer or its drivers and what the settings should look like to remove margins (assuming such a thing is possible, not all printers have this available).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greetings.  I selected a picture that had been printed in an older version of Photoshop elements which had a white border of 1/8 inch.  I reprinted it in Photo Elements 11; it came out with a border of 1/4 inch.  I then printed the picture again with picassa, not making any changes to the printer or any setting- and it came out with a border of 1/8 inch.  That seems to indicate that the problem is with the softwear, not the printer.

Any thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using teh same settings in the older version of Elements as in the newer? Can you post screen shots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good morning.  Yes, all settintgs are exactly the same, and they were the same when i printed in Picassa as well.  i will figure out how to post screen shots.  i assume that what you want to see are all the settings in print?  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, screen shots of your print dialog window, including the Color Management settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no settings in Color Management - it monitor related and left at

default.

Here are all relevant screen shots.

Harriet Tamen

Attorney-at-Law

212 East 39th St.

New York, NY 10016

Tel: 1 212 284 52 62

In a message dated 6/10/2013 9:33:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Re: Printing

created by Brett N (http://forums.adobe.com/people/Brett+N) in

Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/5396301#5396301)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not sure why I asked about your Color Management settings, I think I got this post confused with another. But your screen shots did not show up. You cannot reply to the email and attach images, these will not end up being posted. You have to come to the web site directly in order to post images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly question.  Are you using the same printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the same printer, and am using the same settings.  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, I'd like to see screen shots of the printer settings you are using, from both versions of Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread updated.

Please take a look.

Harriet Tamen

Attorney-at-Law

212 East 39th St.

New York, NY 10016

Tel: 1 212 284 52 62

In a message dated 6/13/2013 7:36:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Re: How to adjust Printing margins

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/5406650#5406650)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first screen shot, you can see a grey border around your image. This is the margin that is being applied, but this does not come from Elements itself (as you can see from its settings, it wants to print at 4x6). Why have you not selected the "Borderless" option from the third and fourth screen shots (counting Left to Right, Top to Bottom)? It is this option that gets rid of margins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I print borderless, the captions are messed up.  And I have no problem with the 1/8 inch border, which is what printed in the earlier version - and none of the settings have been changed.  As I indicated - when I print from Picassa, using exactly the same settings, I get a 1/8 inch border.  that is what I would like to have here.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andto further clarify, I do like the 1/8 inch border - but not the 1/4 inch border, anddon't know how to getit back.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm noticing something strange here. You don't have the Position options, they should appear in the bottom middle area, above the More Options button, below the Scale and Rotation options.

Either way, try chaning the setting in Step 5 to Custom, in the dialog that appears, select "Scale to Fit Media". The option to have a print size that is the same as the paper size without considering margins, could have something to do with what's going on.

Also, can you provide similar screen shots from the version of Photoshop Elements that IS working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the screenshots with my issues - 6 in totalscreen1.jpgscreen2.jpgscreen3.jpgscreen4.jpgscreen5.jpgscreen6.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you printing from the same computer? We have two different drivers at use in this scenario. For the older version of Elements, the name of the driver is "EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series", while the newer version is using "Epson Stylus Photo R200 (M)". When you view the Advanced settings of the Main tab, there are huge differeneces. The name of the paper being used between the two is different, this may seem innocuous, but there could be different settings between the two (including margin settigns). Looks like you are also using different color management settings between the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings. I am using a new computer for Photo Elements 11; my older

version - Photoshop 8 - was on a different computer. Also, I use premium glossy

paper. However, the printer is the same.

I think the differences are because Photo 8 is old, and Photo 11 is much

more advanced.

And as far as I can tell, the margin/border settings are identical. For

example, when I look at the Margins setting in page set up, they are the same.

Thanks.

Harriet Tamen

In a message dated 6/28/2013 6:41:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/5461090#5461090)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure there are two different drivers versions being used between the two computers and that is what is driving this. The best test to see if this issue is really coming from PSE11 is to install it on the same computer as PSE8 and test printing from there. I'm pretty sure you'll get expected results then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I cannot do that - not enough memory for Photo 11. Besides,

when I print on my old computer, using Photo 8 and attaching it to the "old"

Epson printer, the border is 1/8 inch. The same picture, using Photo 11

and the same printer is 1/4 inch border.

It seems to me that we are looking at things that I think are not relevant

such as color management or type of paper. We are forgetting the basic

question: how do I reduce the white borders from 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch?

Harriet Tamen

In a message dated 7/1/2013 12:49:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/5466821#5466821)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about the picture either, it's about the printer and the driver. The margins are entirely controlled by the printer driver. Color management doesn't enter the picture either.

Since we can't send PSE11 to the other computer to test if the margins come out right, how about installing PSE8 on this newer computer and try printing from there. Mostl likely you'll get the larger margins here as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines